Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Weather!

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:54 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Yay, it's finished uploading! It's full 1080p if you want to watch it in HD / fullscreen.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Nice work Geck. Sues glad I live in Sonoma Co. We still get our version of the White Stuff mornings but an old credit card usually sweeps it away for the morning drive
IF you come visit me, you're gonna need a BIGGER credit card :!: :!: Except for my front step... i have to go through waist-deep snow to get anywhere. The drifts were NOT kind to me this time. :no: :thumb_down: :shock:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:58 pm

geckzilla wrote:Yay, it's finished uploading! It's full 1080p if you want to watch it in HD / fullscreen.
Hey, nice video geckzilla. :yes: :clap: Youse is gettin good at this stuff. QUESTION: what's the blue screen thingie on the right side?? maybe you could include it more in the next video?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Blizzard Moves Through

This image was taken from NOAA's GOES-13 satellite on Saturday, Feb. 9, at 7:01 a.m. EST. Two low pressure systems came together and formed a giant nor'easter centered right over New England creating blizzards from Massachusetts to New York. the image was created by NASA's GOES Project at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.

Image credit: NOAA/NASA/GSFC/GOES Project
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Beyond wrote:QUESTION: what's the blue screen thingie on the right side?? maybe you could include it more in the next video?
Oh, I explained that on the video page but I'll write it here. It was Pat playing Civilization V on his computer. He played for a long time! I used that room to shoot from so the camera wouldn't bother me while I slept. It's not very loud but I am sensitive to things like that.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:42 pm

bystander wrote:

Blizzard Moves Through

This image was taken from NOAA's GOES-13 satellite on Saturday, Feb. 9, at 7:01 a.m. EST. Two low pressure systems came together and formed a giant nor'easter centered right over New England creating blizzards from Massachusetts to New York. the image was created by NASA's GOES Project at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.

Image credit: NOAA/NASA/GSFC/GOES Project
DON'T REMIND ME!! :no: :thumb_down:

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:44 am

geckzilla wrote:You gotta take a flying leap off the porch into that snow, Rob.
That's not the first time (and probably won't be the last) that I've been told to take a flying leap. :)

Rob

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:10 am

It's snowing here, too. We haven't got a lot of it, but more is on the way next week, and temperatures are going to be dropping.

No spring is on its way here, that's for sure! :evil:

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Of course, we don't need addresses! In most cases, even the resolution of state (or similar region in other countries) is sufficient. I just find myself frustrated quite often by comments where the location is relevant, and the poster hasn't provided that information in either the post or their profile.
Hippy Dippy weather reports at the Asterisk*
are much like sportscaster Biff Burns' basketball scores :arrow:
Last edited by neufer on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:56 pm

We got a splash of rain overnight; enough to get the ground wet! The forecast is for rain and snow; but really it looks like it is about over for the next week or so. The inclement weather looks like it is up North of us and headed toward the East! Looks like the here, the drought continues and Eastern states are going to get more snow! :cry:
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/ce ... s_loop.php
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 am

Endless grey sky, filled with fog making eyes unable to see neighbours and gardens, a limitation to adore what universe has given birth.

Dull days come and go, repeating cold wind and abandoned city, no laughter and no fun.

Cocooned in cosy homes, a shelter that has fire and light. Hot tea steaming in big cups with little green patterns.

A book that takes me to a world of numbers and diagramms, presenting the secrets of a bang no one has ever witnessed.

Glimpses from my small window, snowflakes whirl down, some fast - others waltz, hiding beneath them plain earth, white frost everywhere.

No one gives up believing a star will shine again on us, kissing rays on me. I will be effulgent.

M.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:38 am

That's a beautifully written weather lament, Moonlady.

I agree with you entirely!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Ann wrote:That's a beautifully written weather lament, Moonlady.

I agree with you entirely!

Ann
Now that there's two of you effulgenting, i have to wear sunglasses while in the Asterisk* :!: :lol2:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 pm

After a couple of weeks of early spring weather, temperatures in the high 50s and low 60s, occasional thunder showers, high humidity, and early morning fog, we get plunged back into winter. Forecasters are predicting 1 to 4 inches of snow for tomorrow.
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Shirt-sleeve weather yesterday. At 36 we've already hit the high for today. Big, fat, wet flakes of snow falling heavily. 2 to 5 inches expected. The good news is, we missed most of the wintry mix, with a change over straight from rain to snow. The ground temperature is so warm, not much will stick, and highs near 50 tomorrow will probably get rid of the rest. Oklahoma weather is so fickle.
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:14 pm

bystander wrote:Shirt-sleeve weather yesterday. At 36 we've already hit the high for today. Big, fat, wet flakes of snow falling heavily. 2 to 5 inches expected. The good news is, we missed most of the wintry mix, with a change over straight from rain to snow. The ground temperature is so warm, not much will stick, and highs near 50 tomorrow will probably get rid of the rest. Oklahoma weather is so fickle.
Sounds like New England. :mrgreen:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I was wrong about not sticking. It's coming down so heavily, we are getting quite an accumulation. It may exceed expectations.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer

Bystandomew and the Oobleck

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 pm

bystander wrote:
I was wrong about not sticking.

It's coming down so heavily, we are getting quite an accumulation.

It may exceed expectations.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:21 pm

bystander wrote:I was wrong about not sticking. It's coming down so heavily, we are getting quite an accumulation. It may exceed expectations.
sheesh! You're having Nebraska weather and were having Oklahoma weather! :mrgreen:
Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Nah, we're having typical Oklahoma weather (can't make up its mind). We're already above freezing, today, with bright sunshine, on our way to a high in the low 50s. The streets are all clear and dry, and the snow is already melting away. Officially, we had just over 3 inches in OKC, but when I got out for a while yesterday afternoon, there was over 4 inches on my car and it was still coming down. It probably wasn't much fun going to work this morning (not that I had to worry) with the refreeze over night, but it will all be gone today.
— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:12 pm

It's been a while since it snowed out here! Last week we had a little rain; but it was unmeasurable! :? It was supposed to snow then; but all we got was a flake of two! :shock: Kind of looks like the drought isn't broken yet! :no:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:42 pm

The weather radar shows that we may get some snow! Just how much; I don't know! I do not like the cold weather that goes along with snow, but we need the moisture! The predictions range from 3 to 10 inches! 8-)
Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:30 am

Must be spreading up your way. We started with snow this morning and then switched over to rain. We're supposed to have rain, freezing rain, and snow through tonight and tomorrow. Significantly colder than it has been, but the moisture is welcome.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussion ... isc=pmdspd
— Garrison Keillor

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:12 am

orin stepanek wrote:The weather radar shows that we may get some snow! Just how much; I don't know! I do not like the cold weather that goes along with snow, but we need the moisture! The predictions range from 3 to 10 inches! 8-)
Snow is coming our way, and lots of it!Forecasters predict that Kansas City could see as much as 10 inches of snow, which we haven't seen for who knows how long! Areas northwest of here (more specifically Manhattan, KS) may get up to 14 inches of snow! :shock: There may also be sleet and freezing rain as well, but it should stay farther down south as long as the low pressure system doesn't come too far north too soon. There may also be lightning and thunder with this storm as well, which I haven't seen for several years at all! Radar is currently showing the storm in Wichita and just west of Topeka. It should arrive at around 6:00 CDT tommorow morning. Can't wait! :) Also, that explosion at the Country Club Plaza last evening was pretty devastating. I've never eaten at JJ's before, so I kinda missed out. :cry: Sympathy to all those who went to the hospital and the one who died.
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 pm

So far; all we got was a dusting! A lot must be expected though; since all the schools around are taking a snow day or two! 8-)
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:48 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
So far; all we got was a dusting!

A lot must be expected though; since all the schools around are taking a snow day or two! 8-)
Well...enjoy your day off then, Orin. :wink:
Art Neuendorffer