HEAPOW: Endings and Beginnings (2012 Dec 31)

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

HEAPOW: Endings and Beginnings (2012 Dec 31)

Post by bystander » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Image HEAPOW: Endings and Beginnings (2012 Dec 31)

The year 2012 was notable for what it didn't bring - the end of the world. There was sufficient sadness, however. During this year we sadly said goodbye to Neil Armstrong. We also bid farewell to the Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer. But the year did bring a number of important advances to the world of high energy astrophysics: the launch of NuSTAR, which has given humanity a new vision of the Universe; an ever-growing number of gamma-ray sources, stretching from the earth's atmosphere to the edge of the Universe, studied with the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope; the discovery of the largest matter bridge in the Universe; and continuing, astonishing new studies with Chandra, XMM-Newton, Suzaku, Swift, INTEGRAL and other mighty space-based and balloon-borne observatories. A happy HEAPOW New Year, and stay tuned to be astonished in 2013.
<< Previous HEAPOW High Energy Astrophysics Picture of the Week Next HEAPOW >>
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

saturno2
Commander

Re: HEAPOW: Endings and Beginnings (2012 Dec 31)

Post by saturno2 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:15 pm

" It did´t bring the end of the world" OK
" This year did bring a number of important advances to the world of
high energy astrophysics" Very well
But I think that the best in 2012 was the arrive of Curiosity Rover to Mars and discovery the boson of Higgs.
A happy HEAPOW, New Year.
Last edited by saturno2 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:20 pm

That was covered in the "end of the world" link, saturn.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 pm

While the Higgs boson is certainly high energy physics, it is not high energy astrophysics, nor is Curiosity.
— Garrison Keillor

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:58 pm

geckzilla
bystander
Thanks for your explanations.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

"Fireballs of doom"

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:34 am

saturno2 wrote:
2012: " It did´t bring the end of the world" OK

But I think that the best in 2012 was the arrive of Curiosity Rover to Mars
and discovery the boson of Higgs.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/02/finding-the-higgs-good-news-finding-its-mass-not-so-good/ wrote:
Finding the Higgs? Good news.
Finding its mass? Not so good.

"Fireballs of doom" from a quantum phase change would wipe out present Universe.
by John Timmer, Arstechnica, Feb 19 2013

<<Ohio State's Christopher Hill joked he was showing scenes of an impending i-Product launch, and it was easy to believe him: young people were setting up mats in a hallway, ready to spend the night to secure a space in line for the big reveal. Except the date was July 3 and the location was CERN—where the discovery of the Higgs boson would be announced the next day.

It's clear the LHC worked as intended and has definitively identified a Higgs-like particle. Hill put the chance of the ATLAS detector having registered a statistical fluke at less than 10-11, and he noted that wasn't even considering the data generated by its partner, the CMS detector. But is it really the one-and-only Higgs and, if so, what does that mean? Hill was part of a panel that discussed those questions at the meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

As theorist Joe Lykken of Fermilab pointed out, the answers matter. If current results hold up, they indicate the Universe is currently inhabiting what's called a false quantum vacuum. If it were ever to reach the real one, its existing structures (including us), would go away in what Lykken called "fireballs of doom."

We'll look at the less depressing stuff first, shall we?

Zeroing in on the Higgs

Thanks to the Standard Model, we were able to make some very specific predictions about the Higgs. These include the frequency with which it will decay via different pathways: two gamma-rays, two Z bosons (which further decay to four muons), etc. We can also predict the frequency of similar looking events that would occur if there were no Higgs. We can then scan each of the decay pathways (called channels), looking for energies where there is an excess of events, or bump. Bumps have shown up in several channels in roughly the same place in both CMS and ATLAS, which is why we know there's a new particle.

But we still don't know precisely what particle it is. The Standard Model Higgs should have a couple of properties: it should be scalar and should have a spin of zero. According to Hill, the new particle is almost certainly scalar; he showed a graph where the alternative, pseudoscalar, was nearly ruled out. Right now, spin is less clearly defined. It's likely to be zero, but we haven't yet ruled out a spin of two. So far, so Higgs-like.

The Higgs is the particle form of a quantum field that pervades our Universe (it's a single quantum of the field), providing other particles with mass. In order to do that, its interactions with other particles vary—particles are heavier if they have stronger interactions with the Higgs. So, teams at CERN are sifting through the LHC data, checking for the strengths of these interactions. So far, with a few exceptions, the new particle is acting like the Higgs, although the error bars on these measurements are rather large.

As we said above, the Higgs is detected in a number of channels and each of them produces an independent estimate of its mass (along with an estimated error). As of the data Hill showed, not all of these estimates had converged on the same value, although they were all consistent within the given errors. These can also be combined mathematically for a single estimate, with each of the two detectors producing a value. So far, these overall estimates are quite close: CMS has the particle at 125.8GeV, Atlas at 125.2GeV. Again, the error bars on these values overlap.
Oops, there goes the Universe

That specific mass may seem fairly trivial—if it were 130GeV, would you care? Lykken made the argument you probably should. But he took some time to build to that.

Lykken pointed out, as the measurements mentioned above get more precise, we may find the Higgs isn't decaying at precisely the rates we expect it to. This may be because we have some details of the Standard Model wrong. Or, it could be a sign the Higgs is also decaying into some particles we don't know about—particles that are dark matter candidates would be a prime choice. The behavior of the Higgs might also provide some indication of why there's such a large excess of matter in the Universe.

But much of Lykken's talk focused on the mass. As we mentioned above, the Higgs field pervades the entire Universe; the vacuum of space is filled with it. And, with a value for the Higgs mass, we can start looking into the properties of the Higgs filed and thus the vacuum itself. "When we do this calculation," Lykken said, "we get a nasty surprise."

It turns out we're not living in a stable vacuum. Eventually, the Universe will reach a point where the contents of the vacuum are the lowest energy possible, which means it will reach the most stable state possible. The mass of the Higgs tells us we're not there yet, but are stuck in a metastable state at a somewhat higher energy. That means the Universe will be looking for an excuse to undergo a phase transition and enter the lower state.

What would that transition look like? In Lykken's words, again, "fireballs of doom will form spontaneously and destroy the Universe." Since the change would alter the very fabric of the Universe, anything embedded in that fabric—galaxies, planets, us—would be trashed during the transition. When an audience member asked "Are the fireballs of doom like ice-9?" Lykken replied, "They're even worse than that."

Lykken offered a couple of reasons for hope.

He noted the outcome of these calculations is extremely sensitive to the values involved. Simply shifting the top quark's mass by two percent to a value that's still within the error bars of most measurements, would make for a far more stable Universe.

And then there's supersymmetry. The news for supersymmetry out of the LHC has generally been negative, as various models with low-mass particles have been ruled out by the existing data (we'll have more on that shortly). But supersymmetry actually predicts five Higgs particles. (Lykken noted this by showing a slide with five different photos of Higgs taken at various points in his career, in which he was "differing in mass and other properties, as happens to all of us.") So, when the LHC starts up at higher energies in a couple of years, we'll actually be looking for additional, heavier versions of the Higgs. If those are found, then the destruction of our Universe would be permanently put on hold. "If you don't like that fate of the Universe," Lykken said, "root for supersymmetry"
>>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: "Fireballs of doom"

Post by bystander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:44 am

neufer wrote:
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/02/finding-the-higgs-good-news-finding-its-mass-not-so-good/ wrote:
Finding the Higgs? Good news.
Finding its mass? Not so good.
Higgs Boson Discovery = Cosmic Doomsday?
Discovery News | Irene Klotz | 2013 Feb 19

Higgs may spell doom, unless supersymmetry saves us
New Scientist | Short Sharp Science | Lisa Grossman | 2013 Feb 20
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 pm

http://www.bhagavgita.org/Gita/verse-08-17.html
Madhvacarya's Commentary on Bhagavad Gita, Ch.8 v.17
Lord Krishna ... cites the potency of His unmanifest Brahman by the example of the cyclic dissolution of creation referring to Brahma's day. The literal meaning for sahasra is one 1000; but actually it means innumerable for in innumerable creations is dissolution taking place periodically.

The Brahman or the spiritual substratum pervading all creation is a manifestation of the Supreme Lord and is supreme as well being the shadow of the universal form. Here Lord Krishna speaks of dissolution at the end of Brahma's day. Everything comes into creation by the unmanifest. One Maha Yugas consists of Satya Yuga, Treta Yuga, Dvarapa Yuga and Kali Yuga equalling 4,320,000 years multiplied by 1000 is 4 billion 320 million years and is a day of Brahma. The same duration is his night both combined equal 8 billion 640 million years and which is known as a kalpa.. A year of Brahma is 360 of such kalpas totalling 26 trillion 438 billion and 400 million years and Brahma lives for 100 of these years.

The Kurma Purana states: For as long as the life of Brahma is a day for the Supreme Lord and after begins His night. When His night falls everything gets merged back into Him and when His day dawns everything emanates out again and creation begins anew.
Wikipedia gives 1238 CE - 1317 CE as the dates for Madhvacarya (also transliterated as Madhvacharya)

Just thinkin' ...

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Kinda like... BIG BANG... UN-BANG... BIG BANG... UN-BANG... BIG BANG... UN-BANG. Isn't that a yo-yo :?: :?: Looks like Tom Smothers was right :!: It's all in the power of YO. :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Beyond wrote:Kinda like... BIG BANG... UN-BANG... BIG BANG... UN-BANG... BIG BANG... UN-BANG. Isn't that a yo-yo :?: :?: Looks like Tom Smothers was right :!: It's all in the power of YO. :yes:
It looks to me like you have a masterful grasp of Hindu cosmology... Let's just hope Brahma doesn't let go off that string :facepalm:
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Ah... but who's got ahold of Brahma :?: that's the question. Actually i know nothing of anything Hindi. It's just that everything has a lot more in common with everything else, than is realized. It's just a matter of understanding what is being described, by different words than you are used to hearing.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Beyond wrote: ... It's just that everything has a lot more in common with everything else, than is realized. It's just a matter of understanding what is being described, by different words than you are used to hearing.
I think that is rather a profound observation, Beyond. Worth pondering on. (I could really do with smiley here, looking like the statue of The Thinker. See if you can imagine one.)

M

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:
Beyond wrote: ... It's just that everything has a lot more in common with everything else, than is realized. It's just a matter of understanding what is being described, by different words than you are used to hearing.
I think that is rather a profound observation, Beyond. Worth pondering on. (I could really do with smiley here, looking like the statue of The Thinker. See if you can imagine one.)

M
Image Image

This one is more like a smiley, but it might not be what you were looking for: Image

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Ann wrote:
MargaritaMc wrote:

M
Image Image

This one is more like a smiley, but it might not be what you were looking for: Image

What a Image you are, Ann :!: :lol2:

Ann