Can anyone explain 'Synodic Period' to me?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Can anyone explain 'Synodic Period' to me?

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:10 pm

I have read what Wikipedia says but just cannot ' get it. :bang:

I understand (I think) what is meant by a Synodical Month, as in from New Moon to New Moon. But I just do not understand why, say, the synodic period of Saturn is 378 days although its orbital period is more than 29 years. And, according to Wikipedia, the synodic period of Mars is 779 days - more than Saturn's...

Is there any kind soul out there who would like to attempt to enlighten me? :cry:

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: Can anyone explain 'Synodic Period' to me?

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter#section_6

Earth overtakes Jupiter every 398.9 days as it orbits the Sun, a duration called the synodic period. As it does so, Jupiter appears to undergo retrograde motion with respect to the background stars. That is, for a period Jupiter seems to move backward in the night sky, performing a looping motion.
So I think that I have found the answer to my own question: it is when the planet concerned and the Earth line up again... :clap:

Margarita - (well she is only learning...) :derp:
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:I have read what Wikipedia says but just cannot ' get it. :bang:

I understand (I think) what is meant by a Synodical Month, as in from New Moon to New Moon. But I just do not understand why, say, the synodic period of Saturn is 378 days although its orbital period is more than 29 years. And, according to Wikipedia, the synodic period of Mars is 779 days - more than Saturn's...

Is there any kind soul out there who would like to attempt to enlighten me?
The (sidereal) orbital period of any body is simply the time it takes to complete one orbit, relative to the stars. That period depends on the distance of the body from the Sun (as given by Kepler's Third Law). For the Earth, of course, the period is one year. Inferior planets have periods shorter than that, superior ones have longer periods.

The synodic period of a planet is a measure of how long it takes to appear in the same place as seen from Earth (typically with respect to the Sun). For planets close to the Earth, both our orbit and theirs are significant factors in determining the period. For distant planets, the period is determined almost completely by our own sidereal period, since the distant planet only moves a little in a year.

A planet that is far enough away is moving so slowly that it only shifts a little against the background stars over one orbit of the Earth, so its synodic period is very close to Earth's sidereal period.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Thank you, Chris - that clarifies it beautifully for me. It is one of those things that is obvious once explained clearly - but the Wikipedia article that dealt specifically with synodic periods was, err, not one of that wonderful website's best efforts.

Margarita