A 2001 Apod...

The cosmos at our fingertips.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

A 2001 Apod...

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 am

This actually is something that resulted from following links from today's Apod, but the query I have is so tangential that I thought it best to post it here.

The link is to http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap010510.html which is entitled 'Spirals on Edge'. All the galaxies are named, so I looked them up for more info. However, none of the links from my Google search told me anything about the bright object (a star?) that is in the bottom right of the picture, in between the images of NGC 5907 and NGC 4217.

This Apod dates from before the launch of the Starship Asterisk, so no discussion is available to enlighten me!

I think the object is linked to the image of NGC 4217 not 5907.
Any ideas? :?:

Many thanks!
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: A 2001 Apod...

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:05 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:This actually is something that resulted from following links from today's Apod, but the query I have is so tangential that I thought it best to post it here.

The link is to http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap010510.html which is entitled 'Spirals on Edge'. All the galaxies are named, so I looked them up for more info. However, none of the links from my Google search told me anything about the bright object (a star?) that is in the bottom right of the picture, in between the images of NGC 5907 and NGC 4217.
It's a mag 7 star near NGC 4217 (compare with the mag 9 star which is even closer to the galaxy). The star appears in many catalogs, but only as a number (eg HIP 59760, HD 106556) because it isn't bright enough to see visually and apparently isn't very interesting scientifically. It only appears dramatic in this image because the long exposure required to capture the galaxy totally overexposed the comparatively bright star.

In general, when you see bright objects in deep sky images that show diffraction spikes, they are almost always stars.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm

The star is a foreground object in our galaxy, in the constellation Canes Venatici, the Hunting Dogs. Interestingly, this faint constellation is well placed for northern observers: the star is located just "below" the Big Dipper!

Here you can see a picture of the galaxy and the star, although the orientation of the picture is different. In the picture that I've provided a link to, the bright star is at upper left. The star has a designation, HD 106556. Its V magnitude (visual magnitude, or brightness as measured through a yellow-green filter) is 7.28. That means that the star is too faint to be spotted without optical aid. The faintest stars that can be spotted with the naked eye by people with good eyesight, observing from a very dark site, have a V magnitude of about 6.0.

However, HD 106556 is an intrinsically bright star. It is a red giant star, a star that perhaps started out much like our own Sun, but which has since used up all the hydrogen in its core and moved its hydrogen fusion "outward" into a shell around its core, causing its outer layers to swell mightily.

HD 106556 is, interestingly, slightly similar to the Sun in that it belongs to spectral class G just like the Sun, although HD 106556 is cooler than the Sun. Its spectral class is G5II, whereas the Sun's spectral class is G2V. Although I just described HD 106556 as a red giant, its color is too similar to that of the Sun to be called red. We might call it a yellow giant.

HD 106556 has a very small parallax. That means that when the satellite Hipparcos scanned the sky in order to find out how much the stars appeared to move in relation to one another as the Earth about 300 million kilometers in the sky in six months, HD 106556 moved so little that Hipparcos couldn't be sure it could detect any parallax at all. However, HD 106556 most definitely belongs to our own galaxy, and my software assumes that it is 2250 ± 900 light-years away, and that it is several hundred times as bright as the Sun.

Interestingly, there is another star which is of interest here, which is seen right next to the disk of NGC 4217. This star is too faint to have a HD number, but it has a SAO number, SAO 44095. It also has a Hipparcos number, HIP 59810. The V magnitude of this star is 8.99 or 9.00. Its spectral class, according to my software, is G8III, so this is another giant star which is fusing hydrogen to helium in a shell around its core. It is however clearly fainter than HD 105665. Not only does it look fainter to us in the sky, but it is probably a little nearer than HD 106556, probably less than a thousand light-years. My software estimates that its absolute V magnitude is about fifteen times that of the Sun!

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Thank you, Chris and Ann. What a fund of knowledge you are!
Chris, you wrote
It only appears dramatic in this image because the long exposure required to capture the galaxy totally overexposed the comparatively bright star.

In general, when you see bright objects in deep sky images that show diffraction spikes, they are almost always stars.
Ah - of course. It is obvious once explained. :!:

Margarita,
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS