Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Moonlady
Selenian

Re: Weather!

Post by Moonlady » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:08 pm

geckzilla wrote:Breezy Point is a flood prone area, though. You'd have to be crazy not to insure it for that! ...And crazy as an insurer to issue the insurance, too. Then again, don't the insurance policies all have exemptions from the nebulous "acts of god" clause? That's always confused me.
That is in Germany called "Force of Nature" and that is not covered by home insurances. And its also not easy to differ what is really covered by insurances,
therefore you need a lawyer to understand what you signed.

Chris, wouldnt insurances blame the nature, here hurricane, causing fire and burning homes to get away paying?

How big can a hurricane get? And how long would it last? Would it turn around earth several times? :shock:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:08 pm

To those of you who often post here, and who live in the eastern parts of the United States or Canada: Are you okay?

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Ann wrote:
To those of you who often post here, and who live in the eastern parts of the United States or Canada:

Are you okay?
No...but then I was quite right long before Sandy.
Art Neuendorffer

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:27 pm

geckzilla wrote:Flooded houses catch fire in the presence of some kind of accelerant, like natural gas leaking from broken pipes.
Ah. I forgot about natural gas.
geckzilla wrote:I don't think it even comes close to the devastation of Katrina, at least as far as life, property and breadth of area affected are concerned, unless I live in a strange, unaffected bubble just far enough away from the chaos not to notice.
Guess I'd better hit those liquor stores, then! :mrgreen:
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:11 pm

geckzilla wrote:
I don't think it even comes close to the devastation of Katrina,
at least as far as life, property and breadth of area affected are concerned,
But Sandy caused more blizzard & subway devastation than Katrina!

Costliest U.S. Atlantic hurricanes Source: NOAA

Code: Select all

Rank 	Hurricane 	Season 	Damages
--------------------------------------------------------
1 	   Katrina 	 2005 	$108 billion
2 	   Ike 	     2008 	$29.5 billion
3 	   Andrew 	  1992 	$26.5 billion
4 	   Wilma 	   2005 	$20.6 billion
5 	   Irene 	   2011 	$19 billion
6 	   Ivan 	    2004 	$18.8 billion
7 	   Charley 	 2004 	$15.1 billion
8 	   Rita 	    2005 	$12 billion
9 	   Frances 	 2004 	$9.51 billion
10 	  Allison 	 2001 	$9 billion
"Some analysts have put Sandy's damages somewhere between $5 and $10 billion dollars,
making it one of the top 10 most expensive storms in U.S. history."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston_Hurricane_of_1900 wrote:
<<The Hurricane of 1900 made landfall on September 8, 1900 in the city of Galveston, Texas, in the United States. It had estimated winds of 145 miles per hour at landfall, making it a Category 4 storm on the Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Scale. It was the deadliest hurricane in US history, and the second costliest hurricane in US history based on the US dollar's 2005 value (to compare costs with those of Hurricane Katrina and others).

The hurricane caused great loss of life with the estimated death toll between 6,000 and 12,000 individuals; the number most cited in official reports is 8,000, giving the storm the third-highest number of deaths or injuries of any Atlantic hurricane, after the Great Hurricane of 1780 and 1998's Hurricane Mitch. The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 is the deadliest natural disaster ever to strike the United States. By contrast, the second-deadliest storm to strike the United States, the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane, caused more than 2,500 deaths, and the deadliest storm of recent times, Hurricane Katrina, claimed the lives of approximately 1,800 people.>>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:12 am

And nore destruction of lab mice... poor fellers
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:55 pm

I think what the weather has done to the east coast is pretty much summed up in the last few seconds of this 2 1/2 minute video clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PochL9uL-Y
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:10 pm

The question here is, which will last longer... 3 different cars all with mostly full gas tanks, or the gas shortage? (we really shouldn't have 3 cars... but we do)
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:23 pm

geckzilla wrote:The question here is, which will last longer... 3 different cars all with mostly full gas tanks, or the gas shortage? (we really shouldn't have 3 cars... but we do)
Well we have 2 cars and a pickup! We needed all at the time; but since my wife retired; my pickup is stowed for the coming winter and my son's car gets very little usage! :roll:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Ahh! It rained yesterday; and last night! Wasn't much; but at least it got everything wet! :D
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:09 pm

It rained again last night and we got about .65" and it was about 77F outside! Today it is 21F; what a turnaround!
reminds me of that old song "Oh Susanna"! :wink: :D
It rained all night the day I left
The weather it was dry
The sun so hot, I froze to death
Susannah, don't you cry. :wink:
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:23 pm

It's been snowing all day today. The weather reports say that the cold weather will continue, and we will get more snow.

Now begins the time of year when I don't want to get out. :(

Ann
Color Commentator

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:36 pm

We got a dusting of snow two nights ago, but it's warming up again, to about 7°C today and as high as 10°C by Tuesday. That's good, because I haven't planted my garlic yet!

Many years we don't have snow for Christmas here, getting most of it in late January through early March. But it all depends on the battle between continental and ocean weather patterns. If the former win, it's cold and dry here, as it was last year when we ended up with less than 20cm of snow for the whole winter. If the latter win, we get more snow than we know what to do with.

Here are two pics contrasting the "big" blizzard of last year, which occurred Jan. 13th, with one from Nov. 28th 2008, showing our front steps in both.
blizzard-2012.jpg
blizzard-2008.jpg
Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Ann wrote:It's been snowing all day today. The weather reports say that the cold weather will continue, and we will get more snow.
Lucky you! Our drought just continues to drag on, and it's not even cold enough to require wearing a jacket. Barely hitting freezing, even at night. No snow, but lots of dust...
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:43 pm

tt-n-to-e-7688309666tt20121201.gif
Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:
It's been snowing all day today. The weather reports say that the cold weather will continue, and we will get more snow.
Lucky you! Our drought just continues to drag on, and
it's not even cold enough to require wearing a jacket.
Barely hitting freezing, even at night.
No snow, but lots of dust...
[list]A warm Arctic Ocean makes for
large gyrations in the jet stream. :arrow:[/list]
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:It's been snowing all day today. The weather reports say that the cold weather will continue, and we will get more snow.
Lucky you! Our drought just continues to drag on, and it's not even cold enough to require wearing a jacket. Barely hitting freezing, even at night. No snow, but lots of dust...
We did get a snow last week; but it was so light that it was all melted in half an hour! Sounds like the drought will extend through next year unless there is a change in the weather patterns. :? :cry:
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

orin stepanek wrote:We did get a snow last week; but it was so light that it was all melted in half an hour! Sounds like the drought will extend through next year unless there is a change in the weather patterns. :? :cry:
Ouch. We're paying double for hay what we were a couple of years ago. Might need to drive halfway across the country even to find any if this keeps up much longer.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:Ouch. We're paying double for hay what we were a couple of years ago. Might need to drive halfway across the country even to find any if this keeps up much longer.
I've heard of container loads of hay being shipped out of eastern Canada, bound for distant ports. There seems to be quite a business in shipping hay all over the world, from where it grows to where it's needed. But if you're smack dab in the middle of a dought region, acquiring hay will continue to get more and more difficult and expensive. You might have to eventually trade in old Nelly on one of those new-fangled mountain bikes. (Don't tell Nelly I said that.)

Rob

neufer

Typhoon Bopha

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Bopha_%282012%29 wrote: <<Typhoon Bopha is currently a powerful tropical cyclone which formed unusually close to the equator. Bopha, a Cambodian word for flower or a girl, became the second most southerly Category 5 super typhoon on December 3, at 7.4°N, with winds in excess of 160 mph (260 km/h). The record is held by Typhoon Louise of 1964, which was a Category 5 storm at 7.3°N. After affecting Palau, Bopha made landfall late on December 3 over Mindanao, an island devastated by Washi in December 2011, becoming the strongest tropical cyclone to hit Mindanao in the past two decades. The storm caused widespread destruction on Mindanao, leaving thousands homeless and more than 300 fatalities.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:24 am

Photo: SCANPIX
It's sure snowing here. Snow, snow, snow.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:22 am

Ann wrote:
Photo: SCANPIX
It's sure snowing here. Snow, snow, snow.

Ann
Ahh... it looks so refreshing. Especially wilst watching it through the window, in a comfy chair, with a Big mug of hot chocolate in your hand. :yes: :thumb_up: :clap:
Or... from an entirely different country. :lol2:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 pm

I just checked out the weather channel for the local 10 day forecast, and the prediction for Sunday is a high of 27F! I didn't see any sign of a possibility of moisture for the near future. :cry:
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Hoping for lots of snow, Orin?

(I would not like a high of 27°F, but if it's going to be that cold, it should be snowing! That's the only thing that could make that temperature worthwhile in my book!)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:57 pm

owlice wrote:Hoping for lots of snow, Orin?
When the cold didn't bother me; I really liked snow! Now; however, I don't like snow! While it is pretty to look at; it brings too much (Brrrr!) cold! :wink: If it piles high enough; it gets to be burdensome! :mrgreen: :lol2: i guess we need it as it's been bad dry here!
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:55 am

owlice wrote:Hoping for lots of snow, Orin?

(I would not like a high of 27°F, but if it's going to be that cold, it should be snowing! That's the only thing that could make that temperature worthwhile in my book!)
Would that happen to be the Snow White book, by any chance :?: :mrgreen: