Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Weather!

Post by geckzilla » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Say goodbye to the warmth, old man mantis. Soon you'll be dead. But not before I can grab you and take a photo of you like the silly human I am.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Lettuce prey

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:02 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis wrote: <<Mantodea (or mantises, mantes) is an order of insects that contains over 2,400 valid species and about 430 genera in 15 families worldwide in temperate and tropical habitats. All Mantids belong to the insect order Mantodea. Mantodea comes from the Greek word μάντις (pronounced mantis) meaning prophet [plus] the Greek word εἶδος meaning form or shape. The English common name for any species in the order is "praying mantis", because of the typical "prayer-like" attitude with folded fore-limbs, although the eggcorn "preying mantis" is sometimes used in reference to their predatory habits. In Europe and other regions, however, the name "praying mantis" refers to only a single species, Mantis religiosa. The closest relatives of mantises are the termites and cockroaches (order Blattodea). They are sometimes confused with phasmids (stick/leaf insects) and other elongated insects such as grasshoppers and crickets.

One theory for the evolution of the species is that mantises evolved from proto-cockroaches, diverging from their common ancestors by the Cretaceous period, possibly from species like Raphidiomimula burmitica, a predatory cockroach with mantis-like forelegs. Possibly the earliest known modern mantis is Regiata scutra, although more common (and confirmed) is Santanmantis, a stilt-legged genus, also from the Cretaceous. Like their close termite cousins, though, mantises did not become common and diverse until the early Tertiary period.

One of the earliest mantis references is in the ancient Chinese dictionary Erya, which gives its attributes in poetry (representing courage and fearlessness), as well as a brief description. Western descriptions of the biology and morphology of the mantises had become relatively accurate by the 18th century. Roesel von Rosenhof accurately illustrated and described them in the Insekten-Belustigungen (Insect Entertainments). Aldous Huxley made philosophical observations about the nature of death while two mantises mated in the sight of two characters in the novel Island.

The naturalist Gerald Durrell's autobiography My Family and Other Animals includes an account of a very evenly matched battle between a mantis and a gecko. Based upon empirical evidence, the Australian mantis has been known to strike fear amongst the native Australian gecko causing great avoidance tendencies as it marks its territory.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:57 pm

geckzilla wrote:Say goodbye to the warmth, old man mantis. Soon you'll be dead. But not before I can grab you and take a photo of you like the silly human I am.
Hey! ya missed one.
cute-animals-tiny-manits1.jpg
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Beyond wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Say goodbye to the warmth, old man mantis. Soon you'll be dead. But not before I can grab you and take a photo of you like the silly human I am.
Hey! ya missed one.
WOW ... I guess cold weather does cause shrinkage

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:38 am

I love those little baby mantises. Back at my dad's house they would appear every year so I've actually seen a lot more baby mantises than adult ones. He was still hanging out on the window screen when I checked at dinner. What's an old mantis to do with himself as the weather grows colder and the prey disappears?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:28 am

geckzilla wrote:I love those little baby mantises. Back at my dad's house they would appear every year so I've actually seen a lot more baby mantises than adult ones. He was still hanging out on the window screen when I checked at dinner. What's an old mantis to do with himself as the weather grows colder and the prey disappears?
DIE!!
As all the rest of them do in a winter season. Only the eggs survive till next year, according to Yahoo Answers.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:34 am

geckzilla, try feeding him a tiny bit of raw ground beef.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Man, this old mantis... ok, so I caved and I brought it inside. I had it in a jar but it tapped the side constantly in the saddest way a mantis could look. So I let it onto my desk and it was content to simply climb as high as it could and perch there. It just sits there, doing nothing in particular but cleaning itself now and then. So I went out and looked under a rock. Lots of pill bugs, a centipede, and a couple of small earthworms. I picked a worm. I put the mantis on the floor and the worm on the floor so there would be a lot of contrast between the worm and the floor and he still barely saw it. It put its head closer and closer like it wasn't sure it was moving or not and then snatched it up. It's still chewing on the worm as I write this. :shock: The vision might be worse than I originally thought. The last mantis I fed snatched a grasshopper out of my fingers before I even had a chance to think or the hopper had a chance to do more than flick an antenna.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:47 pm

The gecko has a pet! :-)

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Ugh, so irresponsible to feed a pet something dangerous like that for the sake of entertainment.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:32 pm

Geckzilla gets a ♥ from me!

Some days ago, I was cycling at night and I saw a hedgehog unmoving on the street, I stopped to look at it, if it is hurt, if I hadnt stopped a coming car was going to
kill it!
I wondered if it is damaged and brought it home, there it opened up and took a good look around, I googled what I could do before I bring it back into nature, and
red that they eat catfood, I had still some catfood and gave it to eat (I got the catfood to spoil my neighbours cat in the summer lol). I called a pet shelter to be sure
for what I shall take a look and that the hedgehog is doing fine. The hedgehog ate a lot catfood and seemed happy.
At morning we went to a big garden with fruit trees with hopefully a lot or worms and I left it there. It's time for them to prepare for the coming winter and sleep a lot.
Is there an astronomical naming after hedgehogs?
Attachments
My guest the hedgehog - the red disk is a frisbee disk with water
My guest the hedgehog - the red disk is a frisbee disk with water

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:49 pm

:clap: :thumb_up: :yes: ♥ to you, Moonlady!

Are there any objects in the heavens that have been named after hedgehogs? Beats me. None of the 88 constellations in the sky bears a hedgehog name, and no star that I know of does, either. (By the way, what is a hedgehog name?)

But let me say this: The odds are astronomical that there are hedgehogs anywhere else in the universe than on the Earth. We therefore have a responsibility to protect the hedgehog.

Moonlady, you just saved a miracle of the universe from being run over by a car!

(And geckzilla, you just saved a praying mantis, whose species is equally certainly confined to one planet in the universe only, the Earth. So thank you both for making the universe a slightly richer and happier place.)

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Ah, I don't think I saved it. It's still going to die. He's just an old man living out his final days ... sitting on the orchid, preening, for now. And I'm sure the earthworm would have rather remained under the rock.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:04 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog#Predators wrote:

<<As with most small mammals living around humans, cars pose a great threat to hedgehogs.

Hedgehog bones have been found in the pellets of the European Eagle Owl.

In 2006, McDonald's changed the design of their McFlurry containers to be more hedgehog-friendly. Previously, hedgehogs would get their heads stuck in the container as they tried to lick the remaining food from inside the cup. Then, being unable to get out, they would starve to death. Domesticated hedgehogs display this behavior by getting their head stuck in tubes (commonly, lavatory paper tubes) and walking around with the tube on their head. Hedgehog owners often refer to this as "tubing" and promote the behavior by supplying clean tubes. Most owners are considerate enough, however, to cut the tubes lengthwise so as to prevent the hedgehog from remaining trapped against their will. Curiously though, some will still knowingly get themselves stuck for a few hours.

Hedgehogs are a food source in many cultures. Hedgehogs were eaten in Ancient Egypt and some recipes of the Late Middle Ages call for hedgehog meat. In the Middle East and especially among Bedouins, hedgehog meat is considered medicinal, and thought to cure rheumatism and arthritis. Romani people supposedly still eat it, boiled or roasted, and also use the blood and the fat for its supposed medicinal value. During the 1980s, "hedgehog-flavour" crisps were introduced in Britain, although the product did not contain any hedgehog.>>
------------------------------------------------------------
  • . Macbeth Act 4, Scene 1

Second Witch: Thrice and once the hedge-pig whined.
  • . King Richard III Act 1, Scene 2

LADY ANNE: Dost grant me, hedgehog? then, God grant me too
  • Thou mayst be damned for that wicked deed!
  • . A Midsummer Night's Dream Act 2, Scene 2

[The Fairies sing]

You spotted snakes with double tongue,
    Thorny hedgehogs, be not seen;
    Newts and blind-worms, do no wrong,
    Come not near our fairy queen.
    Philomel, with melody
    Sing in our sweet lullaby;
    Lulla, lulla, lullaby, lulla, lulla, lullaby:
    Never harm,
    Nor spell nor charm,
    Come our lovely lady nigh;
    So, good night, with lullaby.
    Weaving spiders, come not here;
    Hence, you long-legg'd spinners, hence!
    Beetles black, approach not near;
    Worm nor snail, do no offence.
    Philomel, with melody, &c.

• . The Tempest Act 2, Scene 2

CALIBAN: All the infections that the sun sucks up
  • From bogs, fens, flats, on Prosper fall and make him
    By inch-meal a disease! His spirits hear me
    And yet I needs must curse. But they'll nor pinch,
    Fright me with urchin--shows, pitch me i' the mire,
    Nor lead me, like a firebrand, in the dark
    Out of my way, unless he bid 'em; but
    For every trifle are they set upon me;
    Sometime like apes that mow and chatter at me
    And after bite me, then like hedgehogs which
    Lie tumbling in my barefoot way and mount
    Their pricks at my footfall; sometime am I
    All wound with adders who with cloven tongues
    Do hiss me into madness.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:39 pm

heh,heh, the weather thread has taken a turn for the critters. I don't mind whether or not there's critters, cause weather can be rather boreing sometimes. It's a good thing the Captain of the Asterisk* encourages off-topic wanderings in this Open Space Forum, or a certain Admin. may have had to have a chat with her self. That being said, for what ever reason, i think we all expect updates on old man mantis. Perhaps he may be the first mantis to make it through a New England winter :?:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:59 pm

It rained last night! :shock: We actually got some rain! 8-) The storm rolled in last night at about 2:30 AM CDT; and with very loud thunder and bright lightning flashes; dumped an inch of rain! :roll: I guess we're beginning to live right again! :wink: Why the ground was actually still wet at sunup! :D
Picture from wiki!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:46 pm

orin stepanek wrote:It rained last night! :shock: We actually got some rain! 8-) The storm rolled in last night at about 2:30 AM CDT; and with very loud thunder and bright lightning flashes; dumped an inch of rain! :roll: I guess we're beginning to live right again! :wink: Why the ground was actually still wet at sunup! :D
Picture from wiki!
Nice to hear you're all wet, orin. :D

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:49 pm

Geckzilla, if the mantis doesn't make it til spring, try this for a pet. It even comes with a friend.
cute-animals-interspecies-love-slow-down-butterfly.jpg

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:32 am

Awww, Beyond!! :D :D :D :D

Hey, we need a "sweet or funny or interesting animals" thread! I'm one of those who loves adorable kittens. So if you want to read about an adorable Kitty and puppy, check this out!

Ann
Color Commentator

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:46 am

Ann , we can still use this one:

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 3&start=75

hey Neufer, thanks for the hedgehog lines, now I can memorize Shakespear better!
I feel like a nerd already...

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 pm

I don't know just how many times I have come across a praying mantis over the last couple months. For some reason, they're attracted to my house! I've seen them on the front door, along the windows, and a couple somehow got inside. It's not like I have anything against them, it's just that they can be rather... extrusive...? Well, yeah. I should try carving a figure of a praying mantis in a pumpkin for Halloween this year.

But anyway, I got basically what Orin got over the last few days. :wink:

And catfood?! Hedgehogs really eat catfood? I didn't know that!
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:29 pm

TNT wrote: I should try carving a figure of a praying mantis in a pumpkin for Halloween this year.
Oh, if you do that, please post a picture!!
TNT wrote: And catfood?! Hedgehogs really eat catfood? I didn't know that!
Birds will eat it, too; I've got mighty well-fed starlings, blue jays, and cardinals around my house, as they steal what they can from my feral fluffies.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:45 pm

You ever taste cat food? I was curious one day. Not much flavor.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:01 pm

geckzilla wrote:You ever taste cat food? I was curious one day. Not much flavor.
Ya gotta be a cat to like it! :wink: :D
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!