Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Weather!

Post by bystander » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:59 am

Isaac has apparently been downgraded from a hurricane to a storm. That's very good to hear.

Over here, we had an absolutely lovely day yesterday. Sunshine, 22C, little wind - what more can you ask?

If only the weather had been like this more often during the summer!

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:28 am

The cooler weather only lasted for a few days and then it was back to it's old tricks of 96+'s! :( Today was 100; and that last rain was only a fly-by! The weather channel predicts rain that doesn't come. :?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... V0bWEYsBow I'll be glad when this year is in the books. :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 am

orin stepanek wrote:The cooler weather only lasted for a few days and then it was back to it's old tricks of 96+'s! :( Today was 100; and that last rain was only a fly-by! The weather channel predicts rain that doesn't come. :?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... V0bWEYsBow I'll be glad when this year is in the books. :mrgreen:
ha-ha, the weather guys also don't predict rain that does come. In years past, I've had many a foot of white stuff on the ground, from what was supposed to have been a sunny day.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:59 am

Beyond wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:The cooler weather only lasted for a few days and then it was back to it's old tricks of 96+'s! :( Today was 100; and that last rain was only a fly-by! The weather channel predicts rain that doesn't come. :?
ha-ha, the weather guys also don't predict rain that does come. In years past, I've had many a foot of white stuff on the ground, from what was supposed to have been a sunny day.
That's dandruff you've had...

It's cloudy here and 22°C.
you realize that asphalt has a liquid stage......
When I was years back in Turkey (not the bird Beyond :wink: ), the summer was extremely hot and the asphalt melted, the government announced to stop traffic and no one
was allowed to drive.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Beyond wrote:
My favorite forecast is 50% chance of rain... it's a win win!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Orin, sorry to say, Issac drenched us with nearly five inches of rain! That helped Kansas City fall from an exceptional drought to a severe drought! However, the drought still is not at its end; today is day 100. Currently, it is raining here.
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:35 am

TNT wrote: Orin, sorry to say, Issac drenched us with nearly five inches of rain! That helped Kansas City fall from an exceptional drought to a severe drought! However, the drought still is not at its end; today is day 100. Currently, it is raining here.
Wow Issac didn't reach this far west; yesterday we got a few sprinkles! Others parts of the states got some rain! KC is only about 270 miles from here so it didn't miss us by much!
Orin

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Tornado warning here today. Didn't really experience much wind but there was a lot of rain. Wondering if another area of the city got torn up again. It's happened already so recently I can't imagine the trees have much more weakness to offer. They've already been stripped down to their strongest boughs earlier in the year.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Wow, there really was a tornado. It was out on one of the barrier islands about 10 miles south of me. This kind of scenery even without the tornado is very atypical of the rest of Queens.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=180_1347124048
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:40 am

A cold front moved in and guess what? We are getting some rain. It is a soft slow steady rain and it looks looks like it could last half the night! :D I don't think there will be much runoff as the ground is really dry! :wink:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Well: we only got .30" but it was a nice slow cold rain so I think most of it went into the ground! it would be nice to get about 3 of those a week for a couple of weeks to green things up again! :)
Orin

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Orin,
Try washing your car… that usually works for me.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks, Orin, for sending the cooler weather and rain this way. Don't know how much rain we're getting, but it's been raining steadily for a couple of hours.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Weather is here most of the time cloudy and the clouds can't decide if they should let loose water or not, it isn't dry and it's not really raining, forecast
tells that it will be a sunny weekend, maybe the last hot weekend this year, I want to make on sunday finally the long long ago planned boat tour in the little river with some friends :D
And I will sing 'I am sailing' :D , or maybe it will be 'what shall we do with the drunken sailor' :lol2:
If we would swimm continously in Lahn, we would end in the big Rhine river which flows through Netherlands before joining North Sea, I hope no one of us falls asleep :lol2:

I found this amazing weather forecast chart
Attachments
hangs here: Porthallow, Cornwall, UK
hangs here: Porthallow, Cornwall, UK

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:03 pm

emc wrote:Hi Orin,
Try washing your car… that usually works for me.
You won't believe this; but I did wash the car on Tuesday! :lol2: :wink:
bystander wrote:Thanks, Orin, for sending the cooler weather and rain this way. Don't know how much rain we're getting, but it's been raining steadily for a couple of hours.
Your welcome! :wink: :wink: :clap: :thumb_up: I really shouldn't take credit for it; as it was not in my abilities! Shhh! :D
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Moonlady wrote:Weather is here most of the time cloudy and the clouds can't decide if they should let loose water or not, it isn't dry and it's not really raining, forecast
tells that it will be a sunny weekend, maybe the last hot weekend this year, I want to make on sunday finally the long long ago planned boat tour in the little river with some friends :D
And I will sing 'I am sailing' :D , or maybe it will be 'what shall we do with the drunken sailor' :lol2:
If we would swimm continously in Lahn, we would end in the big Rhine river which flows through Netherlands before joining North Sea, I hope no one of us falls asleep :lol2:

I found this amazing weather forecast chart
How about

Just sit right back
and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a fateful trip,
that started from this tropic port,
aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
the Skipper brave and sure,
five passengers set sail that day,
for a three hour tour,
A three hour tour.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:31 pm

emc wrote:My favorite forcast is 50% chance of rain... it's a win win!
I think you're 'bucking' the odds on that one, ED. :lol2:

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
bystander wrote:Thanks, Orin, for sending the cooler weather and rain this way. Don't know how much rain we're getting, but it's been raining steadily for a couple of hours.
Your welcome! :wink: :wink: :clap: :thumb_up: I really shouldn't take credit for it; as it was not in my abilities! Shhh! :D
Orin, I must thank you as well! The temperatures have dropped to the low sixties today thanks to that cold front. It is also raining here as well, so we could get between half an inch to an inch of rain! :D
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Moonlady wrote:I found this amazing weather forecast chart
Porthallow,%20Cornwall,%20UK.jpg
Porthallow,%20Cornwall,%20UK.jpg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 658 times
It's amazing what one can do with a stone now-a-days. They're not just for throwing at glass houses anymore. :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 am

Moonlady, what a truly am-a-zing weather report!!!! Where is the "laughing out loud, rolling on the floor" smiley? I mean one that is rolling all over the place, like a very quick tide coming and going?

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 pm

50F this morning; it is supposed to get to 80! Much better than those upper 90s and 100s! :wink:
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:21 pm

What, Orin, you didn't like all that hot weather??! :ssmile:

63°F here at the moment, clear and a little breezy. I'm glad it's cooled off; my A/C is out and I've been too lazy to find the necessary replacement capacitor needed to fix it.

It's a lovely day out there!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 am

About 34' F here this morning. BBBRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
emo62.gif
emo62.gif (4.15 KiB) Viewed 827 times

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:58 am

Beyond wrote:About 34' F here this morning. BBBRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
emo62.gif
Bit cold for your early morning swim, then?

Around here, autumn (which is a word I like much better than fall) arrived last Friday. All day we had hard winds and drizzling rain, and it was about 14C.

And the leaves of the trees are slowly, slowly beginning to turn. Some rowan trees sport red foliage, accentuated by red berries. The maples still mostly wear late summer green, however.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator