A Suggestion

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Epictetus
Asternaut

A Suggestion

Post by Epictetus » Tue May 29, 2012 8:44 am

Whoever it is that does such things - you should have an obvious link to APOD. I have been looking at APOD daily for years, and only the other day when I was looking at http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120524.html I somehow found myself on this forum. Maybe I clicked the wrong button. I am glad I did, but how many others are there like me that would be glad to find this forum, but have no idea.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: A Suggestion

Post by owlice » Tue May 29, 2012 10:11 am

The "Discuss" link at the bottom of every APOD page takes one to the discussion thread, here at Asterisk, for that day's APOD.

As you have seen from the APOD you link to, APOD links to this discussion site on occasion (in addition to the "Discuss" link). In this month alone, APOD has linked to this discussion site at least 12 times, including the May 24 link to the 2nd assessment poll. Some links have been separate from the text, as on the 24th, and others have been within the APOD text; links have gone to the annular eclipse Gallery thread, the two assessment polls, an APOD collection thread (of partial/annular eclipses), a poll asking whether people had seen the day's image before, the Supermoon gallery, and the Extraordinary Concepts in Physics course (one of two free courses on this site). Sometimes the links go to the day's discussion thread too, such as one on March 5 which asked "Can you identify any of the landscapes?"

(I track the links from APOD to Asterisk to pair up with Google Analytics to see which links had the most influence on Asterisk traffic. I'm sure I've missed some, but I've got most of them. APOD has run many links to Asterisk.)

I think many people just don't see the Discuss link, and just don't click on other links that APOD has; what else could APOD do to make it clearer that there are discussion forums for APOD? This is a serious question. We would like more people to participate! How else can APOD get people's attention? Please help!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 29, 2012 2:08 pm

owlice wrote:I think many people just don't see the Discuss link, and just don't click on other links that APOD has; what else could APOD do to make it clearer that there are discussion forums for APOD? This is a serious question. We would like more people to participate! How else can APOD get people's attention? Please help!
The main APOD page has a very dated design. It looks like pages from 20 years ago.

Perhaps it's time to consider a more modern approach- still just a very simple CSS styled, no script page, but one with a more conventional navigation menu on the top? I don't even think most people see the text at the bottom as navigation links.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Tue May 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Hush...the forum is not existing! It is a conspiracy that such thing as a forum for anybody to shout out their opinion exist. It is the biggest non existing secret
ever apod came with, besides hiding all the Martian pictures!!!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue May 29, 2012 4:35 pm

I have my shortcut go straight to the index page! There is an index link on the APOD page but I don't think newbies know what it is for! :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue May 29, 2012 8:13 pm

I almost never see the main page. My favorites link is to the forms. From there, i access the main page for the big APOD picture, which i only do once a day anyway. Otherwise i'm always going to the forums to see what's up. Why don't you try putting discussion forums in red :?: :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:12 am

Perhaps what is needed is to change out the Hyperlinked Text at the bottom of the frame (< | Archive | Index | Search | Calendar | RSS | Education | About APOD | Discuss | > )for a more user friendly and more visual bank of buttons

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Haven't we had this discussion before? Bolding, colorizing, and redesigning the page have all already been suggested and rejected.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed May 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Indeed. And all I suggested in that other discussion was to bring the code up-to-date, so that it validated -- a minimal standard if ever there was one. But that too was rejected. But it's not the fault of Robert and Jerry, I'm sure. Rather, much of the NASA web site is made up with old, poor code. It's NASA that must fix this wholesale, not just Robert and Jerry for the APPOD page, and certainly not our hard-working Asterisk forum people.

Rob

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed May 30, 2012 12:43 pm

I was hoping to read suggestions by the original poster, since he's looking at all of this with fresh eyes, but in the meantime, perhaps long-term Asteriskians might post how they found Asterisk, what first brought them here?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 30, 2012 4:32 pm

I don't really remember, but it seems like i ran across a short article somewhere that spoke of an APOD and gave the clickable url to it, and said something about how you could view Hubble pictures there. As i had already seen a few Hubble pictures on TV, i wanted to see more. Once i was here, i ended up finding the index page and made it a favorite, As you can go anywhere from there. As i was then new to computers, it took a little while to accomplish this now simple task. And to make things worse, i kept getting lost in the forums and would have to exit the whole thing and start over. It was like i landed on a strange planet(php) that had a strange way of operating. I still can't do a -view topic- (there's no instructions) I almost figured it out, but it doesn't really matter anyway, as i don't remember where to find what i wanted to -view-. So i just do simple posts and forget about the rest, and wonder why the computer restricts me to 3-pictures a post, when there are posts with more than 3.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed May 30, 2012 5:02 pm

owlice wrote: perhaps long-term Asteriskians might post how they found Asterisk, what first brought them here?
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap040913.html
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:02 pm

Couldn't say why you have a 3 image limit. In my post above I linked 8 images of Buttons for suggestions but when I submitted the post and viewed it, It looked terrible so I did a quick edit and resubmit to eliminate the images.
I had no trouble with 8 images though

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 30, 2012 5:23 pm

I guess the computer likes you, BMAONE23. :lol2:

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed May 30, 2012 5:33 pm

bystander wrote:
owlice wrote: perhaps long-term Asteriskians might post how they found Asterisk, what first brought them here?
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap040913.html
Yet you didn't join for another two years! Why? Did you read Asterisk regularly before that first foray and joining?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Apparently I registered just to count some rainbows. I am pretty sure I was browsing the forum for a long time prior to that. The "what's your say?" type APODs seem to be the best way to get people to participate.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 31, 2012 1:31 am

geckzilla wrote:Haven't we had this discussion before? Bolding, colorizing, and redesigning the page have all already been suggested and rejected.
When was that discussed?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Thu May 31, 2012 2:03 am

Some of that was discussed in APOD assessment poll #2, as well as in a few follow up PMs.

Rob

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu May 31, 2012 2:09 am

owlice wrote:Yet you didn't join for another two years! Why? Did you read Asterisk regularly before that first foray and joining?
You asked what first brought me to Asterisk. I didn't start actively posting until 2007/02/12. Only three posts before that. I was a true bystander.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Haven't we had this discussion before? Bolding, colorizing, and redesigning the page have all already been suggested and rejected.
When was that discussed?
Also a bit here.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Thu May 31, 2012 10:40 am

I can't remember exactly how I found my way here, but I'm pretty sure it was through another astronomy website. It was a couple of years before I found the 'Discuss' link and wondered if I had anything meaningful to contribute.

I still wonder.....

:lol2:

And I'm not sure that the link for discussion is that difficult to find: there seem to be all kinds of guest/anonymous posters chiming in.

:saturn:
Forget the box, just get outside.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu May 31, 2012 12:48 pm

Indigo_Sunrise wrote:

And I'm not sure that the link for discussion is that difficult to find: there seem to be all kinds of guest/anonymous posters chiming in.

:saturn:
I don't think the discuss link is hard to find; it seems to be the index page that is troublesome! Maybe all forums should be channeled through the index page including the discuss an APOD! :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 31, 2012 2:49 pm

owlice wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
When was that discussed?
Also a bit here.
I looked through both threads, and I don't see any discussion on the issue of an APOD redesign. All that stuff seems to be about the design of the Asterisk forums.

So again, I'd say that APOD needs a redesign. It would be trivial. It would make it appear more modern, it would make it easier to read (from an ergonomic standpoint), it would make navigation much more obvious, and would probably drive more viewers towards the discussions here. And there's really no reason why a little CSS should have any effect on existing APOD parsing software at all. I don't think there's any policy at NASA that would limit changes, either. I've personally assisted in creating and modifying pages hosted within the NASA.GOV hierarchy, and there were no regulatory hoops to jump through.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory