Bug surprise!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Bug surprise!

Post by Ann » Tue May 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Today was an uncomfortably hot day, particularly in the part of Skåne where I work. It is far from the coast - well, Skåne is small, indeed tiny by American standards, so it's not that far from the coast. But it's not like Malmö, certainly.
So it got hotter and hotter. I was wearing a slightly uncomfortable bra (if I'm allowed to talk about such things here) which irritates my back a little bit - not much, mind you, and most of the time I don't feel it at all. Suddenly, however, my back felt quite uncomfortable, just where my bra is most likely to irritate me. I was alone in the small staff room where I was sitting, so I started to reach inside my top behind my back, to adjust my bra. Suddenly I felt something. I almost got hold of something, but it's not that easy to reach down behind your back, with your arm over your shoulder, so I lost hold of whatever I had almost managed to catch. I was alone in the staff room, as I said, so I risked lifting up my top a little bit, so that anything that might be inside could fall out. And would you believe it, there was a bug in there! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It was a beetle, black and green, a little less than a centimeter long. Yeech!

I can't say what species it was, or if it was any of the ones in the picture above. Because as soon as it had fallen out from inside my top I squished it under my shoe until it had turned into bug mash!

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Bug surprise!

Post by geckzilla » Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Metallic green beetles are fairly ubiquitous. I just feel lucky when any encounter with one doesn't result in some kind of fetid stench being left on my fingers.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Ann wrote:I can't say what species it was, or if it was any of the ones in the picture above. Because as soon as it had fallen out from inside my top I squished it under my shoe until it had turned into bug mash!
All I can say is that if our future alien overlords turn out to be insectoid, you're in deep trouble.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:15 am

Ann

I also live in a small town far from the coast, and hot.
I know some of the species of your picture. Sometimes a beetle boot an acid to the skin, wich burn much
Bye

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed May 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Ann; you had a bug encounter of the third kind! (Contact!) :wink: :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Wed May 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Got to say, I do feel a little bit sorry for the bug! :( . . . you could have just let him/her go out of a window :ssmile:

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Zed, we have a bug.

Post by neufer » Wed May 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:
I can't say what species it was, or if it was any of the ones in the picture above. Because as soon as it had fallen out from inside my top I squished it under my shoe until it had turned into bug mash!
All I can say is that if our future alien overlords turn out to be insectoid, you're in deep trouble.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119654/quotes wrote:
  • Memorable quotes for Men in Black (1997)
---------------------------------------------------
[J crushes cockroaches, which enrages Edgar]

Jay: Well, well. Big, bad Bug got a bit of a soft spot, huh? What I can't understand is, why you gotta come down here bringing all this ruckus! Snatching up galaxies and everything. My attitude is: don't start nothing, won't BE nothing!
Kay: I don't suppose you know what kind of alien life form leaves a green spectral trail and craves sugar water, do you?

Jay: Uh, wait, that was on "Final Jeopardy!" last night. Damn, Alex said...

Kay: [opening his cell phone] Zed, we have a bug.

Jay: And what, we don't like bugs?

Kay: Bugs thrive on carnage, Tiger. They consume, infest, destroy, live off the death and destruction of other species.

Jay: You were stung as a child, weren't you?

Kay: Imagine a giant cockroach, with unlimited strength, a massive inferiority complex, and a real short temper, is tear-assing around Manhattan Island in a brand-new Edgar suit. That sound like fun?
Kay: You're nothing but a smear on the Sports page to me, you slimy, ugly, intestinal parasite! Eat me! Eat me!

[the Bug swallows Kay whole]
Kay: [looking skywards] They're beautiful, aren't they?

Jay: What?

Kay: The stars.

Jay: K, you're frightening your partner...

Kay: I haven't been looking for a partner. I've been looking for a replacement.

Jay: K, I can NOT do this by myself, all right?

Kay: I've just been down the gullet of an interstellar cockroach. That's one of a hundred memories I don't want.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Art (bugsy) neuendorffer wrote:Memorable quotes for Men in Black (1997)
I only need a one word quote to take care of the situation :arrow: R-A-I-D!!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu May 24, 2012 2:17 am

I can't say I'd feel sorry for any bug that got on me! I hate to squish them under my clothes but I know that a dead bug don't bite. :wink: A little OFF works wonders before you go outside on a buggy day! :eyebrows: Big bugs have little------- :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 am

starstruck wrote:Got to say, I do feel a little bit sorry for the bug! :( . . . you could have just let him/her go out of a window :ssmile:
Starstruck, I feel a little bit quilty. My brother would have saved the bug. As a kid, he would capture flies, wasps and bumblebees that got inside our house where our mother didn't want them, and then he'd let them out outside.

As for myself, I'm sorry to say that I felt so affronted at finding the bug inside my clothing that I promptly got back on it, particularly since that seemed the safest way to make sure that the bug wouldn't get back in!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Ahimsa

Post by neufer » Thu May 24, 2012 11:09 am

Ann wrote:
starstruck wrote:
Got to say, I do feel a little bit sorry for the bug! :( . . . you could have just let him/her go out of a window :ssmile:
Starstruck, I feel a little bit quilty. My brother would have saved the bug. As a kid, he would capture flies, wasps and bumblebees that got inside our house where our mother didn't want them, and then he'd let them out outside. As for myself, I'm sorry to say that I felt so affronted at finding the bug inside my clothing that I promptly got back on it, particularly since that seemed the safest way to make sure that the bug wouldn't get back in!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahimsa wrote:
<<Ahimsa (Sanskrit: अहिंसा) is a term meaning to do no harm (literally: the avoidance of violence – himsa). The word is derived from the Sanskrit root hims – to strike; himsa is injury or harm, a-himsa is the opposite of this, i.e. non harming or nonviolence. It is an important tenet of some Indian religions (Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism). Ahimsa means kindness and non-violence towards all living things including animals; it respects living beings as a unity. Avoidance of verbal and physical violence is also a part of this principle, although ahimsa recognizes self-defense when necessary, as a sign of a strong spirit. It is closely connected with the notion that all kinds of violence entail negative karmic consequences. Ahiṃsā does not merely indicate absence of physical violence, but also indicates absence of desire to indulge in any sort of violence. This Jain ideal of Ahiṃsā profoundly influenced Mahatma Gandhi, through his friendship with the Jain scholar Shrimad Rajchandra that it formed a basis of his satyagraha (truth struggle) against colonial rule and caused him to rethink many aspects of contemporary Hindu practices.

In Jainism, the understanding and implementation of ahimsa is more radical, scrupulous, and comprehensive than in any other religion. Non-violence is seen as the most essential religious duty for everyone (ahiṃsā paramo dharmaḥ, a statement often inscribed on Jain temples). Like in Hinduism, the aim is to prevent the accumulation of harmful karma. When Mahavira revived and reorganized the Jain movement in the 6th or 5th century BCE, ahimsa was already an established, strictly observed rule. While Jainism is not a proselytizing religion and as such has no organised system of advocating its doctrine, Jains have been forefront in strongly advocating vegetarianism and non-violence through ages.

The Jain concept of ahimsa is characterized by several aspects. It does not make any exception for ritual sacrificers and professional warrior-hunters. Killing of animals for food is absolutely ruled out. Jains also make considerable efforts not to injure plants in everyday life as far as possible. Though they admit that plants must be destroyed for the sake of food, they accept such violence only inasmuch as it is indispensable for human survival, and there are special instructions for preventing unnecessary violence against plants. Jains go out of their way so as not to hurt even small insects and other minuscule animals. For example, Jains often do not go out at night, when they are more likely to step upon an insect. In their view, injury caused by carelessness is like injury caused by deliberate action. Eating honey is strictly outlawed, as it would amount to violence against the bees. Some Jains abstain from farming because it inevitably entails unintentional killing or injuring of many small animals, such as worms and insects, but agriculture is not forbidden in general and there are Jain farmers. Additionally, because they consider harsh words to be a form of violence, they often keep a cloth to ritually cover their mouth, as a reminder not to allow violence in their speech.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahimsa_in_Jainism#Ways_of_committing_Violence wrote:
<<Ahiṃsā in Jainism is a fundamental principle forming the cornerstone of its ethics and doctrine. The term "ahimsa" (Sanskrit: अहिंसा, Ahiṃsā) means “non-violence”, “non-injury” or absence of desire to harm any life forms. Vegetarianism and other non-violent practices and rituals of Jains flow from the principle of Ahiṃsā. According to Adian Rankin, the concept of Ahiṃsā is so much intertwined with Jainism that it conjures up images of ascetics who cover their mouths and sweep the ground before them with small brushes to avoid injuring the most minuscule forms of life and Jain-owned animal sanctuaries where even the sickest, most deformed birds and beasts are protected and cherished. These overt manifestations of an ancient faith challenge the comfortable - and near-universal - assumption of human precedence over other creatures.

ImageImageImage
The hand with a wheel on the palm symbolizes the Jain Vow of Ahimsa. The word in the middle is "ahimsa". The wheel represents the dharmacakra which stands for the resolve to halt the cycle of reincarnation through relentless pursuit of truth and non-violence.

The Jain concept of Ahiṃsā is quite different from the concept of non-violence found in other philosophies. In other religious traditions, violence is usually associated with causing harm to others. On the other hand, in Jainism, violence refers primarily to injuring one's own self – behaviour which inhibits the souls own ability to attain mokṣa or liberation. At the same time it also means violence to others because it is this tendency to harm others that ultimately harms ones own soul. Furthermore, the Jains have extended the concept of Ahiṃsā not only to humans but to all animals, plants, micro-organisms and all beings having life or life potential. All life is sacred and everyone has a right to live fearlessly to its maximum potential. The living beings do not have any fear from those who have taken the vow of Ahiṃsā. According to Jainism, protection of life, also known as abhayadānam, is the supreme charity that a person can make.

Though, theoretically, all life forms are said to deserve full protection from all kinds of injury, Jains admit that this ideal cannot be completely implemented in practice. Hence, they recognize a hierarchy of life. Mobile beings are given higher protection than immobile ones. For the mobile beings, they distinguish between one-sensed, two-sensed, three-sensed, four-sensed and five-sensed ones; a one-sensed animal has touch as its only sensory modality. The more senses a being has, the more they care about its protection. Among the five-sensed beings, the rational ones (humans) are most strongly protected by Jain ahimsa. In the practice of ahimsa, the requirements are less strict for the lay persons who have undertaken anuvrata (Lesser Vows) than for the monastics who are bound by the Mahavrata "Great Vows". Jains agree with Hindus that violence in self-defense can be justified, and they agree that a soldier who kills enemies in combat is performing a legitimate duty. Jain communities accepted the use of military power for their defense, and there were Jain monarchs, military commanders, and soldiers.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 24, 2012 3:26 pm

netipod wrote:Question - Do you have any idea whatsoever of how the bug.You know. Got in there?
Nope! But my top is a bit loose at the neck.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri May 25, 2012 2:21 am

I had a somewhat pleasent Bug surprise this afternoon. I looked out to see a lot of big bugs flying around. I was thinking they couldn't have been flying ants, as they were too big. They looked a little blurry because the sun was out and sort of lighting them up. Then i noticed the patterns they were flying. They were baby dragon flies. I'd never seen baby dragon flies before. I'd on occasion see some young ones, but never this small. The back yard was full of them. A little while later they all disappeared. Yea! Git dem skeeters!!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Ann, speaking of beetles, i see that Sweden had a small invasion of Beatles in 1963. This was when they were still young and it would be a few months before they grew up enough to start infesting the world with Beatlemania. :lol2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPJy05efcgE

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Beyond

Good sense of humor
The beetles and The Beatles
The Beatles one of the best bands in the world. Very nice music! :D

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun May 27, 2012 5:34 am

Beyond wrote:Ann, speaking of beetles, i see that Sweden had a small invasion of Beatles in 1963. This was when they were still young and it would be a few months before they grew up enough to start infesting the world with Beatlemania. :lol2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPJy05efcgE
Indeed! I was a wee bit young to see them, though! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon May 28, 2012 10:41 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Beyond wrote:
I had a somewhat pleasent Bug surprise this afternoon. I looked out to see a lot of big bugs flying around. I was thinking they couldn't have been flying ants, as they were too big. They looked a little blurry because the sun was out and sort of lighting them up. Then i noticed the patterns they were flying. They were baby dragon flies. I'd never seen baby dragon flies before. I'd on occasion see some young ones, but never this small. The back yard was full of them. A little while later they all disappeared. Yea! Git dem skeeters!!
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Man!! The skeeters that dragon flier could hold! Zillions!!! But Alas! It's just a tad too big to fly around my place. :(