The Danish language is too hard for the Danes

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

The Danish language is too hard for the Danes

Post by Ann » Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 pm

This one is for Chris, the resident scientist of Starship Asterisk* and also its resident Danish-American.

According to Politiken, the most prestigious newspaper in Denmark, Swedes and Norwegians are finding it ever harder to understand Danish. It is not so much the Danish language that is hard to understand, but rather the way the Danes are speaking it! In particular, Danes frequently don't really pronounce their consonants, but rather make a mumbling, sometimes throaty sound, leaving Swedes and Norwegians baffled. Read about it here, if you read Danish.

Okay, and you have to check out this Youtube parody of how Danes can't even understand one another! The video has been made by Norwegians, not by Swedes, I hasten to add!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: The Danish language is too hard for the Danes

Post by neufer » Fri May 18, 2012 8:46 pm

ImageImage
. May 20, 1857: Release of Hans Christian Andersen's
_AT VÆRE ELLER IKKE VÆRE_, - "To Be or Not to Be"
Art Neuendorffer

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Fri May 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Ann, hehe!, that's a classic! :lol2:
Now I can see why everybody on the Danish/Swedish TV thriller series "The Bridge" looks so confused and baffled all the time :!: :blah: :-? :shock: :roll: :?: :P

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri May 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Ann: Can you speak Danish? Can you under stand them when they speak? :? :roll: :wink: :eyebrows: :doh: :facepalm: :clap: :clap: You better have a :b: :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri May 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Ann wrote:This one is for Chris, the resident scientist of Starship Asterisk* and also its resident Danish-American.
That's funny. And it's true- at least from the perspective of a non-native speaker. All the modern Scandinavian languages are quite simple (Icelandic and Old Norse are pretty brutal, though). Reading them is easy. But man, Danes produce some sounds so deep down in their throats that I think you have to be born to it to manage. Maybe even that isn't good enough anymore! (I can pull off "rød grød med fløde" quite passably.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat May 19, 2012 6:10 am

orin stepanek wrote:Ann: Can you speak Danish? Can you under stand them when they speak? :? :roll: :wink: :eyebrows: :doh: :facepalm: :clap: :clap: You better have a :b: :wink:
Well, I watch a bit of Danish television - not much, mind you! Mostly the weather report really, because the Danish weather report is much better for us in the southernmost part of Sweden than the weather report we get on Swedish television, which is sent to us from Stockholm!

But I watch the Danish weather report several times a week, so I get to listen to a bit of Danish very regularly. I have no problems whatsoever understanding the Danish meteorologists, who speak a clear, polished kind of Danish. I never have any problems with any parts of the Danish TV news, TV-Avisen, on those occasions when I watch more than the weather report. Wait, I have to take that back! Because sometimes they interview a Danish person who is not speaking "television Danish", and then I often can't understand much!

But I often meet Danish people who spend some of their time working in Sweden. I commute to work on a train which runs between Denmark and Sweden, and some of the staff on board are Danish and some are Swedish. I never have any problems whatsoever talking with the Danish ticket controllers or listening to what the Danish train driver is telling us passengers over the loudspeakers.

And yesterday, when I went to the luxurious Danish chocolaterie Peter Beier, I was speaking to a Danish woman working in the store. I had no problems whatsoever with her. But of course, this chocolate store is in Malmö, and she is talking to Swedish customers all the time.

Not that she was speaking some kind of semi-Swedish or something, mind you! She spoke Danish, pure and simple. But she spoke it clearly, and she expected me to understand, which I did, of course! And I spoke Swedish, and I expected her to understand, which she did, of course.

So I have no problems with what I might call "communicating Danish", the kind of Danish they speak on the Danish TV news or in stores where they really want to sell you something. But as for the Danish that many Danes speak on the street - no, I'm afraid I don't understand that much!

And I don't speak Danish myself, although I can write some sort of semi-passable Danish.

Ann
Color Commentator