Recent Submissions: 2012 April 10-13

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: Recent Submissions: 2012 April 10-13

Post by Ann » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:56 am

I think I'm about to retire as chief commentator on recent submissions here, but I will make a few comments.

Velimir Popov, I like your colorful and detailed image of NGC 253! Very nice.

avdhoeven wrote:
After the nice remarks of Ann (thanks for that) to my previous post I update my M77 picture with much better colors I think. Here it is.
Wow, you sure worked hard here, avdhoeven! I'm very impressed, even though I have really no idea what it takes to turn a number of (probably noisy) data sets into a glorious picture. One thing I want to stress about Hubble exposures is that the filters they use are rarely suitable for natural-looking RGB images. This is true for the Hubble data of M77, I think. Nevertheless, your picture looks very beautiful and very impressive, and I agree that the colors are better this time over, too!

Ignacio Diaz Bobillo, I love your picture of the Large Magellanic Cloud, which shows this fantastic almost starbursting galaxy in all its glory. We even get to see that forgotten but fascinating nebular complex at upper left in your image!

Martin Bernier, I like how you bring out the colors of the stars in M13. There are the bright orange red giants and the even brighter and more orange AGB stars, which are on the verge of shedding their outer atmospheres and becoming white dwarfs. There are the blue horizontal branch stars, typical of a very metal-poor population. And there are the myriads of more or less solar-temperature main sequence stars, with their neutral whitish color, which fades to gray in an image like this because the stars are faint.

leoolamm, you are new here. Thank you for your two fine pictures, and welcome to Starship Asterisk*!

Rolf Karlstad, I've got to say two things. As a diehard lover of all things blue, and as someone who cares deeply about "true color", your image is not for me. But I can see that your image is very striking, and I hope that a lot of people who aren't as nitpicky about "true color" as I am - and that would be almost everybody - will get to see your image, because they will definitely admire it.

Pavel Pech, thank you! Both your images are splendid, especially at full resolution. Thank you for demonstrating that the little satellite galaxy next to M106 really does have a bright emission nebula at the end of its bar!

Ivan Eder, you've done full justice to this colorful region of the sky. You really bring out how the emission and reflection nebulosity is unevenly distributed around Sigma Orionis. (It's a double star, and I think that only one of the components is hot enough to produce a lot of Ha emission.) But please not how the nebulosity around both Sigma Orionis and Antares seems "thicker" on the right side of the star, as if some strong "wind" had blown the gas and dust to one side of the stars.

Craig and Tammy Temple, I like both your images.

VegaStar Carpentier, this must be your most striking image ever! Everything about it is beautiful. I love how the color of the sky changes from that softly luminous aqua in the lower left corner to deep, dark royal blue in the upper right-hand corner. The Moon, shining brilliantly white and blue, is fantastically decorative. Of course I love how the statue appears to hold the Moon in her hand. And then that plane, with its long white contrail behind, appears to have been "shot out of" the Moon. It's so beautiful!

And thanks to everyone who contributed images here!

Ann
Color Commentator

ignacio_db
Ensign

Re: Recent Submissions: 2012 April 10-13

Post by ignacio_db » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:41 pm

Ann wrote:I think I'm about to retire as chief commentator on recent submissions here, but I will make a few comments.
Ann
Thank you, Ann. It is always interesting and educating to read your enthusiastic comments. We will miss you.

All the best,
Ignacio