Virus warning!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Virus warning!

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:02 pm

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS NOTICE TO YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, CONTACTS! In the coming days, you should be aware.....

Do not open any message with an attachment called: Invitation FACEBOOK, regardless of who sent it. It is a virus that opens an Olympic torch that burns the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone you had in your address book .. That's why you should send this message to all your contacts. It is better to receive this email 25 times to receive the virus and open it .. If you receive a mail called: Invitation FACEBOOK, though sent by a friend, do not open it and delete it immediately. It is the worst virus announced by CNN. A new virus has been discovered recently that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.

It is a Trojan Horse that asks you to install an adobe flash plug-in. Once you install it, it's all over. And there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information of their function is saved.

SNOPES SAYS THIS IS TRUE............

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/youtube.asp
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Virus warning!

Post by bystander » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Snopes: YouTube/Facebook Virus wrote:Outdated
Variations: In an attempt to trick people into believing the invitation virus hoax was real, in November 2011 those propagating the hoax "helpfully" provided within the body of the e-mail decrying the non-existent threat a link to this snopes.com article, which is about an actual virus (albeit a now outdated one).

Read-up before you panic. :roll:

'Invitation Facebook' Virus Alert Is a Hoax
about.com | Urban Legends | 2011 Oct 12

Invitation FB Olympic Torch Virus Hoax
Hoax-Slayer | last updated 2011 Oct 28

Olympic Torch (virus hoax)
Wikipedia | last updated 2012 Jan 10
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:44 pm

bystander wrote:
Snopes: YouTube/Facebook Virus wrote:Outdated
Variations: In an attempt to trick people into believing the invitation virus hoax was real, in November 2011 those propagating the hoax "helpfully" provided within the body of the e-mail decrying the non-existent threat a link to this snopes.com article, which is about an actual virus (albeit a now outdated one).

Read-up before you panic. :roll:
Thanks, bystander. I should have checked first.
(Feel free to delete all.)
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm

As a former Computer Systems Security Administrator, I used to get these all the time. Most of the time they are hoaxes, but it is always a good idea to check. Urban Legends, Hoax-Slayer, and Snopes are all good sources, but you should read carefully what they are telling you.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Such simple exploitation of our primitive instincts wreaks such havoc...
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Deja vu! :lol: I got the same email warning a week ago! I wonder how stuff like that gets started? :? I do check out such warnings though.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:40 am

orin stepanek wrote:Deja vu! :lol: I got the same email warning a week ago! I wonder how stuff like that gets started? :? I do check out such warnings though.
A good hoax is too good to be allowed to go to waste.

I used to be active at another forum dedicated to something else, and while I won't say what it was, I can say that there were a lot of women there. Many of them were Americans, and some of them were housewives (maybe home-makers is the proper term), and a few of them were home-schooling their children.

Anyway. One of these women, who was an interesting person and and a talented story-teller, once told everyone at this forum that she was going to teach her kids astronomy this year for a change. Normally she didn't think astronomy was very interesting, and her kids didn't much care, but she had just heard from another mom who was home-schooling her children that Mars would grow as big and bright as the full Moon this year, so of course she had to tell her children about the "second full Moon" they were going to see in the sky. I felt compelled to tell this woman in public (since she had told her crazy story in public) that Mars would look no more impressive than a bright star, and that it will never, ever come close to rivalling the Moon in our skies. I told her, too, that if Mars ever got as close to us to look that big and bright, then we could wave good-bye to life on Earth, since the consequences would be totally catastrophic.

The funny thing is that this happened at a time when the Mars Hoax had been around and come and gone at least three times before. So I guess I learnt this from my experience at that other forum: A good hoax is too good to be allowed to go to waste, because you can always resurrect it.

Ann
Color Commentator

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:42 am

Good thing I don't use Facebook. :wink:
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 pm

TNT wrote:Good thing I don't use Facebook. :wink:
I don't use it either! I guess I really don't feel I have a need for it. :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Ann wrote:I used to be active at another forum dedicated to something else, and while I won't say what it was, I can say that there were a lot of women there. Many of them were Americans, and some of them were housewives (maybe home-makers is the proper term), and a few of them were home-schooling their children.
Diets? Shoes? Autism vaccine conspiracy? :wink:
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.