APOD: The Wolf's Moon (2012 Jan 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: The Wolf's Moon (2012 Jan 20)

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:06 am

Ann wrote:
Starswarm Magellan wrote:Ann, do you hear the wolf whistle in Sweden? Thanks...
The wolf whistle? Not around where I live, that's for sure. I actually didn't know there was such a thing, although it makes sense, since dogs (I think) can hear sounds that we can't. And wolves are of course the original dogs. :ssmile:

Unfortunately, you shouldn't come to Sweden if you want to see wolves. There are some really wolf hating fanatics in this country, and there really aren't many wolves left. :evil: :evil: :evil:
No, the only animals that you should come to Sweden in order to see are moose. They are moderately common here. Back when I was doing a bit of jogging - that was a long time ago - I actually almost ran into one, a female like the one I'm posting here. She had no horns, being a female, but boy, was she a big one.

Ann
Ann, That is not what Starswarm meant....a "wolf whistle"...is when a guy sees a pretty girl walking down the street....and does the "wolf whistle"..."wheeet wheeeww"......meaning basically...."OH...BOY!!!!"......
So Starswarm was wondering if you get that in Sweden....Enjoy???? :twisted:

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09 am

If you look at this picture, and look at the moon....the Mare look like an animal on all fours...there is the head to the right, then to the left are the shoulders, then the back, and down is a leg, then below that it looks to be standing on a precipice looking outwards. It appears the head has its mouth OPEN....a WOLF BAYING????

:---[====] *

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:57 am

Oh. Okay, Boomer12k.

Yes, sometimes the wolf whistle is heard in Sweden.

And yes, I enjoy your correcting me when I'm wrong! Thanks!

Ann
Color Commentator

Flase
Brother of Ture

Re: Wolfman Jack is EVERywhere!

Post by Flase » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:41 am

Beyond wrote:Ah, wolves of the 2-legged variety. Their 'howl' is a 2-tone whistle. But that was before people started to "moon" other people.
This conversation's going to a rather dark place. ... like to a moon of Uranus. I give you one now. Haw haw

Flase
Brother of Ture

Post by Flase » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:06 pm

I know Uranus is off topic but I'll always be impressed by the achievements of the Voyager project. The bloke who realised that all the gas giants would line up and there was an opportunity to kill so many birds with one stone, if you will, he should be proud of himself.

I'm still disappointed they couldn't have cameras as good as this on the Dawn probe. When I took maths and physics at school, I was told "draw a picture" and it will help you see the problem for what it is. I just know that images for human eyes will help human scientists see possibilities, if they are still mortal. I don't think the decision makers really know why they even send these probes, just the idea that the more esoteric the information they gather, the more scientific it is. I blame the military and bean counters. No matter how good a mathematician somebody is, they still have to be a servant and may not have their own ideas. If you do, you have to be like Einstein and hide them from your boss as you work some lousy job (his was in a patent office). Besides which, the better the pictures of the asteroids, the more popular it will be, affecting the bottom line for the bean counters and you can pick up a digital camera (< 0.2kg) for under $100, just plug it into a USB port and it will give you better quality than Voyager. If it's worth a billion bucks to send a probe, it's worth another hundred.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 pm

Flase wrote:Besides which, the better the pictures of the asteroids, the more popular it will be, affecting the bottom line for the bean counters and you can pick up a digital camera (< 0.2kg) for under $100, just plug it into a USB port and it will give you better quality than Voyager. If it's worth a billion bucks to send a probe, it's worth another hundred.
There are no consumer cameras out there that will give better images than the camera on the Voyagers... although in some limited ways, cameras in the several thousand dollar range might approach that. And none of those cameras would survive in the space environment, so by the time you customize the sensor and drive electronics, add the support systems, and qualify it, you're easily looking at an instrument that will consume quite a few millions of additional dollars.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Flase
Brother of Ture

Post by Flase » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:58 am

Back to the subject of the moon, if a Māori does this to you, it is called "Whakapohane", and is a traditional insult. You must have done something to offend him.
http://workersparty.org.nz/2011/03/30/b ... akapohane/

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 am

Flase wrote:Back to the subject of the moon, if a Māori does this to you, it is called "Whakapohane", and is a traditional insult. You must have done something to offend him.
http://workersparty.org.nz/2011/03/30/b ... akapohane/
That was a bit different.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.