APOD: The Hunter's Stars (2012 Jan 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
xuxa

Re: APOD: The Hunter's Stars (2012 Jan 19)

Post by xuxa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 pm

orion and scorpio have long been 2 of my favorite consilations...under a good sky you can see everything from his holding up his club (as i recall to swing at scorpio?) to his holding up his sheild with his other hand..such a cool scene with his faithfull dog sirius right behind him.
thanks 2 all for the history on him aswell..
heres a neat movie someone sent me on the hubble deepspace 3d shots they made.. one is near orion.. its a really neat show and im kinda puzzled as 2 why we havent seen it here yet?
http://www.flixxy.com/hubble-ultra-deep-field-3d.htm

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:17 pm

So then, mr. neufer, could you give me a hint as to why the "seal" was included in your post about Orion :?: :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:44 pm

xuxa wrote:orion and scorpio have long been 2 of my favorite consilations...
You mean Orion and Scorpius. Scorpio isn't a constellation, but an astrological sign.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

McDuffdog
Asternaut

Post by McDuffdog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Oh grand celestial geometry, that a mighty star can be hid by the branch of a tree!

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Orion is one of my favorite Constellations, and the Orion Nebula one of my favorite telescope targets. But it gets cold and wet, and I have not gotten out this winter to look at anything thing. Fortunately, in the Autumn it is in the early morning sky. I was able to get out at around 3:00 am, and not cold at all.

:---[===] *

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

"Post Nubile Phoebus" (After the clouds the sun)

Post by neufer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Beyond wrote:
So then, mr. neufer, could you give me a hint as to why the "seal" was included in your post about Orion :?: :?:
http://www.calodges.org/scrl/monthly/edinburg.htm wrote:
_A Visit to Edinburgh and Lodge Canongate Kilwinning #2._ by Wor. James T. Watson, Jr.

<<Edinburgh, the second largest city in Scotland, was named in honor of Edwin of Northumbria, an Anglian king who built a fort there in the 600's. On the site of that fort now stands Edinburgh Castle on Castle Rock. The "Royal Mile" leads from this castle to Holyrood Castle, home of Mary, Queen of Scots, from 1561-1567. From this Canongate run St. John's Close and St. John's Street. From both these entries, one gains admittance to the Chapel of St. John, meeting place of Lodge Canongate #2, Royal Arch Chapter #56 and the Preceptory and Priory of St. John Canongate Kilwinning. The Annual Festival is held on St. John the Baptist's Day, June 24th. [Edward de Vere died June 24, 1604.]

While dating its early history to King David's Charter, the Lodge identified itself with the general body of Freemasons in Scotland in 1677 by accepting a warrant from the Lodge at Kilwinning in Ayrshire, which was exercising the functions of a Grand Lodge. The initiative in forming the Grand Lodge of Scotland was taken by this Lodge.

One of its members, William St. Clair of Rosslyn became first Grand Master. The Lodge motto,
"Post Nubile Phoebus" (After the clouds the sun), refers to dawn and ancient sun worship.

The present Lodge building was consecrated in December, 1736, and is the oldest building in the world built for Masonic purposes. On
entering the Lodge room, one is instantly drawn drawn to what appear to be four alcoves contining statues, two on the north wall and two
on the south. When approached, they are found to be cleverly executed mural paintings of:
  • Lord Byron and Sir Walter Scott on the north wall and
    Robert Burns and
    [Englishman :?: ] William Shakespeare on the south.
    >>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hugh Holland's dedication in the 1623 First Folio:

Code: Select all

U P o n t h e L i n e s a n d L i f e o f
 T H e F a m o u s S c e n i c k e P o e t

[M A S T E R] W I L L I A M S H A K E S P E
[A] R E T h o s e h a n d s w h i c h y o u
[S] O c l a p t g o n o w a n d w r i n g Y
[O] u B r i t a i n e s b r a v e f o r d o
[N] e a r e S h a k e s p e a r e s d a y e
[S]
-----------------------------------------------------------
  • Upon the Lines and Life of the Famous
    Scenicke Poet, Master W I L L I A M
    S H A K E S P E A R E

Those hands, which you so clapt, go now, and wring
    You Britaines brave; for done are Shakespeares dayes: _____ :arrow:
    His dayes are done, that made the dainty Playes,
    Which made the Globe of heav'n and earth to ring.
    Dry'de is that veine, dry'd is the Thespian Spring,
    Turn'd all to teares, and
    *PHOEBUS CLOUDS HIS RAYES*
http://www.baconsocietyinc.org/baconiana/baconiana2/carr_review.htm wrote:
_WHO WROTE DON QUlXOTE?_ by FRANCIS CARR

<<The design on the title page of the first edition of 1605 shows a hooded falcon resting on the gloved hand of a man who is hidden from view. Around the arm and the bird is the inscription Post tenebras spero lucem, 'After darkness I hope for light', a phrase from Job which was adopted as the motto of Calvinism, and later of the entire Protestant Reformation—an incongruous wording to have on a work issuing from a supposedly Catholic country.>>
http://www.sirbacon.org/whowrotedqwalkerreview.htm wrote:
<<As further evidence that the real [DQ] author is concealed Carr points to the title page of the first Spanish edition of Don Quixote. The title page shows a hooded falcon resting on the gloved hand of a man who is hidden from view within a cloud. There is a lion in the picture that ostensibly symbolizes England. But who is the hidden falconer? On the border around the inner picture are the words, "Post tenebras spero lucem", i.e., after darkness I hope for light. Signaling yet again that something is hidden here. But how can we solve this dark puzzle? Chapter 68 of the Second Part of Don Quixote gives us a clue. Don Quixote tells Sancho Panza, "Post tenebras spero lucem", and follows the Latin words with a translation, "after darkness I expect light." It seems that the explanation has been added to help the reader, but Sancho still does not understand. The clue comes at this point. Sancho launches into a tribute to sleep, and this tribute is virtually a paraphrase of the speech about sleep in Macbeth (which appeared a few years before the publication of Don Quixote):
  • Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care,
    The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath,
    Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
    Chief nourisher in life's feast.
(As an additional connection to the Shakespeare works it can be noted that the
"POST TENEBRAS LUX; after darkness light" legend also appeared on the 1600 quarto edition of A Midsummer Nights Dream, printed by James Roberts).>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15 am

Hmm... Methinks i am sorry i asked. I forgot that sometimes plumbing the depths of Quotidian land, can even be beyond the Great Quotationist himself.

luigi
Ensign

Post by luigi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:24 am

Well done Brendan I really like the framing and the color of the stars. A great portrait of the hunter.
Chris Peterson wrote:
You mean Orion and Scorpius. Scorpio isn't a constellation, but an astrological sign.
Maybe "xuxa" speaks spanish or portuguese. In spanish and portguese "escorpio / scorpio" refers to both the constellation and the zodiacal sign.

termo
Ensign
AKA: Brendan Alexander

Post by termo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:35 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to discuss my image. It means a lot to me when people take time to commnet on my work. I loved the post with all the info on Lough Eske. I learned a lot from that! thanks :D .

All the best,

Brendan
http://www.DonegalSkies.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:56 am

luigi wrote:Maybe "xuxa" speaks spanish or portuguese. In spanish and portguese "escorpio / scorpio" refers to both the constellation and the zodiacal sign.
Maybe, but this is an English language board. In any case, it wasn't a criticism, just an observation about a common mistake.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:28 am

Orion
Three beautiful stars near the image center: Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka ( The three Marys)
Rigel: the blue supergiant star.
Beltegeuse: the red giant star. With " few time " of the life.

xuxa

Post by xuxa » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:

Dear chris.....WELL EXCUSE ME MR RODES SCOLAR..GET A LIFE AND LEARN 2 ENJOY IT.;o)

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 pm

That would be Rhodes scholar, not Rodes scolar. The award is named after Cecil John Rhodes.

Rob

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Guest wrote:Correction: Orion's SWORD points essentially south in the northern hemisphere. Also, perhaps this is why the constellation was identified as a hunter in the first place?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:09 am

Guest wrote:Correction: Orion's SWORD points essentially south in the northern hemisphere. Also, perhaps this is why the constellation was identified as a hunter in the first place?
Orion's sword points essentially south no matter what hemisphere it is viewed from.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
xuxa wrote:
heres a neat movie someone sent me on the hubble deepspace 3d shots they made.. one is near orion.. its a really neat show and im kinda puzzled as 2 why we havent seen it here yet?
http://www.flixxy.com/hubble-ultra-deep-field-3d.htm
Art Neuendorffer

jinger
Ensign

Post by jinger » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:48 am

rstevenson wrote:That would be Rhodes scholar, not Rodes scolar. The award is named after Cecil John Rhodes.
Overheard at a cocktail party--
Fred: What do you do for a living?
John: I'm a civil engineer.
Fred: Oh so you build stuff?
John: Mostly highways and bridges.
Fred: Gotta be pretty smart to do that!
John: Yup. I'm a Road Scholar.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Beyond wrote:
Nicolas Poussin (1658) "Landscape with blind Orion seeking the sun" Poussin included a storm-cloud, which both suggests the transient nature of Orion's blindness, soon to be removed like a cloud exposing the sun.

Look above the "seal" eagle for
a storm-cloud removed to expose stars.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Hey! That's double jeopardy quoting :!: :!: No fair! :no: :thumb_down: