APOD on 365daysofastronomy.org

The cosmos at our fingertips.
SsDd
Science Officer
AKA: Abhi

APOD on 365daysofastronomy.org

Post by SsDd » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Hello fellow Starship-ers(?)

http://365daysofastronomy.org/ "is a project that will publish one podcast per day, for all 365 days of 2009 and 2010 -- and now 2011. The podcast episodes are written, recorded and produced by people around
the world."

and I have signed up to supply the podcast for Nov 18, and my podcast is going to be about APOD and its influence/what we do here/how super fantabolous APOD is, and all that sort of thing.

I thought this was a good way to bring more people to our forums.

I wanted to ask you good folk, a few pointers about what I should be talking about, what I should be focusing on, etc.

Thanks
SsDd

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD on 365daysofastronomy.org

Post by Beyond » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:21 pm

I can only help a little. Fantabulous only has (1)-o.
For a good general overview of everything, check with RJN. He sees the whole thing from the top down. Then you might chat with the moderators to get their point of view. They get to see the workings of things that we don't know about.
Then if you still have time, you might want to chat with some of those who know a lot about the assorted topics that are covered in APOD.
I hope you work fast. 6-days goes by Quick!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

SsDd
Science Officer
AKA: Abhi

Post by SsDd » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Beyond wrote:I can only help a little. Fantabulous only has (1)-o.

Thank you Beyond, :)

and yes, I will get in touch with RJN.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:43 pm

You might include the following:
  • the definition of "astronomy" in "astronomy picture of the day" is very broad (deliberately so), which means...
  • a wide variety of images: galaxies, nebulae, stars, planets, clouds, atmospheric optics, beautiful sunsets and sunrises, and so on
  • images come not just from professional astronomers using instruments such as Hubble and WISE (or their own equipment), but are also submitted by amateurs
  • the text is written by two professional astronomers, and contains links to more and deeper information suitable for a variety of people
  • APOD maintains an archive of APOD images and text
  • APOD has a vibrant discussion board, where each day's APOD can be discussed, voting occurs for APOD of the week and month, questions at all levels can be asked, and up-to-date astronomy and space news is available
A closed mouth gathers no foot.