SMBC: Periodic Table - Who's on First?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

SMBC: Periodic Table - Who's on First?

Post by bystander » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:00 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: SMBC: Periodic Table - Who's on First?

Post by Beyond » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:33 am

More like bases loaded :lol:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Oxygen; Potassium! :roll: :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:48 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Oxygen; Potassium! :roll: :mrgreen:
That means that Nobelium struck out, eh?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:09 am

No.

(It was named after a Swede, so it can't strike out.)

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Beyond wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:Oxygen; Potassium! :roll: :mrgreen:
It means-- OK! :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:47 pm

I thinks myj Engelsk not very good is. I understands not "struck out". I thinks it's means, Nobelium can't play with other elements. I thinks that's Nobelium much fair.
I thinks baseball term "struck out" may is it be. I understands not baseball. Me Swedish, I think burnball good. Kid here plays burnball and strikes out maybe, in burnball strike you out sometimes. Nobelium strike out not.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Uuh....that should be element 116!

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:36 pm

"Uuh....Mo :?: "
Uuh....that should be element 116!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ununhexium wrote:
<<Ununhexium is the temporary name of a synthetic superheavy element with the temporary symbol Uuh and atomic number 116. There is no proposed name yet although moscovium (after Moscow Oblast in Russia, where the place of discovery, Dubna, is located) has been discussed in the media.

[Uuh] is placed as the heaviest member of group 16 (VIA) although a sufficiently stable isotope is not known at this time to allow chemical experiments to confirm its position as the heavier homologue to polonium.

[Uuh] was first detected in 2000 and since the discovery about 30 atoms of ununhexium have been produced, either directly or as a decay product of ununoctium, and are associated with decays from the four neighbouring isotopes with masses 290–293. The most stable isotope to date is ununhexium-293 with a half-life of ~60 ms.>>
Ann wrote:
I thinks myj Engelsk not very good is. I understands not "struck out". I thinks it's means, Nobelium can't play with other elements. I thinks that's Nobelium much fair. I thinks baseball term "struck out" may is it be. I understands not baseball. Me Swedish, I think burnball good. Kid here plays burnball and strikes out maybe, in burnball strike you out sometimes. Nobelium strike out not.
-------------------------------------
To strike out, v. t.:

[list](a) To produce by collision; to force out, as, to strike out sparks with steel.

(b) To blot out; to efface; to erase. To methodize is as necessary as to strike out." Pope.

(c) To form by a quick effort; to devise; to invent; to contrive, as, to strike out a new plan of finance.

(d) (Baseball) To cause a player to strike out; -- said of the pitcher.[/list]-------------------------------------
To strike out, v. i.:

[list](a) To start; to wander; to make a sudden excursion; as, to strike out into an irregular course of life.

(b) To strike with full force.

(c) (Baseball) To be put out for not hitting the ball during one's turn at the bat.[/list]-------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:16 pm

neufer wrote:...bat.
Yes, that's it :!: This whole thread is 'BATS'. :lol:

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Uuh....that should be element 116!

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:12 pm

neufer wrote:
Ann wrote:
I thinks myj Engelsk not very good is. I understands not "struck out". I thinks it's means, Nobelium can't play with other elements. I thinks that's Nobelium much fair. I thinks baseball term "struck out" may is it be. I understands not baseball. Me Swedish, I think burnball good. Kid here plays burnball and strikes out maybe, in burnball strike you out sometimes. Nobelium strike out not.
-------------------------------------
To strike out, v. t.:

[list](a) To produce by collision; to force out, as, to strike out sparks with steel.

(b) To blot out; to efface; to erase. To methodize is as necessary as to strike out." Pope.

(c) To form by a quick effort; to devise; to invent; to contrive, as, to strike out a new plan of finance.

(d) (Baseball) To cause a player to strike out; -- said of the pitcher.[/list]-------------------------------------
To strike out, v. i.:

[list](a) To start; to wander; to make a sudden excursion; as, to strike out into an irregular course of life.

(b) To strike with full force.

(c) (Baseball) To be put out for not hitting the ball during one's turn at the bat.[/list]-------------------------------------
So... nobelium produced by a collision? What did it produce? It forced out? What did it force out? It blotted out, effaced or erased? What did it blot out, efface or erase? It formed by a quick effort? Whose efforts formed it? It devised, invented or contrived - what? It struck out (the ball) - yes, that's what I thought. It started - what? It wandered, where? It made a sudden excursion - Into what? It struck what with full force? It was put out for not hitting the ball at its turn at the bat? I thought it was something like that, which is why I protested.

Okay - Oxygen, Potassium - but beyond's original question still doesn't make sense to me:
What is suggested by that? And how can the answer to that question be "OK"? :?: :?: :?:

Yes, I got the idea that "Oxygen, Potassium" can be spelled and pronounced OK, but beyond's question confused me. I'm still trying to translate, quite unsuccessfully, the idea of nobelium striking out. I have no problem with the idea of seeing Nobelium as a personification of an abstract concept, or, more precisely, as a personification of an atomic element. I have, in principle, no problem with seeing this personification of an atomic element doing something like, perhaps, playing baseball (although the idea of it doing that strikes me as most unnecessary), but I just don't get what it means here that it would strike out! I think it is the "out-of-the-blue" aspect of it that has me going "Huh?". :?: Or maybe "Uhh?".

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:20 am

Ann, if one strikes out, one cannot go to first base.Part of the Title of this thread is-->who's on first? Orin answered-->Oxygen, Potasium, which are the third and fourth ones mentioned. Orin skipped over the first and second ones-->Nobelium and Sodium. Therefore i said "That means Nobelium struck out then, eh?", in reference to orin's referring to Oxygen and Potasium as candidates for who was on first. However, it could be that both Nobelium and Sodium had both hit home runs and were both gone from the bases, or perhaps that both of them had gotten 'base-hits' and were actually on second and third base, or any other combination of things that lead them to not be on first base. Of course my question about Nobelium was only a partial question about the first two elements, because orin appeared to be guessing that one of the third and fourth elements was on first, in reply to the question part of the thread-->Who's on First?
Perhaps if i had originally said-->That means that Nobelium and Sodium both struck out then,eh?, it might have made a little more sense to you. Does this help in the 'understanding my question', department?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:55 am

Ann, if one strikes out, one cannot go to first base.Part of the Title of this thread is-->who's on first?
Oh! I never understood the title, either, but I ignored that. In your reply, the one that confused me, you referred to the title. No wonder I didn't get anything.

Thanks for explaining! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:18 am

That's alright. We all get 'brain-lock' sometimes. I'm very well practised in it :!: :lol:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:29 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Ann wrote:
Beyond wrote:
Ann, if one strikes out, one cannot go to first base. Part of the Title of this thread is-->who's on first?
Oh! I never understood the title, either, but I ignored that.
In your reply, the one that confused me, you referred to the title.
No wonder I didn't get anything.
As bystander's clip shows:

"Who's on First?" refers to the defense-man on First Base (a.k.a., the First Base Man)
NOT the offense-man who is 'running around the bases' after batting the ball.

Hence: No one can strike out except the pitcher.

[P.S., the rules of baseball are much much more complicated than astrophysics.]
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Beyond wrote:Ann, if one strikes out, one cannot go to first base.Part of the Title of this thread is-->who's on first? Orin answered-->Oxygen, Potasium, which are the third and fourth ones mentioned. Orin skipped over the first and second ones-->Nobelium and Sodium. Therefore i said "That means Nobelium struck out then, eh?", in reference to orin's referring to Oxygen and Potasium as candidates for who was on first. However, it could be that both Nobelium and Sodium had both hit home runs and were both gone from the bases, or perhaps that both of them had gotten 'base-hits' and were actually on second and third base, or any other combination of things that lead them to not be on first base. Of course my question about Nobelium was only a partial question about the first two elements, because orin appeared to be guessing that one of the third and fourth elements was on first, in reply to the question part of the thread-->Who's on First?
Perhaps if i had originally said-->That means that Nobelium and Sodium both struck out then,eh?, it might have made a little more sense to you. Does this help in the 'understanding my question', department?
I was answering sarcastically! Like; OK! :roll: -- Like Huh! :roll: Sorry; I wasn't following the Script of Abbot and Costello! (BTY Two of the great comedians!) 8-)
Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:44 pm

The cartoon has absolutely nothing to do with baseball, but is highly reminiscent of the classic Abbot and Costello skit. Sort of a Periodic Table "Who's on First?".

Oxygen Potassium :?:
— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:45 pm

bystander wrote:The cartoon has absolutely nothing to do with baseball, but is highly reminiscent of the classic Abbot and Costello skit. Sort of a Periodic Table "Who's on First?".

Oxygen Potassium :?:

OK! :lol: :mrgreen: :wink:
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:41 pm

I finally got around to watching that Abbott and Costello video. It was fun even for me, the baseball illiterate! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

jessy27
Ensign

Post by jessy27 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Ann,
Can't be named after a Swede, the Swedish don't play baseball :!:

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 pm

jessy27 wrote:Ann,
Can't be named after a Swede, the Swedish don't play baseball :!:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_B ... ampionship

Great fun with the periodic table :D