Facebook harmful to kids

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
muneca1289
Ensign
AKA: sharpie

Facebook harmful to kids

Post by muneca1289 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:06 am

i don't think this is right what do u think?

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostersh ... rit=104530
i broken heart will always mend but the pain will always be there

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Facebook harmful to kids

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 am

muneca1289 wrote:i don't think this is right what do u think?
http://www.latimes.com/health/boostersh ... rit=104530
Sounds very plausible to me. Facebook has always struck me as a socially unhealthy environment (as most social networking tools are- although nothing reaches the level of Twitter as a tool for societal destruction). I wouldn't let my own kids have Facebook accounts.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:52 am

I'd want to see the study. It may be that kids who already have various difficulties (personality disorders, etc.) are the ones most likely to use Facebook a lot. Correlation is not causation, IOW. My son, who has a PPD, uses online communication a lot with his friends. He has to -- the kids he has connected with the most, he knows from his summer camps, and they don't live in this area. (He's not much into Facebook, but he does have mad texting skillz.)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:38 pm

I don't trust the site. I get a lot of email invitation to join and from people I don't even know. :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:02 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I don't really connect with many people on Facebook. It's pretty much turned into a place I go to if I want to see funny pictures and memes. A couple of people use it for political stuff. Oh boy, another Ron Paul video!
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

muneca1289
Ensign

Post by muneca1289 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:18 pm

owlice wrote:I'd want to see the study. It may be that kids who already have various difficulties (personality disorders, etc.) are the ones most likely to use Facebook a lot. Correlation is not causation, IOW. My son, who has a PPD, uses online communication a lot with his friends. He has to -- the kids he has connected with the most, he knows from his summer camps, and they don't live in this area. (He's not much into Facebook, but he does have mad texting skillz.)
that is a good point but i want to see the age groups.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:28 pm

It seems the entire IT Division at my former employer are on FB, and many former employees. It does give me a way to keep in touch with my former co-workers and a lot of my family members. However, that said, my reason for joining FB was the creation of the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) FB fan page. Now I'm obligated to maintain it.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:52 pm

I've tried to join, but I can't stay interested. The way I understand it, you are supposed to write tiny little messages and "updates" about yourself. Current status: Am in shoe department of megastore XXXL, trying on latest model of Adidas sneakers. Think I'll buy them.

I couldn't keep doing that. Or at least, I couldn't keep writing about it. Can't say I really want to read that kind of messages from other people, either.

Ann
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Ann wrote:I've tried to join, but I can't stay interested. The way I understand it, you are supposed to write tiny little messages and "updates" about yourself. ...

I couldn't keep doing that. Or at least, I couldn't keep writing about it. Can't say I really want to read that kind of messages from other people, either.
You don't have to post anything. I post more on the APOD page than I do my personal page. Mostly all I post on my personal page is my QOTD and links to Maxine, whom I find hilarious. They haven't kicked geckzilla and owlice off yet, and as far as I can tell, they never post anything, although they do help maintain the APOD page.

As far as 'trying to join', you either join, or you don't. There is not 'trying' to it. As verbose as you are here, I find it hard to believe you couldn't find something to post there.
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:53 pm

I think I've posted more on the APOD page in the past couple of months than on my personal page. I joined Facebook because that is the main way students from my old boarding school keep in touch. As it was an international school, people were from all over, and that remains true today. Next year's reunion is in Thailand.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:16 pm

owlice wrote:Next year's reunion is in Thailand.
That might be fun.
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:28 pm

bystander wrote:That might be fun.
I'm sure people will let me know whether it was!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:49 am

bystander wrote:

As far as 'trying to join', you either join, or you don't.
I guess I meant to say that I'm trying to remember how I access my account. But I'm not trying very hard.
As verbose as you are here, I find it hard to believe you couldn't find something to post there.
Hey, bystander, Starship Asterisk* gets all my attention. :blah:

Ann
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:44 pm

Ann wrote:I've tried to join, but I can't stay interested. The way I understand it, you are supposed to write tiny little messages and "updates" about yourself.

Current status: Am in shoe department of megastore XXXL, trying on latest model of Adidas sneakers. Think I'll buy them.

Ann wrote:Starship Asterisk* gets all my attention. :blah:
You mean like "Plum cake, Darth Vader shoes, and apricot-colored skirts?" :roll:
— Garrison Keillor

eleanormars
Ensign

Post by eleanormars » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:33 am

there is nothing wrong with social media sites, it's a matter of controlling your children or rather teaching them how to control themselves when it comes to interacting online. it could actually be beneficial, teaching kids responsability at an early age. but a site cannot do that, parents must. so i suppose it is easier for parents to blame a site rather than their own lack of contribution to their child's education. :roll:

muneca1289
Ensign

Post by muneca1289 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:39 pm

eleanormars wrote:there is nothing wrong with social media sites, it's a matter of controlling your children or rather teaching them how to control themselves when it comes to interacting online. it could actually be beneficial, teaching kids responsability at an early age. but a site cannot do that, parents must. so i suppose it is easier for parents to blame a site rather than their own lack of contribution to their child's education. :roll:
you do have a good point like video games parents just blame the world for their kids playing blood and gore games they need to control hat their kids do and not do.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:35 am

Phone numbers :?:

Report http://www.mercatornet.com/tiger_print/view/8764/

Facebook says no?

http://mashable.com/2011/08/11/facebook-phone-numbers/

Is facebook giving out phone numbers?
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Haha bystander, I actually used to post my thoughts on all of those quotations you put in your status but then realized that nobody gives a crap. Otherwise, any updates usually involve food and are usually spaced about a month apart. I have written about a seahorse corpse, my neighbors, the end of the world, and making a lot of sushi. :lol:
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.