Ultra parachute jump

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
ianb4all
Ensign

Ultra parachute jump

Post by ianb4all » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:32 am

Wild thinking here but what would it take for someone to get launched from the iss to earth using a parachute?
I know we would have to take into consideration of re-entry.
1.What would a single person need to survive a re-entry into earth's atmosphere.
2.We already know that one can survive a high altitude jump from 102,800 feet (31,300 m, 20 miles).(unless some secret covert operation has already done this-but the public could do it to put it in the record books and help progress man technology wise with what we are capable of)
3.What type of gear would we need to achieve this?

I was thinking of a full body suit type of of gear that encloses the "jumper" that's launched from the iss/space shuttle or future space craft directed at the right angle and velocity to re-enter earth's atmosphere assisted. Once at a certain height- the "jumper" can eject or more accurately (eject would be the wrong term as it would mean using a vehicle of sorts to assist in the re-entry which we don't want- we would prefer a "suit" of sorts that the "jumper" could dispose of at heights that would sustain normal jump parameters from high altitude) leave/discard once through earth's re-entry.

I was thinking in the lines of a 3-stage suit- 1st stage would be a suit or vehicle(prefer suit though as vehicle would sort of be considered as a "cheat" of sorts) similar to what divers have that they use with propellers to "assist them in effortless movement under the oceans* for example -Sea Diver Diving Propulsion System.
This unit would obviously be rocket or for weight purposes be gas propelled and enclosed to survive the re-entry process. With some thinking which we are definitely not short off ( we all know who they are and some in secret -lol as they say) know they exist, brainiacs ofc.

The trick would be to get a single "jumper" or astronaut from the iss height to re-entry- once through re-entry we can use standard protocols for high altitude jumps set by Joseph Kittinger's 1960 jump from 102,800 feet (31,300 m-20 miles), though with some testing -we have had man spaced walks with suits but unsure of what type of suit would be needed for such heights to survive high altitude plummet through earth low gravity at such heights.

I have brain stormed enough on this tonight- now I need other peoples thoughts on this project please- go ahead and add some input as to how we could achieve this historical achievement which no doubt would go down in history for a long long time! (could think of more but would prefer to have your opinions put forward which would make a more solid foundation for this project)
Will add input as soon as I can think of more or if people post ideas we can all brainstorm together to perhaps one day put this monumental achievement in the actual history books.
Thanks all and happy posting- let the brainstorming begin.
Take care all and happy posting ideas please.
Ian.

ianb4all
Ensign

Re: Ultra parachute jump

Post by ianb4all » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 am

Would like to put this forward to give people the "parameters" of the height we would achieve this goal.
courtesy of wikimedia ofc with huge thanks.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... itudes.jpg.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:58 am

What would the purpose of this be, exactly? What scientific value would come of this that couldn't be achieved some other way?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

ianb4all
Ensign

Post by ianb4all » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:33 am

owlice wrote:What would the purpose of this be, exactly? What scientific value would come of this that couldn't be achieved some other way?
Well that's the purpose of it- its never been done like this so the benefits are unknown till we attempt it- we can only gain knowledge from attempting such endeavours- we could gain knowledge for future space-station endeavours- like if a catastrophic accident happened on a space station or future moon station we would have the technology to do a quick and safe evacuation with the minimal of gear required or the fastest escape suit option.

Its ideas like this that will and could save future astronauts lives- if we don't imagine or think of ideas like this then we will never realise the full potential of space and its exploration.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:17 am

ianb4all wrote:Wild thinking here but what would it take for someone to get launched from the iss to earth using a parachute?
It is a very difficult problem, due to the high delta-v that needs to be shed. I think people have examined and largely rejected aerobraking methods as unworkable, which means your skydiver would require a significant heat shield, probably ablative, as well as some sort of active attitude control system. This starts sounding more like a re-entry capsule than a guy in a suit of some sort.

The situation from orbit is very different from the 20 mile fall, which began at zero speed with respect to the ground.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:02 pm

I thought about this a couple of years back and, as Chris says, delta-v is the problem. Somehow you have to slow the astrodiver down without requiring them to have their own personal rocket attached. A magnetic sling shot off the station would do the trick, but human beans can't take that kind of acceleration -- not to mention the station doesn't have that kind of power to spare.

Others have thought about this over the years, starting with a 1934 story by E.E. (Doc) Smith which featured a ball with an ablative shield used as a rescue device. And here's a 2007 story from Popular Science, complete with a suit design.

Rob

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 pm

ianb4all wrote:
Wild thinking here but what would it take for someone to get launched from the iss to earth using a parachute?

Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Hey - wheres the parachute?? There's something :fish: going on here :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Beyond wrote:
It's the red thingy.
Art Neuendorffer

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm

It was probably a good thing to use the blindfold. Don't want to scare the fishy away.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:40 am

neufer wrote:
Beyond wrote:
It's the red thingy.
The red thingy :?: Do you think he will be able to unfold it in time AND keep from having an X rated landing :?: :lol:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Post by Star*Hopper » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:53 pm

A lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-t of beer.
"Perhaps I'll never touch a star, but at least let me reach." ~J Faircloth

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Star*Hopper wrote:

A lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-t of beer.
... that and You Tube.

Actually, if the space elevator ever becomes a reality, people will do those jumps. A quick calculation indicates that doing a stationary jump from 350km will still be problematic. A velocity approaching Mach 7 will be reached at 100 km (Kármán line), and several g's of deacceleration are likely over the next minute or so in order to just reach Mach 2. I'm guessing overheating will still be the primary problem, even at the M=2. So my advice, ianb4all, try thinking about the stationary platform first. Dealing with M=7 is way easier than dealing with M=25 (>10x more energy!). Even so, that would be one stressed out dude.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:42 am

The solution to the problem might be to have a 10' diameter hand held ceramic tile coated heat shield and dive head first holding the shield in front of you. You could possibly even be sitting on it. Similar to the ones used for Mars Rover landings.

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Post by Star*Hopper » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:53 am

Oh! I worked out the protection some 20 years ago.
Ice suit, with air bubble inside.
"Perhaps I'll never touch a star, but at least let me reach." ~J Faircloth