Semantics, lexigraphy, syntax, spelling, grammar...

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: The Kings' English (Queen)

Post by rstevenson » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Tony, you need to go back to the person that taught you English, and demand a refund. Or at least a refund proportional to the value of the correct use of the apostrophe -- perhaps, let's say, 2% or so.

You demand we show you "US schools English books" (not Canadian? or Australian? or British?) to prove we're right. Why not turn the tables and show us your source to prove we're wrong? Really. I want to see your source. Right now. ... I'm waiting ... ... .

Rob

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Tony,

I advise you to take Rob's advice, because continuing on the path you are on will get you banned, as you are looking more and more like a troll.

Owlice
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

KayFlyte

Post by KayFlyte » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Tony, you psuedomarginal twit,

You're wrong. Admit it. Incidently, people are hanged, pictures are hung. And a painting and a picture are not the same thing, though both are hung on walls.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Ok Mr. Mastrullo, here's the page on apostrophes from Steps in Composition (seventh edition) by Troyka and Nudelman, published by Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-651985-7
Make sure you click it to see the legible, full size version.
Your turn.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:31 pm

mastrulo wrote:at the end of the day, if the truth is equal to 5, then 5 it was, 5 it is and 5 it will be.
The APOD's wording is correct. The readers' knowledge has been expressed in the many posts above.

The Cat's Eye refers unambiguously to the Eye possessed by a singular cosmic Cat.

http://www.eng-lang.co.uk/apostrophes.htm

Eye of the Cat.

There is your 5 and your 5 it was, is, and shall be (until someone, probably a "musician", changes the English language).

Perhaps you were thinking about it, its, and it's, which follow an exception to the rule to keep the possessive "its" from being confused with the contraction of "it is".

Vulcans don't lie. Not even evil vulcans.

-Noel

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:04 pm

NoelC wrote:Perhaps you were thinking about it, its, and it's, which follow an exception to the rule to keep the possessive "its" from being confused with the contraction of "it is".l
It nicely works out that way, but that isn't the grammatical reasoning. "Its" isn't an exception at all. The rule in English is that the singular possessive of (most) ordinary nouns is produced with an apostrophe and an "s", but this rule doesn't apply to pronouns. That's why "its" the pronoun has no apostrophe, just as is the case for "theirs", "hers", "ours" and similar pronouns. The lack of apostrophes in possessive pronouns isn't intended to prevent confusion with possible contractions, it just reflects the developmental history of English.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Fair enough; thank you for the correction. I don't profess to know much about the history; I jus' tries to get them runes typed as right as I can. :)

-Noel

islader2

APOD: Celestial Trails over Greece (2011 May 04)

Post by islader2 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Neufer, I am dissapointed that you did not point out to "ROSE'" the difference between "nauseas" and "nauseated" or "nauseous". (You do is best.) While I have your attention, please archive the fact that I hereby renounce my ownership of the copywright to the phrase, videlicet: if you do not like it, come back tomorrow {end entry}. It is a great honor to have DISCUSS adopt the phrase as its mantra; thus, have it for all to share--in wiki spirit. Thanx.

Rose
Asternaut

Re: APOD: Celestial Trails over Greece (2011 May 04)

Post by Rose » Thu May 05, 2011 3:19 am

islader2 wrote:Neufer, I am dissapointed that you did not point out to "ROSE'" the difference between "nauseas" and "nauseated" or "nauseous". (You do is best.) While I have your attention, please archive the fact that I hereby renounce my ownership of the copywright to the phrase, videlicet: if you do not like it, come back tomorrow {end entry}. It is a great honor to have DISCUSS adopt the phrase as its mantra; thus, have it for all to share--in wiki spirit. Thanx.
Perhaps I should have said "Regurgitate"..........get a life and yes, Thanx - isn't that misspelled too?

Rose

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Semantics, lexigraphy, syntax, spelling, grammar...

Post by geckzilla » Thu May 05, 2011 4:46 am

Ok, well now we have an official place to put any discussions on various uses of the English language.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Sat May 07, 2011 2:53 am

geckzilla wrote:Ok, well now we have an official place to put any discussions on various uses of the English language.
In other words, "trash thread". :twisted:

-Noel

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat May 07, 2011 5:36 am

That's too short for this thread. Get out your thesaurus. It's an amalgamation of emotional discourse about grammar.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:11 am

Perhaps you could expand "Grammar" to read "proper post modern verbal etiquette"