APOD Year in Review - 2010

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

APOD Year in Review - 2010

Post by owlice » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:53 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
A look at some of the scientifically important, fascinating, and beautiful images featured on Astronomy Picture of the Day in 2010.

Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) is originated, written, coordinated, and edited since 1995 by Robert Nemiroff (MTU) and Jerry Bonnell (UMCP) and is a service of ASD at NASA / GSFC & Michigan Tech. U. The APOD archive contains the largest collection of annotated astronomical images on the internet.

This video was created by a fan of APOD (*cough* - that'd be me) and is not affiliated with APOD in any official capacity. All copyrighted images and music used with permission of the respective copyright holders.

~ owlice
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: APOD Year in Review - 2010

Post by rstevenson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Thank you! :b:

That's a great selection of APODs. I particularly appreciate your inclusion of a globular cluster as they, for reasons unexamined, appeal to me greatly.

Rob

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks, Rob; it was very hard to narrow it down. I like globular clusters, too; they are one of nature's jewel boxes and proof that old is beautiful!

When bystander wakes up, he has some explaining to do; I'm off to sharpen my talons. :owl: :D

Sam
Science Officer

Post by Sam » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Well done, owlice! Excellent choice of music. I had never heard of that piece [Henning Viola Sonata]. I will definitely look it up. Yay for new music!

Sam
"No avian society ever develops space travel because it's impossible to focus on calculus when you could be outside flying." -Randall Munroe

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:55 pm

Thank you, Sam! I'm glad you like the music, and Karl Henning will be even happier that you like it. :- ) That is the only recording of that music that exists, I believe; the sonata was written for the violist in the recording, for that recital. I can put you in touch with Karl if you want more information about the work.