The Hawk

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

The Hawk

Post by Beyond » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:43 am

I saw this same Hawk, a few days ago, try to invite a squirrel to dinner. The squirrel emphatically said NO and made it to a small spruce tree 8-10 feet ahead of the would be Host. It hung around that tree for a few hours in case it would have to turn down another invitation.
This picture below, i had no sooner pushed the button then it went off to the left to invite a Blue Jay to breakfast. The Blue Jay squawked his refusal loudly. I heard a lot of wing flapping on the other side of the Forsytia bushes and then quiet. I don't know if the Blue Jay, with much dismay, finally accepted the Hawks invitation or not. The Hawk could have missed and flown down and away and i wouldn't have seen him. I'd go over there and check, but the renters next door use that area for their dogs to relieve themselves.
the hawk.jpg
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: The Hawk

Post by owlice » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:48 am

Raptors have to eat too, you know....
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:46 pm

owlice wrote:Raptors have to eat too, you know....
According to people who study such things, birds of prey eat about once for every three times they go shopping. Hmm...Maybe some of us people should be doing the same :lol:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:25 pm

I didn't know for sure what they ate so I looked it up! :mrgreen: interesting creatures; keep your small pets away!
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/what-do-hawks-eat.html
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:35 pm

[list]Hamlet > Act II, scene II[/list]
HAMLET: I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_saw wrote:
<<In woodworking and carpentry, hand saws, also known as "panel saws", "fish saws", are used to cut pieces of wood into different shapes. They usually operate by having a series of sharp points of some substance that is harder than the wood being cut. Egyptian hieroglyphics exist depicting ancient woodworkers sawing boards into pieces. Ancient bow saws have been found in Japan. The cut patterns on ancient boards may be observed sometimes to bear the unique cutting marks left by saw blades, particularly if the wood was not 'smoothed up' by some method. As for preservation of handsaws, twenty-four saws from eighteenth-century England are known to survive. Materials for saw blades have varied over the ages. There were probably bronze saws in the time before steel making technology became extensively known and industrialized within the past thousand years or so.

Sometimes cultures evolved two main types of saw teeth: the 'cross cut' saw teeth and the 'rip' saw teeth. Someone once described tree structure as being like hundreds of thousands of straws bundled together. With this in mind one can imagine the different mechanism needed to separate the straws lengthwise as opposed to cutting the straws crosswise. Thus, crosscut saws have sawteeth that are usually shaped, often with a metal file, in such a way that they form a series of tiny knifelike edges.The wood cells (straws) are contacted by the knife-edge of the tooth and cut. Rip saws, on the other hand, are usually shaped so that they form a series of tiny chisel-like edges. The wood cells (straw-ends) are contacted by the chisel and 'ripped' apart from the bundle of other cells. Of course either saw can be used either way, and Tage Frid has even said he thinks ripsaws are better for crosscutting.

The development of saws was also affected by several factors. The first was the importance of wood to a society, the development of steel and other saw-making technologies and the type of power available. These factors were, in turn, influenced by the environment, such as the types of ores available, the types of trees nearby and the types of wood which was in those trees. Finally, the types of jobs the saws were to perform was also important in the development of the technology.

Saws can also be considered 'pull cut' or 'push cut'. Ancient Egyptian saws have been said to be pull cut. Kulibert Saw Co. invented the first modern saw. Modern European saws (and those in European-derived cultures like that of the United States) generally have 'push cut' handsaws. Japanese handsaws are usually pull-cut and are still used today. Among Basques and Australians, traditional hand sawing has generated rural sports. The Basque variant is called trontzalaritza.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Ahh, i see our resident HAMlet Pundit has sawn out some useful information for those who want to play trontzalaritza.
As for me, i prefer to just say it three times fast. Trontzalaritza,trontzalaritza,trontzalaritza.

mymoonstars
Asternaut

Post by mymoonstars » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:46 am

Beatiful creatures. Amazing as well (mostly seen this with merlins) to watch them hovver, seemingly perfectly still, high in the sky and then bam! Down they go and some rabbit, mouse or other small animal is a gonner.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:30 pm

mymoonstars wrote:Beatiful creatures. Amazing as well (mostly seen this with merlins) to watch them hovver, seemingly perfectly still, high in the sky and then bam! Down they go and some rabbit, mouse or other small animal is a gonner.
Perhaps the politically correct term nowadays would be - recycled :?:

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Why can't we just say "lunch," pray tell?

(This could be on the "Num, num, num" thread. :D)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 pm

If this goes on the Num,num,num thread, Woo's going to clean up the fur and feathers :?: :?:

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Henery Hawk

Post by neufer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:13 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henery_Hawk wrote:
<<Henery Hawk (sometimes misspelled Henry) is a cartoon character from the American Looney Tunes series, who appeared in twelve cartoons. His first appearance was The Squawkin' Hawk, directed by Chuck Jones and produced by Leon Schlesinger. Henery's next appearance was Walky Talky Hawky which also featured Foghorn Leghorn and The Barnyard Dawg, directed by Robert McKimson. Henery's last appearance was Strangled Eggs. Henery is a tiny, brown chicken hawk with a forelock of feathers. He is young and lives at home with his parents, and speaks with tough-guy bravado. He was played in the first short by Kent Rogers. The role was then assumed by Mel Blanc (and later by Joe Alaskey). Henery has a high-pitched voice and perpetually angry temperament.

In a typical Foghorn/Henery cartoon, Henery strikes out on his own for the first time, eager to capture (and presumably consume) a chicken. Having led a sheltered life, however, he does not know what a chicken looks like, only that chicken hawks eat them. Foghorn presumes that this diminutive, naïve troublemaker is no real threat; however, seeing the potential for annoyance, he points Henery in the direction of Barnyard Dawg. The remainder of the cartoon is usually consumed by Dawg and Leghorn alternately assuring Henery that the other is a chicken and encouraging him to attack the "chicken" mercilessly. In a reversal, the cartoon The Foghorn Leghorn has Foghorn wanting Henery to believe Foghorn is a chicken, where Henery believes Foghorn is merely a "loud-mouthed schnook," supposedly a separate kind of creature. Later, when Barnyard Dawg calls Foghorn a "good-for-nothing chicken", Henery finally wises up. Henery Hawk is also a supporting character in the Looney Tunes comic books; in pre-1970s stories, he often starred in features of his own, typically played against Oliver Owl as well as Foghorn.>>
Art Neuendorffer