NGC 7727

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
kentbiggs
Ensign

NGC 7727

Post by kentbiggs » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:13 am

Combined images from this weekend with those from a year ago. Details about the image at the bottom of the following link http://kentbiggs.com/images/Galaxies/N7727.htm

NGC 7727 - Clash of the Titans
http://www.kentbiggs.com
Copyright: Kent Biggs

Clear Skies,
Kent.

Ann
4725 Å

Re: NGC 7727

Post by Ann » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:03 am

I found this information about NGC 7727 on the net:
Paper: Star Cluster Population in NGC 7727

Volume: 322, The Formation and Evolution of Massive Young Star Clusters

Page: 219

Authors: Trancho, G.; Miller, B.W.; Schweizer, F.; Whitmore, B.

Abstract: We present observations of the merger NGC7727 taken in the optical with HST and in the K-band with Gemini South in excellent seeing. Comparing the optical data with Monte-Carlo simulations (Whitmore et al. 1997) suggests the presence of an intermediate-age population, but this is not conclusive due to the age/metallicity degeneracy in optical colours. Therefore, we have obtained images in Ks with FLAMINGOS-I on Gemini South since the V-I vs. V-Ks diagram is an excellent separator of age and metallicity. Comparing the data with Bruzual & Charlot (2001) models confirms the presence of an intermediate-age population (between 1-2 Gyr) and, surprisingly, a lack of old, metal-poor clusters.
So there is an intermediate population here, 1-2 billion years old, which says something about when the merger stopped generating new stars. Clearly NGC 7727 is an elliptical galaxy in the making.

It is a fascinating picture. I like the subtle colors: the bulge is yellow-orange, the arms are mostly greyish-neutral (made up of intermediate-aged stars, no doubt) and there is a hint of blue in two arcs on opposite sides of the bulge. That is probably where we find the youngest stars in this galaxy. Fascinatingly, though, "above" the bulge there is what looks like a large cluster or an association, but it isn't really bluish in color - perhaps it is a background galaxy?

There really does seem to be a double nucleus in this galaxy!

This is a very interesting picture, Kent. Thank you for posting it!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: NGC 7727

Post by bystander » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:48 am

Ann wrote:I found this information about NGC 7727 on the net:
Paper: Star Cluster Population in NGC 7727

Volume: 322, The Formation and Evolution of Massive Young Star Clusters

Page: 219

Authors: Trancho, G.; Miller, B.W.; Schweizer, F.; Whitmore, B.
  • Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series, 2004
Study of the Star Cluster Population in NGC 7727 - G Trancho, B Miller, F Schweizer, and B Whitmore Welcome aboard the Starship Asterisk*, Kent! I agree with Ann, it is an interesting image and explanation. Thanks for posting.