Should APOD be afraid?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Andy Wade
Science Officer

Should APOD be afraid?

Post by Andy Wade » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:25 pm

OK, so Apple is in court over the use of the word 'Pod':

Apple, Startup Go to Trial Over Pod Trademark

Now I don't know about all of you out there, but I've always pronounced the acronym APOD as 'A-pod'...
Should Robert and Jerry be a-quaking in their boots? Could it all end in tears?

Just a fun question really! :twisted:
Regards,
Andy.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Should APOD be afraid?

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Andy Wade wrote:
OK, so Apple is in court over the use of the word 'Pod':

Apple, Startup Go to Trial Over Pod Trademark

Now I don't know about all of you out there, but I've always pronounced the acronym APOD as 'A-pod'...
Should Robert and Jerry be a-quaking in their boots? Could it all end in tears?
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 am

So if we don't watch out, Astronomy Picture of the Day may start looking like this:

Can you imagine the captions that would go with the APODs after they have become A-iPods? :evil:

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:07 am

Ann wrote:
Can you imagine the captions that would go with the APODs after they have become A-iPods? :evil:
  • ____ King Henry VI, part III > Act I, scene IV

YORK: 'Tis government that makes them seem divine;
    ____ The want thereof makes thee abominable:
    ____ Thou Art as opposite to every good
    ____ As the Antipodes are unto us,
    ____ Much Ado About Nothing > Act II, scene I

BENEDICK:I will go on the slightest errand now
    ____ to the Antipodes that you can devise to send me on;
Art Neuendorffer

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:18 am

Actually I think it will be more like this:

As a family, we're trying to embrace technology.
I bought an IPod for my daughter, an IPad for my son and an IPhone for myself.
The trouble started when I bought an IRon for my wife.

Do Americans think that IRony is a new product made by Apple?

Is IRan Apple's new nuclear strategy game that is based on a conflict in the Middle East?

Jeeves! Fetch my hat and cape and whistle me a hansom cab, there's a dear chap...
Regards,
Andy.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Andy Wade wrote:
As a family, we're trying to embrace technology.
I bought an IPod for my daughter, an IPad for my son and an IPhone for myself.
The trouble started when I bought an IRon for my wife.

Do Americans think that IRony is a new product made by Apple?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphigenia wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<IPhigenia (Greek Ἰφιγένεια) is a daughter of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra in Greek mythology. Her name means "strong-born", "born to strength", or "she who causes the birth of strong offspring."

Artemis punished Agamemnon after he killed a deer in a sacred grove and boasted he was the better hunter. On his way to Troy to participate in the Trojan War, Agamemnon's ships were suddenly motionless, as Artemis stopped the wind in Aulis. In Euripides’ IPhigenia at Aulis, Agamemnon is told by Calchus that in order for the winds to allow him to sail to Troy, Agamemnon must sacrifice IPhigenia to Artemis. Agamemnon fools Clytemnestra into bringing IPhigenia to Aulis by sending a letter to Clytemnestra telling her that IPhigenia will be married to Achilles. There is one moment in the play where Agamemnon regrets his decision and tries to send another letter telling them not to come, however Menelaus intercepts the letter. After Agamemnon and Menelaus have an argument, Clytemnestra arrives at Aulis with IPhigenia and Orestes. Agamemnon tries to convince Clytemnestra to go back to Argos while he marries IPhigenia to Achilles. Clytemnestra refuses to leave and plans on marrying off her daughter the proper way. When Clytemnestra sees Achilles she brings up the marriage, however Achilles doesn’t know what she is talking about and slowly the truth comes out about Agamemnon’s true plan. Achilles vows to help prevent the murder of IPhigenia even after the Greeks throw stones at him. After IPhigenia and Clytemnestra mourn together, IPhigenia makes the noble decision to die in honor and by her own will and asks Achilles not to stop the men. When IPhigenia is brought to the altar to be slain she willingly allows herself to be sacrificed. As IPhigenia is about to be slain a deer is put in her place.

In Euripides’ IPhigenia in Tauris, the play takes place after the sacrifice and after Orestes has killed Clytemnestra and Aegisthus. In order for Orestes to escape the persecutions of the Erinyes for killing his mother, Clytemnestra, and her lover, Orestes has been ordered by Apollo to go to Tauris. While in Tauris Orestes is to carry off the xoanon (carved wooden cult image) of Artemis which had fallen from heaven, and bring it to Athens. When Orestes arrives at Tauris with Pylades the pair are at once captured by the Tauri, among whom the custom is to sacrifice all Greek strangers to Artemis. The priestess of Artemis is IPhigenia, and it is her duty to perform the sacrifice. IPhigenia and Orestes don’t recognize each other. IPhigenia finds out from Orestes, who is still concealing his identity, that Orestes is alive. IPhigenia then offers to release Orestes if he will carry home a letter from her to Greece. Orestes refuses to go, but bids Pylades to take the letter while Orestes will stay to be slain. After a conflict of mutual affection, Pylades at last yields, but the letter brings about recognition between brother and sister, and all three escape together, carrying with them the image of Artemis. After their return to Greece, Orestes takes possession of his father's kingdom of Mycenae and Argos. IPhigenia leaves the image in the temple of Artemis in Brauron, Attica, where she remains as priestess of Artemis Brauronia. According to the Spartans, however, the image of Artemis was transported by them to Laconia, where the goddess was worshipped as Artemis Orthia.>>
Artemis Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Gaaahhh. The story about Iphigenia, Agamemnon, Clytemnestra and Orestes is one of the most horribly sexist stories I know. The version you cited, Art, is the least sexist one. There are others where Agamemnon indeed sacrifices his daughter to get a favorable wind so he can sail to the city of Troy. Clytemnestra, Iphigenia's mother and Agamemnon's wife, is understandably miffed that her husband has killed her daughter, so when Agamemnon comes home from Troy she has him killed. But then Orestes, Agamemnon and Clytemnestra's son, considers it his duty to kill his mother, so that it what he does. Now the Furies haunt Orestes and demand that he must be killed for committing matricide. But then the goddess Athena proclaims that Orestes did the right thing: he had to avenge the murder of his father, because, said Athena, the father is the child's one true parent. The "mother" is not a real parent at all, but rather an incubator where the already fully formed but tiny baby grows to the proper size.

So according to this story, it's okay for fathers to kill their daughters and for sons to kill their mothers, because females aren't true human beings at all but rather human-shaped incubators where the father deposits his semen! :evil:

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:18 pm

Ann wrote:
Gaaahhh. The story about Iphigenia, Agamemnon, Clytemnestra and Orestes is one of the most horribly sexist stories I know. Clytemnestra, Iphigenia's mother and Agamemnon's wife, is understandably miffed that her husband has killed her daughter, so when Agamemnon comes home from Troy she has him killed. But then Orestes, Agamemnon and Clytemnestra's son, considers it his duty to kill his mother, so that it what he does. Now the Furies haunt Orestes and demand that he must be killed for committing matricide. But then the goddess Athena proclaims that Orestes did the right thing: he had to avenge the murder of his father, because, said Athena, the father is the child's one true parent.
Gaaahhh :!:
William Congreve, in The mourning bride, 1697:

Yes, thou shalt know, spite of thy past Distress,
And all those Ills which thou so long hast mourn'd;
Heav'n has no Rage, like Love to Hatred turn'd,
Nor Hell a Fury, like a Womb-Ann scorn'd.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Ann wrote: Gaaahhh

Even though that sounds like "LIVE" Klingon food, it would appear to be more directed at Ann's disgust at something she wrote that she should read a little closer.
Athena was not talking about women being a place for men to deposit their semen. Back then they didn't know as much about things as we do today. Athena thought that men deposited tiny little babies into women who then grew them up to full size. Then, they did not realize that the women provided the body and the men provided the characteristics for that body. So Athena was half right. The women do grow the body, but only if it has received the characteristics from the men. It takes both male and female or there is nothing, nada, zilch!!
Could it be that when our color commentator Ann read what Athena had said, she lost a little of her normal lovely blue color and red-shifted a bit and then gave her reply of saying that Athena has said that women were only a depository for the semen of men?, when THAT is not what Athena had said, because Athena did not know as much about the process as Ann does? It is almost always to easy to make the mistake of putting today's knowledge into what people of the past are saying and get off on the wrong foot.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.