Welcome: using NSL images to understand the night sky

The cosmos at our fingertips.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

Welcome: using NSL images to understand the night sky

Post by RJN » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:14 pm

Welcome!

If you are new to the Night Sky Live (NSL) possibly the first place you want to go is the NSL for Beginners page. There you will get a basic introduction to the odd-looking all-sky images that the NSL CONtinuous CAMeras (CONCAMs) take continually take and post.

NSL images will be similar to what you can see from from your location. A cloudless dark sky will look the same at any latitude. Therefore, if you match your latitude (i.e. "distance from the Earth's equator") to that of an NSL CONCAM, that CONCAM will see the same stars rise at sunset, the same stars set at sunset, and the same positions of the planets relative to the sunrise and sunset all night long. This is true for CONCAM images taken on the same night or within just a few nights.

So here we will post NSL images with annotations that will likely be similar to what you can see yourself. The images can hopefully help anyone to better understand the sky visible right outside their own window or door!

- RJN

The Meal
Ensign

Post by The Meal » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:15 am

Like the FAQ on the "For Beginners" page. However, I'd like an explanation added as to the objects noted in the yellow squares (such as is seen in this image from the Canary Islands) as seen in the annoted photos.

Just a suggestion,
~The Meal
BSME, Michigan Tech 1995
MSME, Michigan Tech 2000

Vic Muzzin
Ensign

Post by Vic Muzzin » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:38 am

The Meal wrote:Like the FAQ on the "For Beginners" page. However, I'd like an explanation added as to the objects noted in the yellow squares (such as is seen in this image from the Canary Islands) as seen in the annoted photos.

Just a suggestion,
~The Meal
Thanks for the feedback on the page. An explaination does need to be added for what you are seeing. Lior has been working to get WOLF to automatically identify points within an image that deviate from an expected value. These yellow squares indicate a detection of a transient which may be of interest. NSL collects so much data it is of great value to try and automatically isolate areas of activity for further study. We will try to add get that info added as quickly as possible. If you have any more suggestions they would be GREATLY appreciated!

Reyanah
Asternaut

Post by Reyanah » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:38 am

In the southern sky I can see now at night a crescent moon and a very bright star.. er..planet next to it...what is it?

And also I found a photo of a national flag with a crescent moon and a star by it... its Turkey
All things great and small.

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:39 am

Is there a way to connect to NSL Cam live & direct from home PC? Or is the pleasure reserved for the ppl invloved in the project?
The Universe Is What You Think It Is. Every Thought Ever Thought Is True.

nlmarsh
Asternaut

Orientation

Post by nlmarsh » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:50 am

I think this is appropriate here. It would help a great deal if photos/pictures put on APOD could indicate which is North, & which is East ... a good idea for the night sky, & more so for enlarged pictures of galaxies, constellations, so that these can be compared with other sources. Not always easy, I guess, but it's a good thought? :roll:
nlmarsh