A pizza for Ann

The cosmos at our fingertips.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

A pizza for Ann

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002629/ wrote: Guest Post: Exposing Io's true colors
Aug. 20, 2010 | 15:15 PDT | 22:15 UTC

By now readers should know how interested I am in reconstructing views of solar system worlds as they'd appear to human eyes. Color matters more for some worlds than others. Jason Perry posted this entry on reconstructing the "true color" of Jupiter's moon Io on his blog yesterday, and I found it so fascinating and informative that I asked his permission to repost it here. He also just posted a cool entry on yesterday's "shrinking Moon" news story, with commentary on how Saturn's moons are likely expanding, not shrinking. --ESL

<<Creating color composite images from spacecraft data is almost as much an art as science, and how you create them can depend on the image processor's preferences and the purpose of the processing. I tend to prefer not to enhance the data anymore than necessary, and try to stay true to the original data, even if it isn't exactly true color. That said, it has been an interesting journey into trying to create a "true" color Io image. I may have to post a few more examples using the above formula. I also realized that creating "true" color images may be affected by the conversions of the original DN values of the Galileo raw data to I/F (intensity over flux), so stay tuned on this.>> - Jason Perry
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: A pizza for Ann

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:49 am

Neufer, if you had served Ann's pizza on a nice blue dish, perhaps it would have given Lo just enought of a blueish glow to attract the colorful Ann moth quicker :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:25 am

beyond wrote:Neufer, if you had served Ann's pizza on a nice blue dish, perhaps it would have given Lo just enought of a blueish glow to attract the colorful Ann moth quicker :!:
You bet it would! :mrgreen:

Ann

P.S. Thanks for the pizza! I don't usually like pizza, but this one was irresistible!
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Ann wrote:
beyond wrote:Neufer, if you had served Ann's pizza on a nice blue dish, perhaps it would have given Lo just enought of a blueish glow to attract the colorful Ann moth quicker :!:
You bet it would! :mrgreen:

Ann

P.S. Thanks for the pizza! I don't usually like pizza, but this one was irresistible!
And it looks big enough for everybody. :lol:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!