What is this? (UFO)

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
nuclearcat
Ensign

What is this? (UFO)

Post by nuclearcat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:35 pm

This is a gif animtaion of 3 pictures which were taken to make star trails. Each picture is 30s exposure. When I looked at the photos to investigate if there is any shooting star I saw something was moving through one picture to another. The strange thing is it is not like an ordinary satellite (or space debris). Because it is too slow as you see. And there is no trail on the photos. If it is a sattelite or debris, it must have very high altitude orbit since it is too slow. And it must be rotating for small interval of time. I will be very glad if I learn more about what it is! Do you have any guesses?
Attachments
ne.gif
The Moon is set,
And the Pleiades.
Night's half gone,
Time's passing.
I sleep alone now. ”

— Sappho

Henning Makholm
Science Officer

Re: What is this? (UFO)

Post by Henning Makholm » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:51 pm

nuclearcat wrote:This is a gif animtaion of 3 pictures which were taken to make star trails. Each picture is 30s exposure. When I looked at the photos to investigate if there is any shooting star I saw something was moving through one picture to another. The strange thing is it is not like an ordinary satellite (or space debris).
To me it looks like the smeared-out silhouette of a person walking towards the camera.

Edit: Ah, now I also see a moving spot of light, about halfway between the center and the upper-right corner.
How long a time between each 30s exposure?
Henning Makholm

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 am

I looked at it with a magnifying glass. I saw the Dot--the Dot jumped a little bit in the North x North-west direction, then continued out of sight in the same direction as a faint disappearing white line.
So to me it looks like you took the picture and got the white Dot. Took another picture and got the white Dot a little farther on and then took a third picture that does not show a Dot, but a length of faint white streak. If you took the pictures at the same time interval, why would the third one be a faint white streak? I don't know - do UFO?
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

nuclearcat
Ensign

Post by nuclearcat » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 am

These were taken in continuous mode so there is not more than 2 seconds between images. I couldn't see a white streak. It only appears to be a white dot.
The Moon is set,
And the Pleiades.
Night's half gone,
Time's passing.
I sleep alone now. ”

— Sappho

Henning Makholm
Science Officer

Post by Henning Makholm » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:49 am

nuclearcat wrote:These were taken in continuous mode so there is not more than 2 seconds between images.
Hm, so it has to be something that emits short bright flashes at intervals of between 30 and 60 seconds (short enough to show up in two consecutive exposures, long enough to be absent from the third). Comparison with the background stars should tell us the angular distance it moved between the two flashes and thus give a relationship between its height and speed.

I tried for about an hour to match the stars in the picture with an online star map, but utterly without success. Does that disqualify me from astronomy forums? It is most distracting that star maps all seem to come with lines that connect apparently arbitrarily chosen pairs of stars, when these lines are not actually present in the sky.
Henning Makholm

nuclearcat
Ensign

Post by nuclearcat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:57 am

Yeah you're right.it must be flashing for a short period of time. Unless it would leave a trail behind it. Here I also send two photo to see which stars are they.
Attachments
IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
The Moon is set,
And the Pleiades.
Night's half gone,
Time's passing.
I sleep alone now. ”

— Sappho

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:52 am

I've got my screen set at 150%, I'm wearing 2x magnifying glasses and using a 3 inch magnifying glass all at the same time and today i can't find the faint white streak that i saw when i posted last. All i can see is a dot in two different positions.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

nuclearcat
Ensign

Post by nuclearcat » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Here you can also see it on this photos. May be it can be helpful.
Attachments
IMG_4351.JPG
IMG_4348.JPG
The Moon is set,
And the Pleiades.
Night's half gone,
Time's passing.
I sleep alone now. ”

— Sappho