Strange Markings On Mars... Hale Region...

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Evenstar
Ensign

Strange Markings On Mars... Hale Region...

Post by Evenstar » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:57 am

How many times have you heard that one before? A friend is very much into conspiracy theories for everything unexplainable. He presented this to me the other day. I'm posting it here in the hopes that there is a scientific explaination for the effect or that it is a proven hoax of some sort even though the presenters insist the picture is un-doctored.

http://www.marsanomalyresearch.com/evid ... idence.htm

Warning... I'm not interested in conspiracy. If that's all you've got then don't waste your time with this post. If there remains no scientific explanation to date I would like to know that. Thank you.

swainy

Re: Strange Markings On Mars... Hale Region...

Post by swainy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Evenstar wrote:Warning... I'm not interested in conspiracy. If that's all you've got then don't waste your time with this post. If there remains no scientific explanation to date I would like to know that. Thank you.
There are many unusual things to see on Mars. I have seen many. People can write anything, and fix any photos to make me believe. The thing is, If it was real, they would of told us, The people who took the photo, have told us about other stuff that blew us away. And made the science community go into a frenzy searching for answers. And that has Happened many times.

tc

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:56 pm

Evenstar wrote:... I'm posting it here in the hopes that there is a scientific explaination for the effect or that it is a proven hoax of some sort even though the presenters insist the picture is un-doctored.
:P Would they admit it if they thought the image was doctored?

But that is what it is. In fact they describe the doctoring, except that they present it as a process of clarifying the image. But anyone can take any image with a certain degree of degradation in it -- like the one they started with, and create patterns in it using a variety of effects in a graphics program. It's inherent in the digital medium that this happens. I could probably start out with a poor picture of the middle of my back and make it look like ET's parking lot on Venus, or a recently diciphered Sumerian tablet clearly showing they knew about the Periodic Table of Elements up to element 126.

Rob
Last edited by rstevenson on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:57 pm

From what's here, and not wanting to spend a lot of time reading the link provided in the first post, I'll opine that perhaps the artifacts are due to channel/camera/imaging dropout. IOW, some of the data are missing, hence the patterns seen.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Or what Rob said.

....must post faster....
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:08 pm

I think all that needs to be said is "Consider the source."
http://www.google.com/search?q=J+P+Skipper :roll:

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:09 pm

Beat you by a beak.

Rob

Evenstar
Ensign

Post by Evenstar » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:03 am

I was expecting/suspecting these results--and I'm just as glad it goes this way. The other way would have been so much more complicated--to actually have a Mars civilization. :) Thank you.

I was thinking of posting this link back to my friend but it would serve no purpose. He is set in his ways and we are set in ours. It is something hopeless about the human race I think.

swainy

Post by swainy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:26 am

Evenstar wrote:I was thinking of posting this link back to my friend but it would serve no purpose. He is set in his ways and we are set in ours. It is something hopeless about the human race I think.
No, watch this space. Keep Watching!

tc

Evenstar
Ensign

Post by Evenstar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:09 am

This is a final and last followup after discovering I was still tracking the thread but I have not been very active here for years now. Just wanted to say that as a result of my friends beliefs in conspiracies going much beyond any concerning Mars but including many on Earth we are no longer friends or speak to each other. In fact I do not even know of his whereabouts. I find that very sad to have ended a 30 year friendship this way.
<Evenstar>