APOD: Eclipse on the Beach (2010 Jul 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Eclipse on the Beach (2010 Jul 30)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:04 am

Image Eclipse on the Beach

Explanation: As the New Moon's shadow slid across the southern Pacific on July 11, people gathered along the white, sandy Anakena Beach on the north side of Easter Island to watch a total solar eclipse. The experience was captured in this tantalizing composite image, constructed from a sequence of 50 consecutive exposures. At their center is the totally eclipsed Sun surrounded by a shimmering solar corona. From the well chosen viewpoint, palm trees appear in silhouette against a darkened sky and the faint light reflected in the water. Of course, towering above the onlookers, at the boundaries of land, ocean, and sky are Moai, the island's mysterious monolithic statues.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

León
Science Officer
AKA: Levon

Re: APOD: Eclipse on the Beach (2010 Jul 30)

Post by León » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:15 pm

In extremes of the image we have the Sun in its fullness and in the larger center. It is a remarkable phenomenon that makes gain size.

As for the moai have the particularity to be scanning the horizon, this time to be watching the eclipse and there image wins wealth.

Anakena is one of the few beaches where you can enjoy white sand, palm trees, turquoise waters and some moai.

All the people appointed to the beach for "Anakena" but really that's the name of a cave close to the place where King lived Hotu Matu `a when he first came to Rapa Nui. The correct name of the spectacular beach is "Hanga Roa Morie."

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm amazed that the photo turned out so dark considering that it was made from 50 consecutive exposures. I suppose that some very dark filters were used? :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:10 pm

orin stepanek wrote:I'm amazed that the photo turned out so dark considering that it was made from 50 consecutive exposures. I suppose that some very dark filters were used? :?
I expect the landscape lighting is provided only by the single image at totality. The rest would have been taken through something like an ND5 filter, meaning that for the exposure time required for the Sun, effectively no light at all would be recorded from the surroundings.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

hol3y
Asternaut

Post by hol3y » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:02 pm

How can I purchase a print of this photo?

Anyone know how?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: I expect the landscape lighting is provided only by the single image at totality. The rest would have been taken through something like an ND5 filter, meaning that for the exposure time required for the Sun, effectively no light at all would be recorded from the surroundings.
Thanks Chris; That makes sense!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BPCooper

Post by BPCooper » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:22 pm

The foreground in this photo appears to be just outside but not during totality, as there are shadows. Whereas the sky appears to be during totality. It's a pretty photo, would like to know the specs. I did a similar shot in 2008. You have to have a filter over the camera during the partial phases and no foreground or sky is recorded during that time.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:15 am

BPCooper wrote:The foreground in this photo appears to be just outside but not during totality, as there are shadows. Whereas the sky appears to be during totality. It's a pretty photo, would like to know the specs. I did a similar shot in 2008. You have to have a filter over the camera during the partial phases and no foreground or sky is recorded during that time.
No sky?? How do you get all those sun images if you do not record the sky???
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:03 am

BPCooper wrote:The foreground in this photo appears to be just outside but not during totality, as there are shadows. Whereas the sky appears to be during totality. It's a pretty photo, would like to know the specs. I did a similar shot in 2008. You have to have a filter over the camera during the partial phases and no foreground or sky is recorded during that time.
I can assure you that the corona at totality produces enough light to cast shadows that would be caught in an image like this. At least, that's the case for for the three total solar eclipses I've witnessed. It's not as dark as you might think during totality.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Post by mexhunter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:05 am

Hi to all:
It seems to me that is a composite image, which does not take away any merit.
On the other hand is a picture of celestial phenomena and human circumstances.
Regards
Cesar
I come to learn and to have fun.

BPCooper

Post by BPCooper » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:09 am

Yea, I think it's a great image even if it is a composite...I'm just curious how the final image was produced. I've been to two so far, one cloudy. The glare off the ocean and shadows to me suggest a small portion of the sun was showing at the time of exposure of the foreground but not the sky, like the diamond ring. My eclipse experience was that it's like twilight at totality but no shadows during.

http://www.launchphotography.com/Total_ ... _2008.html

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:29 am

BPCooper wrote:Yea, I think it's a great image even if it is a composite...I'm just curious how the final image was produced.
I've made a shot like this. I used a white light solar filter for the images before and after totality. That blocks something like 99.999% of the light; solar exposures through the filter are a few hundredths of a second, and nothing shows up in the image except the solar disc against a black sky. The shot at totality is unfiltered, and is exposed for a bit longer- up to a second for a bright corona, maybe less with a higher ISO setting (note that the palm trees in this image are slightly motion blurred- it wasn't a real short exposure). In any case, the scene is similarly lit to a moonlit night, so shadows are quite apparent. Stack the shots on Lightened layers in Photoshop, and you get an image just like this APOD.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory