Recent Submissions: 2010 June 10-13

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Recent Submissions: 2010 June 10-13

Post by owlice » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Please click on each image for best viewing; please click on the link below the
image title for more information about the image. Thank you!

<- Previous submissions

Milky Way Skyscape
http://www.miguelclaro.com
Copyright: Miguel Claro
[/url]

NGC 1275
Copyright and processing: Danny Lee Russell; image: Hubble Legacy Archives, ESA, NASA
HLA_ESA_NGC1275_DLR_100610_Russell.jpg
HLA_ESA_NGC1275_DLR_100610_Russell.jpg (193.13 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Recent Submissions: 2010 June 10-13

Post by owlice » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:52 am

Hayabusa Re-Entry MAC First-light Image
http://airborne.seti.org/hayabusa/
Photo credit: Ron Dantowitz (Clay Center Observatory at Dexter and Southfield Schools), and Erin Leidy and Peter Jenniskens (SETI Institute).

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:48 pm

owlice wrote:Hayabusa Re-Entry MAC First-light Image
http://airborne.seti.org/hayabusa/
Photo credit: Ron Dantowitz (Clay Center Observatory at Dexter and Southfield Schools), and Erin Leidy and Peter Jenniskens (SETI Institute).
http://airborne.seti.org/hayabusa/images/firstlight.jpg
The title is a little misleading. Hayabusa is nowhere to be seen. I wonder what all those streaks are.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:44 pm

The re-entry is tomorrow morning; this is the first-light image for the imaging equipment.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:52 pm

NGC 3372: The Great Carina Nebula
http://astrosurf.com/emilio/pages/12Gra ... _total.htm
Copyright: Emilio Rivero
12GrandeCarina_final_total_Rivero_55.jpg
12GrandeCarina_final_total_Rivero_55.jpg (253.05 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
[/url]

IC2948: The Running Chicken Nebula
http://astrosurf.com/emilio/pages/12Pol ... _total.htm
Copyright: Emilio Rivero
12Pollo_final_AP_Rivero_55.jpg
12Pollo_final_AP_Rivero_55.jpg (173.53 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
[/url]

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Hmmm, got to earn some points here, or some posts, I mean. I'm still Chekov instead of Spock, and I don't like it much. So, which of the new submissions do I like best? That's easy - it's got to be the Milky Way and its ghostly, ghostly illumination of the Earthly landscape below. Imagine that it takes billions of stars to illuminate the stony-grassy ground of the Earth that faintly! By the way, do you realize that this Earthly landscape could almost have been a patch of a rock-strewn desert on Mars, minus the grass? And those old ruins of man-made castles or forts, if that is what they are, don't fit in either. But anyway - talk about this being an image of the Earth as a part of the universe!

(Although the stars near Baade's window in the brightest part of the Milky Way look too blue here. Wouldn't you know I'd point it out to you?)

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:02 pm

And now I'll get myself another post. :D I like the Carina Nebula too, although what I like best about it is the blue, blue cluster on the lower right. The cluster is the compact and massive NGC 3293, made up mostly by hot bright blue stars, although it contains and least one red supergiant too and one lesser red giant. Here is a closeup of NGC 3293, courtesy of Robert Gendler:

The red supergiant is on the upper left of the cluster, with the lesser red giant still further to the upper left. Note the piled-up gas glowing red from hydrogen emission to the lower left of the cluster. Also note the blue reflection nebulosity between the cluster and the red "wall" of emission nebulosity.

Anyway, this is a very pretty and also an impressive cluster, if you ask me!

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:24 pm

What I see:
12GrandeCarina_final_total_Rivero_smaller.jpg
12GrandeCarina_final_total_Rivero_smaller.jpg (135.71 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
(He's rubbing his left eye with.... ummm.... his hoof, perhaps? :shock: )

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Looks like Chewbacca.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:26 pm

:: falls over laughing! ::

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:53 pm

NGC 660: Polar Ring Galaxy in Pisces
http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/NGC6 ... ndler.html
Copyright and processing: Rob Gendler; image credit: NASA/ESA/HLA, STScI/NASA, ST-ECF/ESA, CADC/NRC/CSA

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Try as I might I can't see what portion this more detailed image is of the Dec03/09 APOD. I'm also not quite sure why a polar ring galaxy image wouldn't include the, um, polar ring.

Rob

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Mediterranean Sunrise
Copyright: Jean-Marc Audrin
anneau soleil aube JMA.jpg
Click to view larger image

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Milky Way from Light Pollution to the Dark Sky
Copyright: Arman Golestaneh
Milky way,Golestaneh.jpg
Click to view larger image

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:09 am

Rob wrote:
Try as I might I can't see what portion this more detailed image is of the Dec03/09 APOD. I'm also not quite sure why a polar ring galaxy image wouldn't include the, um, polar ring.
Well, this is why the Hubble's tiny field of view is a problem. In the wide-field image by Immo Gerber and Dietmar Hager, we see the entire galaxy and a big wide field around it. In their image, we can see that the galaxy seems to consist of an oblong yellow "bar" or a flat yellow disk seen from the side, plus a blue polar ring which is seen at an angle to the yellow bar or disk. The Hubble image, unfortunately, has such a narrow field of view that it doesn't show us the whole galaxy, and the polar ring is frankly lost. Sorry!

Take a look at the Immo Gerber and Dietmar Hager image again. You can see that the galaxy has two dust lanes that cross one another to form an "X" shape. I think the Hubble image covers just the part of the galaxy where the "two legs of the X" are closest together, in the "extreme right part of the X of the Gerber and Hager image", if you get what I mean.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong about this, too. Oh well.

Owlice, I love you "Chewbacca" take on the Carina Nebula!

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:27 am

Ann, there's a face in the Running Chicken Nebula, too. Can you see it? Can anyone else? Or should I have my head examined? :shock:

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:31 am

Thanks Ann. I have the other image locally. I took the one above and shrunk it down, and then cropped and expanded the other image. Then I rotated the other one full circle, and flipped it and rotated it again full circle, and I still couldn't get anything to line up. Probably I'm still looking at it at the wrong scale for a reasonable comparison. And the quite different exposures don't help. I'll keep trying. ;-)

Rob

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:03 am

I'm with you, Rob. I can't see any connection, either. I don't think they are pictures of the same nebula. I'm wondering about Gendler's designation.

Owlice, I can see many faces in the Running Chicken (and no running chickens). But I suppose you are referring to the largest one with the goofy smile at the bottom.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:54 am

I can see a large face with a goofy smile, too.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:22 am

Bystander said:
I'm with you, Rob. I can't see any connection, either. I don't think they are pictures of the same nebula. I'm wondering about Gendler's designation.
I beg to differ. I think they are the same.

Here you can see the problem with different color balances. The Gerber-Hager image is more yellow and more blue than Gendler's Hubble image. Gerber and Hager made a large part of the galaxy look yellow, but Gendler and Hubble only made a small part close to the nucleus look yellow. If you imagine that most of the "galactic body" in Gendler's image is actually yellow, rather than bluish as it looks here, then you can see that his picture probably shows the same galaxy as Gerber and Hager's image does.

Look at Gerber and Hager's image again. Look at the largest size of it. Turn it around, so that "up" becomes "down". Now you can see that the brightest part of the "yellow body" of the galaxy, the area around the nucleus, is above the thinnest-looking dust lane. This is the yellow nuclear area that we see above the most obvious dust lane in Gendler's image.

Look at the very dark dust lane that seems to rise from the leftmost part of the star-forming dust lane in Gendler's image. You can see that there is quite a lot of star formation in the dust lane that crosses the nuclear area, particularly where the darkest dust lane (the "rising" one) cuts the other dust lane in Gendler's image. Now look at the Gerber and Hager image again. You can see that there is a very bright, small oblong patch just where the dust lanes cross at a steep angle. This is undoubtedly the starforming area that we see so much more clearly in Gendler's image.

In the Gerber and Hager image, you can see that there is some star formation in "the opposite part of the starforming dust lane", the part of it that is farthest away from the "rising dark dust lane". And there is some star formation in exactly that place in Gendler's image, too.

To me there is no doubt that Gendler's image shows the same galaxy as Gerber and Hager's image.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:49 am

By the way, since Gendler's (Hubble-based) image has a very different color balance than Gerber and Hager's image, which color balance is the best? In my opinion there can be no doubt that Gerber and Hager's color is better. I've said it before and I'm saying it again, the Hubble people can't do color even when they try. Seriously. I have yet to see a single "true-color" Hubble image of a galaxy where the color looks really good. There have been some that are okay. This one, the one that Gendler worked with, wasn't even okay. Obviously Gerber and Hager are right about the yellow color of the galaxy's old population disk!

Ann
Color Commentator

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Ann wrote:I've said it before and I'm saying it again, the Hubble people can't do color even when they try. Seriously. I have yet to see a single "true-color" Hubble image of a galaxy where the color looks really good.
You do realize that the Hubble is a science instrument first and foremost, and so there are few images taken through "visual light" (i.e., wideband red, green, and blue) filters for the purposes of making public outreach imagery. Thus most folks making imagery out of the datasets captured by the Hubble must try and coax something like color out of combinations of narrowband filter exposures that are all over the spectrum, and often outside the visible spectrum.

It's harder than you think. Try it some time.

By the way, my understanding is that Mr. Gendler's primary goal is to create pretty pictures. Thus there is "art" involved (and no, I'm not talking about you Neufer).

-Noel