Poll: Recent Submissions #19 - SpaceX, Galaxy, Light, Nebula

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.

Which image would make the best APOD? (Please vote only once.)

Poll ended at Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:18 pm

SpaceX Falcon 9 First Flight
17%
Milky Way Panoramic View - 200 Degrees
56%
Ring of Fire over the North Sea
17%
North America Nebula in Narrowband
11%

Total votes: 18

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Poll: Recent Submissions #19 - SpaceX, Galaxy, Light, Nebula

Post by owlice » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:18 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________

Please click on each image for best viewing of these images.

Please vote (once only) for the image you think would make the best APOD.
Thank you for your cooperation!

_________________________________________________________________________________

<- Poll: Recent Submissions #18

SpaceX Falcon 9 First Flight
http://www.launchphotography.com/Falcon_9.html
Copyright: Ben Cooper/SpaceflightNow.com

Milky Way Panoramic View - 200 Degrees
Copyright: Jens Hackmann
mw0506_Hackman_33.jpg
mw0506_Hackman_33.jpg (167.93 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Ring of Fire over the North Sea
Copyright: Stephan Heinsius
stripe of Light_Heinsius.jpg
stripe of Light_Heinsius.jpg (79.2 KiB) Viewed 372 times

North America Nebula in Narrowband
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/11496571 ... cn7m-X3-LB
Copyright: Malcolm Park
NGC7000_Ha_mp.jpg
NGC7000_Ha_mp.jpg (187.28 KiB) Viewed 368 times
[/url]
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

kopfgeist
Asternaut

Re: Poll: Recent Submissions #19 - SpaceX, Galaxy, Light, Ne

Post by kopfgeist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:32 am

Hello,

I feel honoured that one of my images is discussed here. Owlice wrote me an eMail and asked if I want to tell some words about the idea and the creation of this image. So I do now :)

I always am fascinated by the diffuse band of milky way in northern summer months. I love the warm summer nights, sitting in the fields and gazing at the stars, only armed with some binoculars. Listening to the nightingale makes this even better than observing and photographing faint deepsky objects through a telescope. At least once in a season I try to capture the milky way. My goal is to freeze the moment with a terrestric motive in the foreground. So I decided to capture the milky way with the Weikersheim observatory, where I use to observe the skies. Weikersheim is a small town (7500 citizens) in southern Germany. it is settled right next to my hometown, Bad Mergentheim. In dark and clear nights, we have a fst 6.5m sky here or darker.

I've chosen a fisheye lens with 15 mm focal length in combination with a 1.3-crop dSLR. I fixed it on a mobile mount, a GP/E which I set in a crop field next to the observatory. The camera settings were:
2 Minutes exposure time at f= 15 mm and f/3.5 at an iso speed of 800. I thought that the entire sky and mood could not have been captured in one single image, I wanted to catch it all. So I've taken nine images with the intention to stitch it together to a big panoramic view.

During the exposure I thought Murphy was dead, because only one airplane flew through my field of view. Even a meteor stroke towards horizon, you can see it right above the observatory. I guess that its brightness was about -2 magnitudes.

After taking the nine images with 2 minutes time each I went home. I feeded the software with the image files and let my computer calculate the panorama the whole nights.

The result at the next morning was a 22.000 x 5.000 pixel image. I had to increase saturation and contrast and darken the background and that was it all. I scaled the image down and shared it to the world. Many people liked it and that's my biggest goal: to share my lovely moments below starry skies with other people around the world.

I hope you like the image and my short story.
Best wishes from Germany and clear skies!

Jens Hackmann
http://www.kopfgeist.com

kopfgeist
Asternaut

Re: Poll: Recent Submissions #19 - SpaceX, Galaxy, Light, Ne

Post by kopfgeist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:02 pm

PS: here's a bigger version of the milky way panorama:
http://www.kopfgeist.com/kram/mw0506.jpg

Best wishes,

Jens