Hawking: Beware the Alien Menace!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
jacklap
Ensign

Re: Hawking: Beware the Alien Menace!

Post by jacklap » Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 am

Also to me, civilization implies social structure and communication. But let me clarify that a technologically advanced race would likely have made significant gains in extending their longevity artificially, just as we have. Of all the gains we've made in technology, communicating and longevity, I think having a longer life span has had a synergistic effect on the other two. But will this synergism continue forever? I can visualize an S shaped curve on a XY plot where the vertical axis is a combined factor of technology, volubility and longevity and the horizontal is homo sapiens time on earth. Seems reasonable to me to place us currently towards the beginning of the rise in this S curve. My hypothesis indicates that a some future point we may become sufficiently long lived and technologically advanced that the need to communicate both internally and externally begins to decrease. After all don't most, if not all, forms of communication expend energy? Perhaps future humans and presummably an advanced alien civilization would view communicating in terms of energy expended. Why expend the energy to communicate if there's no benefit? An uncommunicative advanced alien civilization is a pragmatic alien civilization and probably long lived, too. I've expended my quota of voluble energy for the night.

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Thu May 06, 2010 1:14 pm

jacklap wrote:Also to me, civilization implies social structure and communication. But let me clarify that a technologically advanced race would likely have made significant gains in extending their longevity artificially, just as we have. Of all the gains we've made in technology, communicating and longevity, I think having a longer life span has had a synergistic effect on the other two. But will this synergism continue forever? I can visualize an S shaped curve on a XY plot where the vertical axis is a combined factor of technology, volubility and longevity and the horizontal is homo sapiens time on earth. Seems reasonable to me to place us currently towards the beginning of the rise in this S curve. My hypothesis indicates that a some future point we may become sufficiently long lived and technologically advanced that the need to communicate both internally and externally begins to decrease. After all don't most, if not all, forms of communication expend energy? Perhaps future humans and presummably an advanced alien civilization would view communicating in terms of energy expended. Why expend the energy to communicate if there's no benefit? An uncommunicative advanced alien civilization is a pragmatic alien civilization and probably long lived, too. I've expended my quota of voluble energy for the night.

So we are assuming that any intelligent beings outwith earth have been there and done what earthlings have done plus more. So lets look at our society. We live in an ever ageing world, where people are living longer due to the food we eat, the healthcare we recieve and the science which goes into making such healthcare better. If we ever find a cure for aids or cancer, never mind them both, the world will become vastly over aged.

Then we have advances in stem cell research and cloning and designer babies. We assume that far advanced alien races have come across this aswell. So i would Imagine that alien races are full of genetically created creatures in order to fend off the ageing of the population.

Plus, if we imagine that an alien race is so far advanced and that this has taken some amount of time, maybe millions of years. What if they had to move due to a dying star and right now there is a race of aliens travelling the world looking for a place to live, in a similar fashion to that of District 9 only they are not starving, they are homeless.

Theres countless reasonings.

Maybe every race born with similar intelligence to our own has a capacity for destruction which see's them destroy their planet through global warming causing their own extinction, maybe every race born with similar intelligence to our own has blown each other up causing their own extinction. Or what if every other race born with similar intelligence to our own lives their life on their planet, whilst visiting the solar system, but never EVER gains the knowledge or science to escape the impending doom of a supernova from their parent star? its a sad outlook, but an outlook all the same. Maybe we haven't came across aliens because they cannot come across us.

Paul
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

jacklap
Ensign

Post by jacklap » Fri May 07, 2010 2:23 am

Some comments, wonderboy, after reading your delightful post. I have supported SETI and its goals for a long time and I'd be thrilled if they could detect a proven alien signal. I've also read with interest Stephen Hawking's warning, "Beware the Alien Menace!". His points are reasonable, however, personally I think the potential benefits from communicating with another alien civilization outweigh the potential risks.

I am puzzled, however, why we haven't heard that proven ET signal yet. The simplest explanation is likely the best explanation. It's a very, very, very big universe and we've only looked at a small fraction so far. But there could be other additional reasons. One might be, as I so clumsily was trying to explain my thinking, that as a civilization becomes more technologically advanced over time and their life span increases, they might reach a peak in how communicative they are. I think there is such a phenomenon cumulatively called "information overload" and presumably this civilization will have developed advanced tools to deal with it, as we will have to at some point. The possible effect might lead to a "quieter" civilization, meaning one with a sharply reduced radiative signature. This would make SETI's job a lot harder than it already is.

Of course the positive side of this is that the signal (or radiative signature) that SETI will likely detect one day would arguably come from an alien civilization at roughly our own level of technology. They want to heard just like we do, fools that they are! However, I am optimistic about the human race in the long run. We have taken our lumps before and will again, but I think we'll be around to communicate with them, fools that we are (according to Hawking).

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri May 07, 2010 3:09 am

Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri May 07, 2010 4:22 am

Stephen Hawking's Time Machine
Discovery News - 06 May 2010
In an article in the Daily Mail this week, British cosmologist Stephen Hawking outlined not one, but three, theoretically realistic ideas for traveling through time, one of which he says is even practical.
STEPHEN HAWKING: How to build a time machine
Daily Mail - 03 May 2010
All you need is a wormhole, the Large Hadron Collider or a rocket that goes really, really fast

Hello. My name is Stephen Hawking. Physicist, cosmologist and something of a dreamer. Although I cannot move and I have to speak through a computer, in my mind I am free. Free to explore the universe and ask the big questions, such as: is time travel possible? Can we open a portal to the past or find a shortcut to the future? Can we ultimately use the laws of nature to become masters of time itself?

Time travel was once considered scientific heresy. I used to avoid talking about it for fear of being labelled a crank. But these days I'm not so cautious. In fact, I'm more like the people who built Stonehenge. I'm obsessed by time. If I had a time machine I'd visit Marilyn Monroe in her prime or drop in on Galileo as he turned his telescope to the heavens. Perhaps I'd even travel to the end of the universe to find out how our whole cosmic story ends.
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... -an-a-hole

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri May 07, 2010 11:36 am

Stephen Hawking wrote:If I had a time machine I'd visit Marilyn Monroe in her prime...
Mrs. Norma Jeane Dougherty (in her prime),
Yank Magazine, 1945
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri May 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Why We Don’t Need to Worry About Space Invaders
Discovery News - 07 May 2010

Ray Villard wrote: Here are my top five reasons why an intelligent alien species will never invade our planet:
  • 5. Nobody Knows We're Here

As my colleague Ian O’Neill pointed out in an earlier article, electromagnetic waves from telecommunications leaking off the Earth have now expanded out to a radius of merely 100 light years. This volume encompasses over 2000 stars, roughly 200 of which are sun-like. But it covers a feeble one ten-millionth the volume of the Galaxy. Even by very optimistic estimates from the Drake Equation, the nearest super-civilization is well over 1,000 light-years away. And. they won't know about us, if they can detect a signal at all, until after 3000 A.D.

4. An Unlikely Time Intersection

If you were walking along the Appalachian Trail, what are the odds the first person you came across was your same age and was born a day before you? Though the nearest inhabited planet could be only 30 light-years away it is equally unlikely that anyone living there they just happen to be close to us in technological evolution (say by a few centuries or even a millennium). The Galaxy is very old. Therefore it’s more probable that there are intelligent species that are 10,000, 1 million or even 10 million years more advanced than us. Perhaps they abandoned the plodding vagaries of biological evolution eons ago to engineer a new form of existence, one likely to be practically immortal. Therefore, we have as much in common with them as an amoeba has with us.

3. No Need for Our Resources

Even if we consider there might be civilizations closer to us in evolution, there is absolutely nothing on Earth they need. The stars and planets are made from the same chemical bricks and mortar. There is nothing so exotic as unobtanium, a plot contrivance of the film "Avatar." Transporting any cargo between the stars is infinitely more complex and expensive that simply fabricating whatever you need at home.

Equally implausible is the notion that an extraterrestrial race would want to colonize Earth. First they'd have to clear us out and then clean up our pollution mess and rework the entire biosphere to accommodate them. That's a lot of work to foreclose on an 8,000 mile diameter ball of molten iron and rock. And, the idea of a space ark carrying a boatload of colonists here, is a quaint 18th century notion. It would be vastly cheaper to undertake a long-term program of terraforming their own planetary system. This would include building huge structures in space such as a Dyson sphere or a star-girdling "ringworld" as envisioned in the 1970 Larry Niven sci-fi story of the same name.

In Damon Knight’s 1950 short story "To Serve Man" aliens befriend us only to eat us. If aliens think humans are a rare and tasty delicacy, they can easily replicate our taste -- or DNA -- artificially. Old science fiction movies fantasized about aliens wanting our Earth women (like the 1959 "Teenagers From Outer Space"). But the infinite pathways in evolution virtually guarantee that any remotely humanoid extraterrestrials would be very unlikely. So the idea of any cross species romance (as described in some UFO tall-tales) is beyond the impossible.

2. No Cultural Imperative

Altruistic aliens? Forget it. We'd get about as much altruism from an ant colony. As H.G. Wells wrote in his 1898 novel, "War of the Worlds," I’d expect their intellects to be "vast, cool, and unsympathetic." But what about being malevolent too? Anything smart enough to build starships cannot be pathological, even if they are descended from carnivores as Michio Kaku predicts in the Discovery Channel documentary "Alien Planet." My colleague, radio astronomer Eric Chaisson, has written at length that only "ethical" civilizations avoid destroying themselves.

One might imagine a culture where mysticism and ritual encourage subjugating entire planets in a missionary conquest of the Galaxy. But religious zealotry would also get in the way of the rationality and therefore scientific advancement. This is a prerequisite for having the technical smarts to achieve interstellar travel. Carl Sagan once mused that, if not for the superstitious Dark Ages, we'd be flying to the stars today.

1. God's Quarantine

The distances between stars is so unimaginably vast it cannot be crossed by beings of flesh and blood -- and certainly not entire armies. Artificial life could do it, but such entities would be indifferent to us.

This was parodied is a piece written by sci-fi author Terry Bison in Omni Magazine, where two non-biological aliens receive a signal from Earth:
    • Excerpt:

"They [humans] use the radio waves to talk, but the signals don't come from them. The signals come from machines."

"So who made the machines? That's who we want to contact."

"They made the machines. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Meat made the machines."

"That's ridiculous. How can meat make a machine? You're asking me to believe in sentient meat."

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. These creatures are the only sentient race in the sector and they're made out of meat."

"It seems harsh, but there is a limit. Do we really want to make contact with meat?"

"I agree one hundred percent. What's there to say?" 'Hello, meat. How's it going?'

"Cruel. But you said it yourself, who wants to meet meat?”
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WudBfRa0 ... r_embedded[/youtube]

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri May 07, 2010 6:54 pm

bystander wrote:
Ray Villard wrote:"That's ridiculous. How can meat make a machine? You're asking me to believe in sentient meat."

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. These creatures are the only sentient race in the sector and they're made out of meat."

"It seems harsh, but there is a limit. Do we really want to make contact with meat?"

"I agree one hundred percent. What's there to say?" 'Hello, meat. How's it going?'
Oh man, I remember reading this full length. The idea behind the script was interesting to me at the time.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri May 07, 2010 7:23 pm

Ray Villard wrote:In Damon Knight’s 1950 short story "To Serve Man" aliens befriend us only to eat us.
If aliens think humans are a rare and tasty delicacy, they can easily replicate our taste -- or DNA -- artificially.
[list]A mind is a terrible thing to taste.[/list][list]*TO SERVE MAN*
*MASTER OVEN*[/list]
  • Serve, v. t. [OE. serven, servien, OF. & F. servir, fr. L. servire; akin to servus a servant or slave,
    servare to protect, preserve, observe; Cf. Desert, Dessert.]

1. To work for; to labor in behalf of; to exert one's self continuously or statedly for the benefit of; to do service for; to be in the employment of, as an inferior, domestic, serf, slave, hired assistant, official helper, etc.; specifically, in a religious sense, to obey and worship.

"Had I but served my God with half the zeal I served my king, he would not in mine age Have left me naked to mine enemies."
    - Shak.

5. Hence, to bring forward, arrange, deal, or distribute, as a portion of anything, especially of food prepared for eating; -- often with up; formerly with in.

"Bid them cover the table, serve in the meat, and we will come in to dinner."
    - Shak.

Desert, n. [OF. deserte, desserte, merit, recompense, fr. deservir, desservir, to merit.] That which is deserved; the reward or the punishment justly due; claim to recompense, usually in a good sense; right to reward; merit.

Dessert, n. [F., fr. desservir to remove from table, to clear the table; pref. des- (L. dis-) + servir to serve, to serve at table.] A service of pastry, fruits, or sweetmeats, at the close of a feast or entertainment; pastry, fruits, etc., forming the last course at dinner.
Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Sun May 09, 2010 11:57 am

bystander wrote:Why We Don’t Need to Worry About Space Invaders
Discovery News - 07 May 2010

Ray Villard wrote: Here are my top five reasons why an intelligent alien species will never invade our planet:
  • 5. Nobody Knows We're Here

As my colleague Ian O’Neill pointed out in an earlier article, electromagnetic waves from telecommunications leaking off the Earth have now expanded out to a radius of merely 100 light years. This volume encompasses over 2000 stars, roughly 200 of which are sun-like. But it covers a feeble one ten-millionth the volume of the Galaxy. Even by very optimistic estimates from the Drake Equation, the nearest super-civilization is well over 1,000 light-years away. And. they won't know about us, if they can detect a signal at all, until after 3000 A.D.

4. An Unlikely Time Intersection

If you were walking along the Appalachian Trail, what are the odds the first person you came across was your same age and was born a day before you? Though the nearest inhabited planet could be only 30 light-years away it is equally unlikely that anyone living there they just happen to be close to us in technological evolution (say by a few centuries or even a millennium). The Galaxy is very old. Therefore it’s more probable that there are intelligent species that are 10,000, 1 million or even 10 million years more advanced than us. Perhaps they abandoned the plodding vagaries of biological evolution eons ago to engineer a new form of existence, one likely to be practically immortal. Therefore, we have as much in common with them as an amoeba has with us.

3. No Need for Our Resources

Even if we consider there might be civilizations closer to us in evolution, there is absolutely nothing on Earth they need. The stars and planets are made from the same chemical bricks and mortar. There is nothing so exotic as unobtanium, a plot contrivance of the film "Avatar." Transporting any cargo between the stars is infinitely more complex and expensive that simply fabricating whatever you need at home.

Equally implausible is the notion that an extraterrestrial race would want to colonize Earth. First they'd have to clear us out and then clean up our pollution mess and rework the entire biosphere to accommodate them. That's a lot of work to foreclose on an 8,000 mile diameter ball of molten iron and rock. And, the idea of a space ark carrying a boatload of colonists here, is a quaint 18th century notion. It would be vastly cheaper to undertake a long-term program of terraforming their own planetary system. This would include building huge structures in space such as a Dyson sphere or a star-girdling "ringworld" as envisioned in the 1970 Larry Niven sci-fi story of the same name.

In Damon Knight’s 1950 short story "To Serve Man" aliens befriend us only to eat us. If aliens think humans are a rare and tasty delicacy, they can easily replicate our taste -- or DNA -- artificially. Old science fiction movies fantasized about aliens wanting our Earth women (like the 1959 "Teenagers From Outer Space"). But the infinite pathways in evolution virtually guarantee that any remotely humanoid extraterrestrials would be very unlikely. So the idea of any cross species romance (as described in some UFO tall-tales) is beyond the impossible.

2. No Cultural Imperative

Altruistic aliens? Forget it. We'd get about as much altruism from an ant colony. As H.G. Wells wrote in his 1898 novel, "War of the Worlds," I’d expect their intellects to be "vast, cool, and unsympathetic." But what about being malevolent too? Anything smart enough to build starships cannot be pathological, even if they are descended from carnivores as Michio Kaku predicts in the Discovery Channel documentary "Alien Planet." My colleague, radio astronomer Eric Chaisson, has written at length that only "ethical" civilizations avoid destroying themselves.

One might imagine a culture where mysticism and ritual encourage subjugating entire planets in a missionary conquest of the Galaxy. But religious zealotry would also get in the way of the rationality and therefore scientific advancement. This is a prerequisite for having the technical smarts to achieve interstellar travel. Carl Sagan once mused that, if not for the superstitious Dark Ages, we'd be flying to the stars today.

1. God's Quarantine

The distances between stars is so unimaginably vast it cannot be crossed by beings of flesh and blood -- and certainly not entire armies. Artificial life could do it, but such entities would be indifferent to us.

This was parodied is a piece written by sci-fi author Terry Bison in Omni Magazine, where two non-biological aliens receive a signal from Earth:
    • Excerpt:

"They [humans] use the radio waves to talk, but the signals don't come from them. The signals come from machines."

"So who made the machines? That's who we want to contact."

"They made the machines. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Meat made the machines."

"That's ridiculous. How can meat make a machine? You're asking me to believe in sentient meat."

"Cruel. But you said it yourself, who wants to meet meat?”
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WudBfRa0 ... r_embedded[/youtube]

You make some good points bystander.

However, why do we want to find life?

We know we cannot reach them, unless the beings send us plans for a wormhole creator like in the movie contact.

The reason we want to know if there is life out there is so we can say we are not alone. Individuals do not like to be alone, therfore it is just
to say that whole races do not like to know they are alone.

Alien races may not want to find us to colonise us and terraform our planet, they may want to eat us, but I guarantee that if there are alien races out
there right now, they are searching for life for the same reasons we are unless they found them already and ate them.

Paul
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun May 09, 2010 11:24 pm

bystander wrote:Image
...Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me... Slim Whitman!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Making aien heads assplode since 1924.

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Mon May 10, 2010 9:47 am

After reading this through it gets me thinking about one of my earlier posts http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 23&t=18951.

Basically (If you didn't click it) I'm saying that the Earth may be some sort of zoo. I believe that the UFO's sighted above and within our atmosphere are very real but maybe not here for the reasons you think.

Now I look around, and I see Asians, Indians, White people, black people and so on and so forth all equals on this fine planet, but undoubtedly different. What if the god that placed "Adam and Eve" (or whoever they were) on earth was an alien race who saved OUR subsequent races and placed them on our planet to preserve us as we were either on dying planets or destroying our own planet.

These aliens that come to visit US are here on excursions to see the stupid humanoids who wrecked their own planets. Maybe UFO abductions are a tag and release program ran by alien races etc.

It makes sense, but in the same breath it does not. My point is, that maybe in our search for life we have been ignorant to the fact that life has already found us.

Look at Egyptian Heiroglyphics, they contain images of what can only be described as UFO's "flying saucers." They also mention that their Gods came from the heavens, this has been classed as imagery but what if it was not and they were real aliens who helped us start one of the greatest civilisations of the early parts of our history.

It just seems strange aswell that we popped out of nowhere. we can trace our history so far back, then we hit a dead end. Did we just arrive here one day? maybe we we're a primitive race of monkey like creatures who evolved in line with Darwins theory of evolution, but were we placed here by aliens who watched over us and cultivated us into what we are today? To me it seems plausible to others it may not.

My main point is that maybe we don't need to search for life millions of miles away as there may be evidence of it here on earth whenever we look up and see something unidentifiable.

Paul.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 10, 2010 2:05 pm

wonderboy wrote:Basically (If you didn't click it) I'm saying that the Earth may be some sort of zoo. I believe that the UFO's sighted above and within our atmosphere are very real but maybe not here for the reasons you think.
I think the flaw in this reasoning is that no UFOs have been sighted that might remotely be considered alien visitors, and no historic records exist suggesting we have ever been visited. Also, there is good physical evidence that we are not being visited by alien spacecraft, since we are perfectly capable of detecting the energies and radiation high speed objects would produce in space (and I am deliberately ignoring the possibility of faster than light travel, because I think that is almost certainly impossible).
It just seems strange as well that we popped out of nowhere. we can trace our history so far back, then we hit a dead end.
It seems to me that we can trace our history just fine. When we look at the paleontological evidence, we can trace our development clear back to our ancestral species (and theirs, as well). When we look at the archaeological evidence, we can trace our culture back well before historical records existed. And when we look at those historical records, we can trace them back to the time when record keeping methods were invented. In other words, what we see of our own existence is exactly what we should reasonably expect.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon May 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Maybe we do not detect them because they mess with our brains :) Forgotten style.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Mon May 10, 2010 6:17 pm

wonderboy wrote:Basically (If you didn't click it) I'm saying that the Earth may be some sort of zoo. I believe that the UFO's sighted above and within our atmosphere are very real but maybe not here for the reasons you think.

Now I look around, and I see Asians, Indians, White people, black people and so on and so forth all equals on this fine planet, but undoubtedly different. What if the god that placed "Adam and Eve" (or whoever they were) on earth was an alien race who saved OUR subsequent races and placed them on our planet to preserve us as we were either on dying planets or destroying our own planet.

Why stop there? Why not say, every creature that ever existed was a descendant of a genetically modified hybrid. That was specifically manufactured With encoded DNA for the sole purpose of Terra forming new planets. A creature that was designed to start off small, to what we see now. In short, the whole history of life on Earth, compacted into a little microbe. And in the DNA program, life is supposed to support other life. Life is designed to break off and form other creatures. In which case, everything has things to eat, and thrive. Also, maybe mankind was in the program, or another kind of intelligent form.

Who knows, There is a very strong possibility that other life does exist, if not in our solar system, in our galaxy. The chances of them getting here? I would say very slim. But then again, if you told the wright bothers that one day man would walk on the Moon. Or I could watch the Yankees play live from England, they would call me mad. The question I would like answered is, What will we, Mankind, be doing in another hundred or so years?

Mark
Last edited by The Code on Mon May 10, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always trying to find the answers

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon May 10, 2010 6:55 pm

mark swain wrote:Why not say, every creature that ever existed was... specifically manufactured With encoded DNA for the sole purpose of Terra forming new planets.
The question is, why terraform planets far, far away? Maybe they set up a mission to bring life everywhere in the Universe for no other reason but because it's more fun that way, but how likely is that?

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Mon May 10, 2010 7:45 pm

makc wrote: mark swain wrote:Why not say, every creature that ever existed was a descendant of a genetically modified hybrid. That was ... specifically manufactured With encoded DNA for the sole purpose of Terra forming new planets.

The question is, why terraform planets far, far away? Maybe they set up a mission to bring life everywhere in the Universe for no other reason but because it's more fun that way, but how likely is that?
Split a piece of wood, you will find me. Lift a rock, you will find me.

Why does the great oak shed a million seeds per one, successful offspring?

Why do I shed a million sp++m for one offspring?

If our sun was capable of Super Nova, what life forms would survive and get blasted out, to re-seed the galaxy? Is a "God" within? Or out there in the cosmos? Has not life, got past many extinction points in time? Was it not designed to do so?

Mark
Always trying to find the answers

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue May 11, 2010 1:36 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
It seems to me that we can trace our history just fine. When we LOOK at the paleontological evidence, we can trace our development clear back to our ancestral species (and theirs, as well). When we LOOK at the archaeological evidence, we can trace our culture back well before historical records existed. And when we LOOK at those historical records, we can trace them back to the time when record keeping methods were invented. In other words, what we SEE of our own existence is exactly what we should reasonably expect.
LOOKING back in time are we? :wink:
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 11, 2010 2:06 am

neufer wrote:LOOKING back in time are we? :wink:
Ha, ha. But really, we aren't. We are only seeing now, and we are using our knowledge of nature to extrapolate backwards. History would be so much easier if we could actually travel back and see places as they were at different times.

(Well, I think I might have demonstrated that ability, but I'm just speaking for most historians here...)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Tue May 11, 2010 7:52 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
I think the flaw in this reasoning is that no UFOs have been sighted that might remotely be considered alien visitors, and no historic records exist suggesting we have ever been visited. Also, there is good physical evidence that we are not being visited by alien spacecraft, since we are perfectly capable of detecting the energies and radiation high speed objects would produce in space (and I am deliberately ignoring the possibility of faster than light travel, because I think that is almost certainly impossible).
It just seems strange as well that we popped out of nowhere. we can trace our history so far back, then we hit a dead end.
It seems to me that we can trace our history just fine. When we look at the paleontological evidence, we can trace our development clear back to our ancestral species (and theirs, as well). When we look at the archaeological evidence, we can trace our culture back well before historical records existed. And when we look at those historical records, we can trace them back to the time when record keeping methods were invented. In other words, what we see of our own existence is exactly what we should reasonably expect.

http://www.ufoidentified.com/2009/06/eg ... ufo-event/

http://www.ufopictureblog.com/2007/Octo ... yphics.htm

http://www.catchpenny.org/abydos.html This is maybe an argument against my idea, however its good to see it from both sides.

This is just some of the stuff that can be found when googling ufos in heiroglyphics. Its interesting is all im saying, not necessarily true.

Paul.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue May 11, 2010 9:31 am

I seem to remember there was a rule against UFO sightings discussions ;) My interpretation is that discussing aliens somewhere far, far away is ok, but as soon as you say we have actually seen one here on Earth, mods call men in black to handle you.

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Tue May 11, 2010 10:05 am

No im not saying we have, I'm just giving historical evidence that states we need to look closer to home to see that there is life out there. My initial points can be seen above, but i added to the convo that earth may be like a zoo to visiting races, especially if they helped create our home world to be begin with, which these heiroglyphics may point towards.

Paul.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 11, 2010 1:34 pm

wonderboy wrote:This is just some of the stuff that can be found when googling ufos in heiroglyphics. Its interesting is all im saying, not necessarily true.
That's good. I don't even find those links interesting; there is nothing remotely suggestive of alien visitations there (unless you really want to believe).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Tue May 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
wonderboy wrote:This is just some of the stuff that can be found when googling ufos in heiroglyphics. Its interesting is all im saying, not necessarily true.
That's good. I don't even find those links interesting; there is nothing remotely suggestive of alien visitations there (unless you really want to believe).

Thats good. I kinda believe in it, but at the same time my head says not to.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:57 pm

wonderboy wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
wonderboy wrote:This is just some of the stuff that can be found when googling ufos
in heiroglyphics. Its interesting is all im saying, not necessarily true.
That's good. I don't even find those links interesting; there is nothing remotely
suggestive of alien visitations there (unless you really want to believe).
Thats good. I kinda believe in it, but at the same time my head says not to.
NoelC wrote:
There are absolutely confirmed, 100% credible sightings of UFOs, all over the
world, every day by completely trustworthy people.
I'd stake my life on it.

U - UNIDENTIFIED

Literally, UFO means "There's something flying up there, but I can't tell what it is."

There there are things like this nicely Photoshopped image designed
to make you BELIEVE (send in your credit card number now):

:D

-Noel