Potpourri Poll #1 (Vote for your favorite image!)

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.

Vote for the image you think would make the best APOD

Poll ended at Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:52 am

M47
2%
Dione and Titan Raw Image
39%
NGC 3324/Gabriela Mistral Nebula
19%
Venus-Mercury Conjunction
14%
NGC 4725
26%

Total votes: 1292

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Potpourri Poll #1 (Vote for your favorite image!)

Post by owlice » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:52 am

M47
http://www.schursastrophotography.com/xtiastro/m47.html
Copyright and credit: Chris Schur

Dione and Titan Raw Image, 04/07/10
http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002437/
Credit: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute

NGC 3324/Gabriela Mistral Nebula
http://www.fourthdimensionastroimaging.com/NGC3324.html
Copyright and credit: Steve Mazlin, Jack Harvey, Rick Gilbert, Daniel Verschatse, SSRO@PROMPT/UNC

Venus-Mercury Conjunction
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id ... 12&size=lg
Copyright: Guido Montañés Castillo

NGC 4725
http://www.caelumobservatory.com/gallery/n4725.shtml
Copyright: Adam Block
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

clyde brett

Re: Potpourri Poll #1 (Vote for your favorite image!)

Post by clyde brett » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Dione & Titan raw image

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:33 pm

clyde brett wrote:Dione & Titan raw image
That's kind of a misnomer. It is a processed image by Emily Lakdawalla from Cassini raw image data. You probably wouldn't be able to see the color in Titan in a raw image. See PIA12609: Before Hazy Titan

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Sorry! Yes, bystander is correct, of course. I'd had a raw image there, but put this one in its place and didn't change all the text. I cannot edit a poll without wiping out the existing votes, so won't edit this and hope everyone will excuse my lapse!

If anyone would care to share why he/she voted for a particular image, I'd be interested to know. Thanks!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:51 pm

I chose NGC 3324/Gabriela Mistral Nebula because I liked the color detail in this image.
For a little trivia, see: http://www.astrosurf.com/antilhue/NGC%203324.htm

antdak

Post by antdak » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:25 pm

I voted for the Venus/Mercury picture, because when I think of APOD, and NASA, I think of space viewable from Earth. I mean deep space is great to look at but with out all the telescopes in space we would never be able to see any of it. I think this picture brings it home for me. Gives a point of reference. Cause when a deep space picture says it is thousands of light years away, who knows exactly where that is? It is something we normal people will never be able to see. Pictures like this, at least we have a chance to see with our own eyes.

isaiah 40:26

Post by isaiah 40:26 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:41 pm

While images of distant galaxies, nebulae and star fields are cosmically beautiful, and earth land and seascapes with astronomical backdrops are breathtaking, there simply is no greater other-worldly experience than gazing close-up at other worlds. The image of Dione & Titan rocks my world.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Tough choices; these would all be among the better APOD pictures, IMHO.

I voted for Dione & Titan, because it's something I can relate to, yet you can probably teach me something in the text. Any day that I read APOD and don't learn something, I start my day feeling a little empty.

BTW, I'm glad it's not actually a raw image. I enjoy the beauty of astro pictures more when the colors are brought out. Some processing is good, as long as it's honest; i.e., openly stated, and doesn't create something that isn't there. Again, IMHO.

backrowbass
Asternaut

Post by backrowbass » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:33 pm

I went for M47. The others are good shots and all worthy candidates, but I like star clusters.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:44 pm

The image of Dione & Titan is the most dramatic from a composition standpoint. The contrast of the sharp, white moon versus the misty shape behind is very intriguing, visually and scientifically. I feel that in the past years, there's been more interesting science (at least that I can relate to) done on our solar system than on nebulae or galaxies. The picture is unique, and the caption should be interesting.

The galaxy shot (2nd favorite) is also dramatic (and well framed)--but I've seen lots of picts galaxies before. Ditto on the nebula. Mercury & Venus: the main feature is that it's a sunset shot. It's nice, but I'm more interested in space less in landscapes. The cluster blends in a bit to the background stars.

debbie v.

Post by debbie v. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Dion and Titan. Though the Venus/Mercury conjunction is lovely (my 2nd place vote), images of other bodies in our solar system are thrilling to see.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:40 pm

M47 -- very peaceful, yet mind-stretching at the same time. I often use it (or similar) as a desktop image. But when I want energy instead of peace, I switch to a wild and crazy galaxy, like NGC 4725.

Rob

Keigocan
Asternaut

Post by Keigocan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:09 pm

NGC 4725 by a wide margin. The central image is impressive and by clicking on the image and using the enlarging cursor it is possible to explore deep space beyond NGC 4725 and the many types of galaxies of various types beyond NGC 4725.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:58 pm

#3 reminds me of this famous image

lethargo

Post by lethargo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:05 am

I liked the color, detail, and beauty of NGC 3324/Gabriela Mistral Nebula. However, the reason I like it MORE than the other photos was that when you clicked on it there was a larger version that was still enjoyably sharp and detailed.

acoustikid is my registered username

Post by acoustikid is my registered username » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 am

dione & titan is the shot i'd like to hang on my wall, the best artistically, (journalistically?).
but mercury venus conjunction from what is necessarily earth brings home like no other that
we are without doubt part of the system. it too is good art and it goes beyond.
acousikid

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:13 am

BMAONE23 wrote:#3 reminds me of this famous image
:lol: Maybe we should rename the nebula. That is a better match than this image, which is the flipped version of the image here.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 am

The Gabriela Mistral Nebula image came with a mouseover which superimposed a drawing of the author on the nebula, but I didn't include it because someone other than the photographers holds the copyright to the drawing. It fit really well, though!

Thanks to all who have posted comments so far as to why they voted the way they did. As did Gerry above, I also think it's a tough choice; I find something rich and deserving in each of these images. It's very interesting to read how each of you selected one picture!

irnctymike

Post by irnctymike » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:42 am

i chose NGC4725 because not because it is a stunning image (it really is), but because of what is visible in the background. there are numerous galaxies visible and to me it just shows how unimaginably large this magnificent universe of ours is and what many wonders are left to explore. i imagine that 1 day soon we will have pictures of these far far away galaxies that are just as stunning as NGC4725.