Herschel Views The Milky Way (2009 Oct 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Herschel Views The Milky Way (2009 Oct 16)

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:09 am

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap091016.html
Looks like maybe some star eggs amid the dust clouds! 8) Neat photo
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Re: Herschel Views The Milky Way (2009 Oct 16)

Post by Star*Hopper » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:03 pm

"...In initial tests, Herschel's cameras have combined to deliver this spectacular view along the plane of the Milky Way in the constellation of the Southern Cross. Spanning some 2 degrees the premier, false-color, far-infrared view captures our galaxy's cold dust clouds in extreme detail, showing a remarkable, connected maze of filaments and star-forming regions."

I know Euro likes to fluff things now & then.....but despite all that hoopla, it appears to me like nobody's quite figured out the focus knob.
I dunno....maybe I'm just having a 'bad eyes day'.

:?
~S*H
"Perhaps I'll never touch a star, but at least let me reach." ~J Faircloth

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:26 pm

It's not your eyes, it is kind of blurry. Maybe that's just the nature of far infrared imaging.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:36 pm

The SPIRE portion seems to be sharper than the PACS portion, and there seems to be a slight alignment problem. Maybe Herschel needs corrective surgery like Hubble did. I hope not, chances for that are vanishingly small.

http://herschel.esac.esa.int/FirstParal ... ages.shtml

jerbil
Ensign

Post by jerbil » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:41 pm

How did Sir William Herschel know anything about Infrared spectra? Well actually the details are well described. I am sorry to have intruded on this thread.

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Post by Star*Hopper » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:53 pm

bystander wrote:"... Maybe Herschel needs corrective surgery like Hubble did. I hope not, chances for that are vanishingly small."

Hubble (Ver.1) will always & forever live in my mind as that gag about being proof you shouldn't let General Motors grind your mirrors. "Didn't anyone notice the 'OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR'?"

:D
~S*H

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Star*Hopper wrote:Hubble (Ver.1) will always & forever live in my mind as that gag about being proof you shouldn't let General Motors grind your mirrors. "Didn't anyone notice the 'OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR'?"
Isn't that what a telescope does? Make things closer than they appear; to the naked eye anyway. :)

Orin
Orin

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Post by Star*Hopper » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:24 pm

So you 'get it', then? :lol:

~*

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:11 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1236449/Let-light-Herschel-telescope-images-birth-stars-1-000-light-years-Earth.html wrote:
<<Let there be light: Herschel telescope images show birth of stars 1,000 light years from Earth
By Wil Longbottom / Daily Mail 16th December 2009

This amazing image taken from the recently launched Herschel telescope shows the birth of up to 700 stars 1,000 light years from Earth. Released by the European Space Agency, the previously unseen stellar nursery has been described as among the most important images obtained from space in decades.

This image from the recently launched Herschel telescope shows the birth of up to
700 stars and clouds of 'stardust', which all life is made from, in the Aquila constellation

Discovery: Scientists hope the Herschel telescope, which was recently launched into space, will reveal some of the history of star formation

The image, taken using two of Herschel's instruments, shows a dark cloud 1,000 light years away in the constellation Aquila, or the Eagle. It covers an area 65 light years across and is so shrouded in dust that no previous infrared satellite has been able to see into it. Thanks to Herschel's superior sensitivity at the longest infrared wavelengths, astronomers are able to get their first picture of the interior of this cloud and previously invisible 'stardust'. This is what galaxies, stars, planets and all life is made from and can help scientists follow the life cycle of the cosmos.

Bruce Swinyard, from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire, is a member of the research team which designed Herschel's Spectral and Photometric Imaging Receiver, one of three instruments which provide the telescope's 'eyes'.

The telescope's infrared capability allows it to look deep into space at galaxies which thrived when the Universe was roughly half to a fifth of its present age. This is a period in cosmic history when it is thought star formation was at its most prolific.

Professor Swinyard told the BBC that by looking at 'young galaxies', Herschel is able to reveal some of the history of star formation. He said that the thousands of galaxies the telescope had detected would allow researchers to test models of galaxy formation, and to uncover the chemical processes that make stardust.>>
-------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:10 am

neufer wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1236449/Let-light-Herschel-telescope-images-birth-stars-1-000-light-years-Earth.html wrote:
<<Let there be light: Herschel telescope images show birth of stars 1,000 light years from Earth
By Wil Longbottom / Daily Mail 16th December 2009

This amazing image taken from the recently launched Herschel telescope shows the birth of up to 700 stars 1,000 light years from Earth. Released by the European Space Agency, the previously unseen stellar nursery has been described as among the most important images obtained from space in decades.

This image from the recently launched Herschel telescope shows the birth of up to
700 stars and clouds of 'stardust', which all life is made from, in the Aquila constellation

Discovery: Scientists hope the Herschel telescope, which was recently launched into space, will reveal some of the history of star formation

The image, taken using two of Herschel's instruments, shows a dark cloud 1,000 light years away in the constellation Aquila, or the Eagle. It covers an area 65 light years across and is so shrouded in dust that no previous infrared satellite has been able to see into it. Thanks to Herschel's superior sensitivity at the longest infrared wavelengths, astronomers are able to get their first picture of the interior of this cloud and previously invisible 'stardust'. This is what galaxies, stars, planets and all life is made from and can help scientists follow the life cycle of the cosmos.

Bruce Swinyard, from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire, is a member of the research team which designed Herschel's Spectral and Photometric Imaging Receiver, one of three instruments which provide the telescope's 'eyes'.

The telescope's infrared capability allows it to look deep into space at galaxies which thrived when the Universe was roughly half to a fifth of its present age. This is a period in cosmic history when it is thought star formation was at its most prolific.

Professor Swinyard told the BBC that by looking at 'young galaxies', Herschel is able to reveal some of the history of star formation. He said that the thousands of galaxies the telescope had detected would allow researchers to test models of galaxy formation, and to uncover the chemical processes that make stardust.>>
-------------------------------
nothing fuzzy about this one! :wink:
Orin

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:54 am

G'day

Its amazing how star formation occurs along filaments. The origin of these filaments holds the secrets to the universe.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:55 am

harry wrote:Its amazing how star formation occurs along filaments. The origin of these filaments holds the secrets to the universe.
The filaments in the apod and in Art's reference have nothing at all to do with the galaxy filaments that are a part of the large scale structure of the universe. These filamants are well within our own galaxy and are of the stuff from which stars are made. Why is it so amazing that stars form where there is an abundance of stellar material? :?

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:02 am

G'day Bystander

What a silly question.

Do you not find it amazing the images and the beauty of the cosmos?

I have been seeing the sky for decades and still find it amazing.

As for filaments, filaments are filaments small and large and their formation is extraordinary, how they connect from one object to the other like a web similar to the brain, having electrical impulses interconnecting each.

As for star formation filaments play an important part in sparking and rejuvinating stars.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:42 pm

harry wrote:Do you not find it amazing the images and the beauty of the cosmos?
Fascinating, nearly always. Amazing only occasionally. Personally, I don't see what to find amazing in the image under discussion. For the most part what's going on in the image is perfectly understandable; I am amazed by things that appear to operate differently from what physics would suggest.
As for filaments, filaments are filaments small and large and their formation is extraordinary, how they connect from one object to the other like a web similar to the brain, having electrical impulses interconnecting each.
Of course, there's no electrical connection associated with these filaments, nor with larger filaments. In fact, there's no connection of any kind. These are fully understood as shock fronts in gas and dust. Larger scale filaments are gravitational structures.
As for star formation filaments play an important part in sparking and rejuvinating stars.
No, they don't. They merely provide areas with sufficient dust and gas density that stars are able to form. The "sparking" of stars results from gravitational collapse. And stars are never "rejuvenated"; they have one life, and at the end (if they are large enough) they inject some or most of their material back into space to become the raw material for new stars.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com