water on mars... again...

Post by makc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:21 am

why does it even surprize anyone now...

p.s. unrelated

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: water on mars... again...

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:13 am

makc wrote:why does it even surprize anyone now...
But it's another piece of the puzzle!
ImageImage
Science is more about reconfirming (or debunking) discoveries than the discoveries themselves.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:27 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fimbulwinter wrote:
<<In [Viking] mythology, Fimbulvetr (or fimbulvinter) is the immediate prelude to the events of Ragnarök. Fimbulvetr is three successive winters where snow comes in from all directions, without any intervening summer. During this time, there will be innumerable wars and brothers will kill brothers.

The prefix 'fimbul' means "the great/big" so the correct interpretation of the word is "the great winter".

There have been several popular speculations about whether this particular piece of mythology has a connection to the climate change that occurred in the Nordic countries at the end of the Nordic Bronze Age, about 650 BC. Before this climate change, the Nordic countries were considerably warmer.>>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:51 pm

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Art Neuendorffer

northstar
Ensign
AKA: Sputnick

Post by northstar » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Lots of water has been found on earth's moon also, beginning with mankind's first landings there. http://www.livescience.com/space/080709-moon-water.html
"Water water everywhere .... " I've read that water is the most common substance in the universe.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:55 pm

northstar wrote: "Water water everywhere .... " I've read that water is the most common substance in the universe.
I believe that hydrogen is the most abundant material in the universe, followed by helium. Even if you were talking molecular substances, I believe that molecular hydrogen is far more abundant than water. However, water, as a simple molecule, is probably relatively common, as are ammonia and methane.

northstar
Ensign

Post by northstar » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:06 pm

bystander wrote:
northstar wrote: "Water water everywhere .... " I've read that water is the most common substance in the universe.
I believe that hydrogen is the most abundant material in the universe, followed by helium. Even if you were talking molecular substances, I believe that molecular hydrogen is far more abundant than water. However, water, as a simple molecule, is probably relatively common, as are ammonia and methane.
Good article on water in the universe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water#Wate ... e_universe

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:05 pm

northstar wrote:Good article on water in the universe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water#Wate ... e_universe
I think the term abundance is relative. Certainly on habitable planets, water is abundant, probably much more abundant than hydrogen. However, on gas giants, hydrogen and helium dominate, and concentrations of ammonia and methane are higher than water. In molecular clouds, and the universe as a whole, I suspect the concentrations are skewed even more in the direction of the lighter molecules and atoms.

For example, the composition of Jupiter's atmosphere is approximately 90% hydrogen and 10% helium by volume, (75% and 24% by mass), with traces of methane, ammonia, hydrogen deuteride, ethane, and water. Similarly, the Sun is 75% hydrogen and 24% helium, by mass. By volume, Saturn is 96% hydrogen and 3% helium; Uranus 83% and 15%; and Neptune 80% and 19%.

You have to admit that the predominance of hydrogen and helium on those 5 most massive objects in the solar system far out weighs the presence of water on any of the other planets and moons, including Earth.

northstar
Ensign

Post by northstar » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:47 pm

bystander wrote:
You have to admit that the predominance of hydrogen and helium on those 5 most massive objects in the solar system far out weighs the presence of water on any of the other planets and moons, including Earth.
But, the gasses on Jupiter and Saturn are not liquid. How would their volumes compare to water on earth if they were liquified?
Last edited by northstar on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:53 pm

northstar wrote:But, the gasses on Jupiter and Saturn and not liquid. How would their volumes compare to water on earth if they were liquified?
Considering that Jupiter is 2.5 times the mass of all the other planets in our Solar System combined, I would still say that water on Earth is negligible.

northstar
Ensign

Post by northstar » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 pm

bystander wrote:
northstar wrote:But, the gasses on Jupiter and Saturn and not liquid. How would their volumes compare to water on earth if they were liquified?
Considering that Jupiter is 2.5 times the mass of all the other planets in our Solar System combined, I would still say that water on Earth is negligible.
I understand that recent speculation suggests strongly that Jupiter and Saturn have massive, rocky cores.
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/galileo/jupiter/interior.html

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:05 pm

makc wrote:p.s. unrelated
and another great youtube short ft carl sagan