NGC 6888: The Crescent Nebula (APOD 2009 Sept 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
P.King
Asternaut

NGC 6888: The Crescent Nebula (APOD 2009 Sept 15)

Post by P.King » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:19 pm

I see what appears to be a brown foreground object right smack in the middle of this photograph. I presume the Isaac Newton Telescope would not produce an artifact like this if it was not there. There appears to be a wisp of another such a blob to the upper right.

Does anyone know what this is?

azutjw
Ensign

Re: NGC 6888: The Crescent Nebula (APOD 2009 Sept 15)

Post by azutjw » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:34 pm

Sighting confirmed. My first thought is a globule of denser material Does anyone know if our line-of-sight is polar or equatorial, or something in between?
The horizon of my ignorance recedes a little every day - -
but it gets broader as it goes.jw

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:41 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090915.html
P.King wrote:I see what appears to be a brown foreground object right smack in the middle of this photograph. I presume the Isaac Newton Telescope would not produce an artifact like this if it was not there. There appears to be a wisp of another such a blob to the upper right.

Does anyone know what this is?
I don't know what it is, but it also shows up on 2008 Aug 13, (image rotated clockwise).
Other images: 2007 Nov 11, 2003 Oct 16, and 2003 Apr 15.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 pm

azutjw wrote:Sighting confirmed. My first thought is a globule of denser material Does anyone know if our line-of-sight is polar or equatorial, or something in between?
It's just a dust globule- there are several seen in this nebula. The Crescent is at declination +38°, so it is neither equatorial nor polar. But that doesn't really matter; the dust is part of the nebula, not an object between us and it (of course, it does lie on our side of the nebula, or we'd see it lit, not silhouetted).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

azutjw
Ensign

Post by azutjw » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:16 pm

OK, now you've really piqued my interest. First, the latitudinal orientation I was speaking of refers to the star relative to the line-of-sight, not the line-of-sight relative to us, to wit: any idea which way the axis of the source star is oriented? Second, thanks, dust globule was my first guess as to the nature of the object, but - -

There really aren't any others showing in the same nebula. There are similar regions, but none so large, so clearly defined in all directions, so 'separate' from all other 'structures' in the nebula. Could someone offer some learned speculation on the mechanism that would generate such an un-ordinary object?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:56 pm

azutjw wrote:OK, now you've really piqued my interest. First, the latitudinal orientation I was speaking of refers to the star relative to the line-of-sight, not the line-of-sight relative to us, to wit: any idea which way the axis of the source star is oriented?
No idea. It may not have been determined- stellar orientation is usually not known.
There really aren't any others showing in the same nebula. There are similar regions, but none so large, so clearly defined in all directions, so 'separate' from all other 'structures' in the nebula. Could someone offer some learned speculation on the mechanism that would generate such an un-ordinary object?
I disagree about whether there are others. I see several similar globules. Certainly, the one in the center appears to be the best defined, but that may be an illusion resulting from its strong back lighting. But whether it is the most distinct or not, other such dust/molecular gas clouds are present. Small globules like these typically contain several solar masses of material, and surround new star forming regions. Whether that's the case here, however, I don't know. It sure looks like the sort of globules seen in other nebulas.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

azutjw
Ensign

Post by azutjw » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:08 pm

OK, I can accept that. Thanks.