Seeing Space Shuttle land in California

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Confused
Science Officer

Seeing Space Shuttle land in California

Post by Confused » Sun May 24, 2009 2:09 pm

The space shuttle will land in California in about an hour and a half from now. When it does, I would like to see it fly overhead if possible.

The last shuttle mission landed at Edwards (where I was born). It flew roughly south to north over Los Angeles on it's way to landing. I think I saw it when I went outside but I cannot be sure.

One problem is that the reporting of the landing did not show the flight path very much or very well. Sometimes it goes north of here on it's way down, which means it does not fly over the greater Los Angeles area.

Anoterh prpblem is that it comes down with excorts; there are other planes in the sky. I don't know if any of them lead or if they all follow, and that makes it even more difficult to know which aircraft is the shuttle.

Does anyone know where this information can be obtained from? If I had a car I might hop over to JPL but I don't have a car.

My specific questions are: (1) what will be the flight path and (2) what other aircraft flies with it when it lands; more specifically, which ones if any leads it.

Something that would help is more specific reporting of exactly where the shuttle is relative to populated areas when it gets close enough to be seen from earth. Or another criteria would be where it is at when we here the sonic booms (two of them).

Confused
Science Officer

Re: Seeing Space Shuttle land in California

Post by Confused » Sun May 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Okay, I found NASA - STS-125 Landing Ground Tracks which shows that the shuttle won't fly over greater LA this trip.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon May 25, 2009 1:02 pm

G'day from the land of ozzzz

http://www.spacetelescope.org/news/html/heic0908.html
News Release - heic0908: Historic Hubble Servicing Mission 4 ends with successful landing
24-May-2009: The historic and successful Hubble Servicing Mission 4 concluded with a trouble-free Space Shuttle landing on Sunday. During a series of unprecedented spacewalks, astronauts replaced and repaired a total of four instruments. The Wide Field Camera 3 and Cosmic Origins Spectrograph were installed and the Advanced Camera for Surveys and Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph were successfully repaired.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Post by aristarchusinexile » Mon May 25, 2009 4:12 pm

harry wrote:G'day from the land of ozzzz

News Release - heic0908: Historic Hubble Servicing Mission 4 ends with successful landing
24-May-2009: The historic and successful Hubble Servicing Mission 4 concluded with a trouble-free Space Shuttle landing on Sunday. During a series of unprecedented spacewalks, astronauts replaced and repaired a total of four instruments. The Wide Field Camera 3 and Cosmic Origins Spectrograph were installed and the Advanced Camera for Surveys and Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph were successfully repaired.
Welcome back, Adventurers.
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

Confused
Science Officer

Post by Confused » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:57 pm

I doubt that is relevant. I was asking for information specific to the landing. You can post links such as that in your own thread where it would be on-topic; it is off-topic here.

The shuttle will be flying over me in less than an hour. I wish someone could tell me which spacecraft is the shuttle. The last time it flew over during landing, there were multiple aircraft in the path of the shuttle at the time the shuttle was due. I called Edwards Air Force Base but he just insisted I was wrong instead of admitting he did not know.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:31 am

G'day Confused

Don't be confused

Hello Aris

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:33 am

Confused wrote:

I doubt that is relevant. I was asking for information specific to the landing. You can post links such as that in your own thread where it would be on-topic; it is off-topic here.
Part of the reason you are confused is you are commenting on a post made almost four months ago. Considering STS-125 and HSM-4 were synonymous, the post was very relevant and on topic at the time. The mission that just returned was STS-128 and had nothing at all to do with your original post. You, sir are the one that is out of line.

BTW: Harry, ari is still gone. He won't be back.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:33 am

G'day bystander

oops,,,,,,,,,I was confused

Your right.

At the end of the day it will not alter the price of the eggs.