Meteor Crater & climate impact (2009 August 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: Meteor Crater & climate impact (2009 August 11)

Post by rstevenson » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:31 am

It ain't easy to find out, but I managed to track down a group rate registration form in PDF format. It says (remember, these are group rates and are therefore discounted from the regular rates, I presume) that an adult tour fare is $10, seniors $9, and for ages 6-17, $6. Sounds reasonable in 2009 dollars.

To just look through a window, $3.75 in 1958 would have been, as they say, a rip.

Rob

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Meteor Crater & climate impact (2009 August 11)

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:42 am

rstevenson wrote:It ain't easy to find out, but I managed to track down a group rate registration form in PDF format. It says (remember, these are group rates and are therefore discounted from the regular rates, I presume) that an adult tour fare is $10, seniors $9, and for ages 6-17, $6. Sounds reasonable in 2009 dollars.

To just look through a window, $3.75 in 1958 would have been, as they say, a rip.
Non group rates: http://www.meteorcrater.com/contactus/hoursdates.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_Crater wrote:
Meteor Crater is today a popular tourist attraction, reached via Meteor Crater Road (exit 233) off I-40. There is a $15 entrance fee to see the crater (adult rate). Despite its importance as a geological site, it is not protected as a national monument, a status that would require federal ownership. The crater is still privately owned by the Barringer family, but the attraction staff patrol the area in uniforms clearly intended to resemble those of the National Park Service. The crater was designated a National Natural Landmark in November 1967.
Art Neuendorffer