If theories must be disprovable, what value are they?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

If theories must be disprovable, what value are they?

Post by aristarchusinexile » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm genuinely stumped on this one.
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

Rocky Planet
Ensign

Re: If theories must be disprovable, what value are they?

Post by Rocky Planet » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Your gut has all the answers. Use your flashlight.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Hello aristarchusnotinexile,

A theory is akin to a patterned idea. A framework, if you will, which is sort of the method we humans use in order to organize a set of ideas that support the pattern or disprove it through testing. Some tests win, some don't. If we couldn't for some reason develope this characteristic we would have nothing but a bunch of info that would be so seemingly unrelated as to be meaningless.

A theory may not be critical to our survival but the ability to develope one most certainly is.

For example: an individual may, through observation in the field, develope a theory that one could capture a chimpanzee by placing food into a hole in the side if a rock. If the hole was large enough for the chimp's hand to reach in but small enough that it's fist, once enclosed around the food, could not be pulled out then-Bingo! When it came to pass it supported the theory. Other chimps may not put their hand on the hole, others do but then release the food when the captor's approach, disproving the theory. But in reality most are in fact captured so the theory stands, even though in some instances it would appear to be wrong. I personally don't know the % of chimpanzees required to make the theory a correct one
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

Rocky Planet
Ensign

Post by Rocky Planet » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Disprovability applies to scientific theories. A scientific theory states that a phenomenon always follows one or more rules, or it proposes a mechanism for a phenomenon that is reflected in one or more rules that are always followed, or it specifies attributes of a phenomenon that are defined by one or more rules that are always followed. The disprovability comes into play as the rules must be constructed in a way that we can determine whether they hold true for a particular trial. This means that we need a trial though which we can gather data to plug into the rule to see whether the rule works or not. It is simply a principle of logic that the "always" part is disproved by a single exception but not proved by any number of verifications. You can have a theory that does not follow these principles, but if it can't be tested it's not a scientific theory by definition. We don't need to be able presently to conduct the trial for our theory to meet the definition of testability - the theory need only to have in principle an observable condition that would disprove it. Regarding the value of a theory that is bound by those conditions, the fact is that it's all that logic allows us, and it's better than having no structured method at all to evaluate our scientific explanations. Our knowledge is thereby guided or constrained in the right direction by eliminating all the directions that don't stand up to a test of their criteria against measured reality.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:51 pm

Hello Rocky Planet,

Aw shucks........wait a minute.........what about those little chimps? Chalk it up to Darwinism? A theory in and of itself so maybe the chimp snagging is a subset. C'mon work with me here. I mean, who loves ya baby.
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

Rocky Planet
Ensign

Post by Rocky Planet » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:03 am

A theory about chimps or anything else could be a scientific theory or not, depending on the phrasing. Does it specify a rule that can be tested? Your chimp theory includes the word "could", so it's not so much a statement of a rule that "always" applies. So, unlike what I described above, this kind of theory can be proved correct by a single successful trial and never disproved by trials only. And Kojak loves me if nobody else does - pass the lollipops.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:28 am

Stephen Hawking in [i]A Brief History of Time[/i] wrote:A theory is a good theory if it satisfies two requirements: It must accurately describe a large class of observations on the basis of a model that contains only a few arbitrary elements, and it must make definite predictions about the results of future observations.
Any physical theory is always provisional, in the sense that it is only a hypothesis; you can never prove it. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not contradict the theory. On the other hand, you can disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:00 am

aristarchusinexile wrote:I'm genuinely stumped on this one.
If they are actually disproved, they add to our knowledge- we know with high certainty that something in particular is not true. If they survive testing for a long time without being disproved, they boost our confidence that they do represent truth. Either way, that is value.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Loco
Ensign

Post by Loco » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:45 pm

astrolabe wrote:Hello aristarchusnotinexile,

A theory is akin to a patterned idea. A framework, if you will, which is sort of the method we humans use in order to organize a set of ideas that support the pattern or disprove it through testing. Some tests win, some don't. If we couldn't for some reason develope this characteristic we would have nothing but a bunch of info that would be so seemingly unrelated as to be meaningless.

A theory may not be critical to our survival but the ability to develope one most certainly is.

For example: an individual may, through observation in the field, develope a theory that one could capture a chimpanzee by placing food into a hole in the side if a rock. If the hole was large enough for the chimp's hand to reach in but small enough that it's fist, once enclosed around the food, could not be pulled out then-Bingo! When it came to pass it supported the theory. Other chimps may not put their hand on the hole, others do but then release the food when the captor's approach, disproving the theory. But in reality most are in fact captured so the theory stands, even though in some instances it would appear to be wrong. I personally don't know the % of chimpanzees required to make the theory a correct one
I hope no one minds if I throw an answer in here (pardon my rudeness, Aristarchus) by saying, why then, not propose theories which do not have to be disprovable. Surely they would be valuable, instead of being for the most part seemingly worthless exercises in futility.
Applications for membership to Local Ottawa Cosmos Ottawa now being accepted.

Loco
Ensign

Post by Loco » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
aristarchusinexile wrote:I'm genuinely stumped on this one.
If they are actually disproved, they add to our knowledge- we know with high certainty that something in particular is not true. If they survive testing for a long time without being disproved, they boost our confidence that they do represent truth. Either way, that is value.
What you say has value. However, if a theory MUST be disprovable, that seems to say the theorist knows the theory is false to begin with. I agree with Aristarchus that this proposition seems to have no value at all.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:26 pm

Loco wrote:What you say has value. However, if a theory MUST be disprovable, that seems to say the theorist knows the theory is false to begin with. I agree with Aristarchus that this proposition seems to have no value at all.
A good theory is constructed in such a way as to be disprovable. Keep in mind that no theory can ever be provable, so disprovability is really the only absolute mechanism available for testing. How useful is a "theory" (using the term loosely) that can neither be demonstrated true or false?

Keep in mind that the idea of disprovability is fundamental. The degree to which an actual theory is disprovable varies somewhat. People certainly prefer theories that have a simple method of disprovability, but there are theories which are not easily disproved in a way that everyone would accept without discussion.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:27 am

G'day Aris

You said
I'm genuinely stumped on this one.
If you can imagine a block of granite being chipped away to show the end sculpture, the theories are like chissels chipping away, "in doing" they become blunt and need retuning, resharpenning and updated with stronger metal.

To walk along the journey of discovery you need stepping stones.
I sometimes see theories as stepping stones that sometimes need to be replaced.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:35 am

G'day from the land of ozzzzz

This paper maybe related to this topic.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0812.0537
Sociology of Modern Cosmology

Authors: Martin Lopez-Corredoira
(Submitted on 2 Dec 2008 (v1), last revised 18 May 2009 (this version, v2))
Abstract: Certain results of observational cosmology cast critical doubt on the foundations of standard cosmology but leave most cosmologists untroubled. Alternative cosmological models that differ from the Big Bang have been published and defended by heterodox scientists; however, most cosmologists do not heed these. This may be because standard theory is correct and all other ideas and criticisms are incorrect, but it is also to a great extent due to sociological phenomena such as the "snowball effect" or "groupthink". We might wonder whether cosmology, the study of the Universe as a whole, is a science like other branches of physics or just a dominant ideology.

Loco
Ensign

Post by Loco » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Loco wrote:What you say has value. However, if a theory MUST be disprovable, that seems to say the theorist knows the theory is false to begin with. I agree with Aristarchus that this proposition seems to have no value at all.
A good theory is constructed in such a way as to be disprovable. Keep in mind that no theory can ever be provable, so disprovability is really the only absolute mechanism available for testing. How useful is a "theory" (using the term loosely) that can neither be demonstrated true or false?

Keep in mind that the idea of disprovability is fundamental. The degree to which an actual theory is disprovable varies somewhat. People certainly prefer theories that have a simple method of disprovability, but there are theories which are not easily disproved in a way that everyone would accept without discussion.
"I see!" said the blind man. Of course! Just because a theory is structured so it CAN be disproved if new information becomes available does not mean it WILL BE disproved. Simple. I cannot understand why I did not understand this to begin with in the big inning .. (the beginning that is) .. there must have been some kind of blockage .. some kind of hyperwallmentalblock errected by my subliminalsubconscioussubliminalities I suppose. Aristarchus, I hope your subliminalblockages don't cause you as much discomfort as they do the I who is me.

Loco
Ensign

Post by Loco » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:07 pm

harry wrote:G'day from the land of ozzzzz

This paper maybe related to this topic.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0812.0537
Sociology of Modern Cosmology

Authors: Martin Lopez-Corredoira
(Submitted on 2 Dec 2008 (v1), last revised 18 May 2009 (this version, v2))
Abstract: Certain results of observational cosmology cast critical doubt on the foundations of standard cosmology but leave most cosmologists untroubled. Alternative cosmological models that differ from the Big Bang have been published and defended by heterodox scientists; however, most cosmologists do not heed these. This may be because standard theory is correct and all other ideas and criticisms are incorrect, but it is also to a great extent due to sociological phenomena such as the "snowball effect" or "groupthink". We might wonder whether cosmology, the study of the Universe as a whole, is a science like other branches of physics or just a dominant ideology.
Harry - are you really from Oz? Do you know Dorothy? Do you think the Tin Man was a forerunner of the robot?

I agree with Lopez-Corredoira in so far as dominant idology used to possess huge mass in cosmological circles .. the Big Bang theory was rarely questioned, and probably with great trepidation. That consensus seems to have shattered though
in the light of theories based on more than the simple flying away of redshifted galaxies. MOG for one, which includes anti-gravity, is far superior in every way. I think those cosmologists clinging desperately to the Big Bang may be moving more and more toward institutions for the elderly, where it is certain raisins in an expanding dough will invoke far greater realistic pleasure than when those cosmologists were young people using that anaology, rarely seeing raisins in real dough, except perhaps at Easter, during which Hot Cross Buns were consumed wholeheartedly. I hope I didn't cross any boundaries by mentioning Hot Crosses? Please believe me when I say I am not of the flaming cross persuasion.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi Loco
Loco wrote:some kind of hyperwallmentalblock errected by my subliminalsubconscioussubliminalities I suppose. Aristarchus, I hope your subliminalblockages don't cause you as much discomfort as they do the I who is me.
What ever that means, I will just say yes to.

Mark
Always trying to find the answers

Loco
Ensign

Post by Loco » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:19 pm

mark swain wrote:Hi Loco
Loco wrote:some kind of hyperwallmentalblock errected by my subliminalsubconscioussubliminalities I suppose. Aristarchus, I hope your subliminalblockages don't cause you as much discomfort as they do the I who is me.
What ever that means, I will just say yes to.

Mark
A "yes" is acceptable, Mark, but I must say it is not as good as a rousing and stimulating discussion in which points of view are traded for other points of view of equal, lesser or greater value. I must warn you though, saying "yes" to things you don't know what are can theoretically get one into difficulties. On the other hand, a hugely pleasant surprise might await one who simply says, "yes." So .. suit yourself, but always, when suiting, where a complementary tie.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:26 pm

Loco wrote:A "yes" is acceptable, Mark, but I must say it is not as good as a rousing and stimulating discussion in which points of view are traded for other points of view of equal, lesser or greater value. I must warn you though, saying "yes" to things you don't know what are can theoretically get one into difficulties. On the other hand, a hugely pleasant surprise might await one who simply says, "yes." So .. suit yourself, but always, when suiting, where a complementary tie.
A man of my clear view,, already knows the treat in store... heeeerrrrreeeeesssss Johny...
Always trying to find the answers

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:20 am

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzz

Loco said:
Harry - are you really from Oz? Do you know Dorothy? Do you think the Tin Man was a forerunner of the robot?
Mate, I know Dorothy and the wicked witch of the East and the Kind Witch of the North.

Here in ozzz, we offer Brains, heart, courage and home like no other place.

=======================================================

I was going to say something,,,,,,,,,,,I forgot