The anti-tail (APOD 2009 February 2)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

The anti-tail (APOD 2009 February 2)

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:33 am

----------------------------------------------
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap090105.html
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090202.html

L(uli)N ANTI-TAIL
__ {anagram}
NITAL-(lui)-LATIN
_____
lui : he, him (French, Italian)
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040422.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap980220.html

---------------------------------------
<<In Inuit legend, the narwhal's tusk was created when a woman with a harpoon rope tied around her waist was dragged into the ocean after the harpoon had struck a large narwhal. She was transformed into a narwhal herself, and her hair twisted around in the water until it became the characteristic spiral narwhal tusk.

Some medieval Europeans believed narwhal tusks to be the horns from the legendary unicorn. The tusks were used to make cups that were thought to negate any poison that may have been slipped into the drink. During the 16th century, Queen Elizabeth received a carved and bejeweled narwhal tusk for £10,000—the cost of a castle. Herman Melville wrote a section on the narwhal in Moby Dick. In it, he claims that a narwhal tusk hung for "a long period" in Windsor Castle after Sir Martin Frobisher had given it to Queen Bess.>>

Comet Arend-Roland photographed on April 25, 1957.
The prominent anti-tail extending from the coma appears to precede the comet, though it actually trails from behind.
<<Basically, there are two types of [comet] tails, the Type I ion, or gas, tail, and the Type II dust tail. The ion tail is typically bluish, and it is carried almost straight outward away from the Sun by the solar wind. But, the dust tail is a bit more complicated. It is pushed outward by light pressure. When the dust shed by outgassing of the nucleus of the comet, it forms a cloud around the nucleus. Most people don’t realize it, but light can actually push on things. So, the light from the Sun is able to push the tiny dust grains outward. But, these dust grains are still orbiting the Sun. So, a push outward causes them to be pushed into farther orbits. The farther an orbit is from the Sun, the slower it moves. So, these dust grains lag ever so slightly behind the nucleus of the comet. The farther they are pushed, the more they lag, so the tail gently sweeps backward, though still largely pointing away from the Sun. The result is a bifurcated tail, one bluish Type I and one yellowish Type II.

But photographs are inherently two dimensional. The tail is curved in three dimensions. So, projecting this onto a two dimensional photograph, taken from the perspective of the Earth, not the Sun or some observer external to the Solar System, can often do some strange things. For example, in 1957, Comet Arend-Roland passed near the Sun, and the dust tail curved so much that it swung around behind the head of the comet, as seen from Earth. Though the tail was most definitely curving away from the Sun, from the perspective of the Earth, you could see the back end of it appear to swing around onto the other side of the head and appear as a spike pointing towards the Sun as seen in this photograph from the Armagh Observatory. We call this sunward appearing spike an antitail. Not all comets show an antitail, only those who happen to be just the right position for the orbital geometries to give this perspective. The tail definitely is not pointing sunward. It just seems to be from our perspective.>>
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: The anti-tail (APOD 2009 February 2)

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:07 pm

I find the explanation a bit misleading. It states that his is likely this comets first ppearance yet goes further to state that the "Anti Tail" is caused by dust debris in its orbital path. How could this be the comets first pass and still have a prior orbital debris path? :?:

Earthbelow
Ensign

Post by Earthbelow » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:18 pm

I have another question: why is this comet green? I thought they were always white.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:I find the explanation a bit misleading. It states that his is likely this comets first ppearance yet goes further to state that the "Anti Tail" is caused by dust debris in its orbital path. How could this be the comets first pass and still have a prior orbital debris path? :?:
There is no a prior orbital debris path but there are two different tails going in different directions:

1) The ion tail always points away from the sun.
2) The dust tail lags behind and, therefore, is now pointing towards the sun that Lulin has already passed.

"the comet officially designated C/2007 N3 (Lulin) has now swung by the Sun and is approaching Earth on a trajectory that will bring it within half the Earth-Sun distance in late February."
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:11 pm

Earthbelow wrote:I have another question: why is this comet green? I thought they were always white.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap071110.html

Explanation: A beautiful blue ion tail has become visible in deep telescopic images of Comet Holmes. Pointing generally away from the Sun and also planet Earth, the comet's ion tail is seriously foreshortened by our extreme viewing angle. Still, enthusiastic comet watchers have remarked that on the whole, the compact but tentacled appearance suggests a jellyfish or even a cosmic calamari. This stunning view of the comet's greenish coma and blue tail was recorded on November 4 in clear skies near Budapest, Hungary. The colors are caused by molecules in the tenuous gas, like C2 (green) and CO+ (blue), fluorescing in sunlight.
----------------------------------------------------------
[b] http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/05jan_machholz.htm[/b] wrote: <<A frequently-asked question: Why do some comet atmospheres glow green?

Answer: The coma contains cyanogen (CN), a poisonous gas, and diatomic carbon (C2).
Both of these substances glow green when illuminated by sunlight.
This is called "resonant fluorescence.">>
----------------------------------------------------------
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080102.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050111.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap071105.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061004.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060311.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_with_Green_Hair
Art Neuendorffer

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:01 pm

I am confused as to the date when the image was taken. The second 'Comet Lulin' hyperlink in the explanation brought up a page in the Sky & Telescope website. That page had the image used as the APOD and it was said to have been taken on February 2nd (presumably 2009). How does an image get to be used as an APOD on the day it was taken, particularly as the APOD of February 1st stated that the APOD of February 2nd was about Comet Lulin? I hope that is not confusing, but I'm confused over the date! :? but still :)ing.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:49 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:I am confused as to the date when the image was taken. The second 'Comet Lulin' hyperlink in the explanation brought up a page in the Sky & Telescope website. That page had the image used as the APOD and it was said to have been taken on February 2nd (presumably 2009). How does an image get to be used as an APOD on the day it was taken, particularly as the APOD of February 1st stated that the APOD of February 2nd was about Comet Lulin? I hope that is not confusing, but I'm confused over the date! :? but still :)ing.
Ned: Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!

Phil: Hi, thanks for watching. [Starts to walk away]

Ned: Hey now, don't you tell me you don't remember me 'cause I sure as heckfire remember you.

Phil: Not a chance.

Ned: Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing. Ned Ryerson, got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Bing, again. Ned Ryerson, I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple of times until you told me not to anymore? Well?

Phil: Ned Ryerson?

Ned: BING!

Phil: Bing.
Art Neuendorffer

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Post by aristarchusinexile » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Why is the Unicorn thought of as a mythical creature? Only because they did not survive into the era where history becomes recorded in writing. Other creatures thought to be mythical have been discovered alive. It's doubtful the unicorn survives today .. but I have no doubt it was a living creature .. and in fact what appears to be a unicorn appears in one of the european cave paintings.
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:25 pm

neufer wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:I am confused as to the date when the image was taken. The second 'Comet Lulin' hyperlink in the explanation brought up a page in the Sky & Telescope website. That page had the image used as the APOD and it was said to have been taken on February 2nd (presumably 2009). How does an image get to be used as an APOD on the day it was taken, particularly as the APOD of February 1st stated that the APOD of February 2nd was about Comet Lulin? I hope that is not confusing, but I'm confused over the date! :? but still :)ing.
Ned: Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!

Phil: Hi, thanks for watching. [Starts to walk away]

Ned: Hey now, don't you tell me you don't remember me 'cause I sure as heckfire remember you.

Phil: Not a chance.

Ned: Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing. Ned Ryerson, got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Bing, again. Ned Ryerson, I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple of times until you told me not to anymore? Well?

Phil: Ned Ryerson?

Ned: BING!

Phil: Bing.

Sorry but I've no idea how that answers or helps with my query. Your post just seems totally pointless and I can't help but wonder why you made it. :(

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:49 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:Sorry but I've no idea how that answers or helps with my query. Your post just seems totally pointless and I can't help but wonder why you made it. :(
I didn't mean to offend, David.
It was simply my peculiar way of implying that your question is rather baffling one.

The February 2, 2009, APOD was most certainly not taken on February 2, 2009,
and it is not at all clear why you should think that it was.
Art Neuendorffer

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:01 pm

neufer wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:Sorry but I've no idea how that answers or helps with my query. Your post just seems totally pointless and I can't help but wonder why you made it. :(
I didn't mean to offend, David.
It was simply my peculiar way of implying that your question is rather baffling one.

The February 2, 2009, APOD was most certainly not taken on February 2, 2009,
and it is not at all clear why you should think that it was.
Thank you. I made my inquiry about the date because in the caption to the image in the Sky & Telescope webpage it stated "Comet Lulin on February 2nd, glowing at magnitude 6.5 with tail and antitail".

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:18 pm

See Sky and Telescope: Catch Winter's Comet Lulin

The caption to the picture from APOD is Comet Lulin on February 2nd, glowing at magnitude 6.5 with tail and antitail.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:05 pm

I have an apology to make concerning my query about the date when the iamge was taken. For whatever reason I semed to have missed the "this picture, taken from Italy last Friday" in the explanation to the APOD. That makes the date January 30th, which seems much more likley than the February 2nd given in the Sky & Telescope webpage. :oops:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:47 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:I have an apology to make concerning my query about the date when the iamge was taken. For whatever reason I semed to have missed the "this picture, taken from Italy last Friday" in the explanation to the APOD. That makes the date January 30th, which seems much more likley than the February 2nd given in the Sky & Telescope webpage. :oops:
You're not the only one to miss it. Obviously Sky & Telescope did, as did I.

bor
Asternaut

Post by bor » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:14 pm

You can see more information abou antitail here:

http://surftitan.blogspot.com/2009/02/a ... ution.html

Best regards!