poll global warming

The cosmos at our fingertips.
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

poll global warming

Post by BMAONE23 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:05 am

I've seen this debated on many bbs sites many thousands of people and I was wondering if there is a concensus anywhere
Last edited by BMAONE23 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:09 am

G'day BMAone23

Well its to the pole.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:58 pm

I voted "other" /IDK. But does it matter, really? what Heraclitus said.

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:45 pm

canw evote for 2 choice?

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:48 pm

nahh we cant vote for 2 choice. Well i vote for natural cyclic and also on man made. May be sun too. :P :wink:

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 am

G'day all

Thank you MakC

what Heraclitus said.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 53598.html

The other quotes are fantastic.

As for Global warming.

One word

ADAPT

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:34 am

More than likely the final word(s) about global warming would likely be
Self Correction.
Nature has a way of solving warming periods. She brings about a Cooling Cycle. (Ice Age)
The process is simple.
1) Earth heats up.
2) Northern Polar Ice melts.
3) Fresh Water Ice melt runoff flows into the Arctic Ocean.
4) Massive ammounts of Cold Fresh water pouring into the ocean causes a shift in global ocean currents.
5) Shifting ocean currents block warmer southern ocean waters from reaching northern continental mass.
6) Northern continents substantially cool down allowing glacial formation.
ICE AGE BEGINS.

PROBLEM
The Ice ages cause dramatic cooling in northern continents in the areas where farming is currently happening. It is impossible to grow wheat under a glacier but glaciers will form where the breadbasket regions currently are located.
as this map clearly shows. During the last ice age Winter Pack ice covered all the way to south of San Diego in the pacific. And New York is covered by Long Term Glacial formations.
So Global warming is not only bad for the heat but it is also bad for the Ice Age it would eventually bring on.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:37 am

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzz

All we need to add to that is a low cycle from the sun and a few large volanoes to add to the cream.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:34 pm

Do we really know? :roll: For that reason I voted other.
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 pm

I think solar activity is a part of the natural cyclical. Although mankind and other factors may be accelerating or aggravating global warming, I believe the underlying cause is natural. That does not mean we should not attempt to reduce emissions and pollutants. Deforestation is probably as much a factor in the rise of carbon dioxide as the use of fossil fuels.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:00 pm

Hello Bystander, you hit the nail on the head.

Even though man may add a little to global warming, the pollution problems of the Air and Water are extreme.

We are killing people and for what?

jesusfreak16
Ensign

Re: poll global warming

Post by jesusfreak16 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:06 pm

This just my personal opinion,but I don't really think that the earth is warming up as much as it would seem,because with all this pollution,the temperature hasn't risen that much.
T.T.F.N. (Ta Ta For Now!)

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:05 pm

too bad poll results did not survive forum upgrade.

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Post by aristarchusinexile » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:58 pm

The latest science data says "no summer ice in the arctic in six years". I suspect the amount of global warming has been masked by the ocean's capacity to absorb heat without indicating much change. Them danged hippies wuz rite all along. The sun is contributing, as is pollution's greenhouse effects, as is the heat outpourings of mankind's daily activities like washing and drying clothing, driving motor vehicles, even flushing the toilet adds heat because water that normally remains cold is in northern climates warmed by the home's environment, the same in southern climates actually, water being drawn from the cold earth and brought to the warm surface, and of course if you've ever stood on a shingle roof in summer you know a lot of heat is being generated. Palm trees in Canada in the very near future.
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:00 pm

aristarchusinexile wrote:I suspect the amount of global warming has been masked by the ocean's capacity to absorb heat without indicating much change.
That, and global dimming: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming
Art Neuendorffer

global_frozing
Asternaut

Post by global_frozing » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:49 am

I am looking for the investor of grant for this:
http://www.globalfrozing.com/Atmospheri ... opsis.html

Any ideas, comments, etc?

Aleksey.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:06 am

global_frozing wrote:I am looking for the investor of grant for this:

Aleksey.
yeah, pay those patent application fees and sell to these guys.

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Aleksey.
The Australians have a generator set into a glass tower which is open top and bottom .. the sun heating the air in the tower which powers the generator. This, however, contributes to global warming. The only immediate answer to the majority share of mankind's contribution to global warming is immediate economic collapse.

global_frozing
Asternaut

Post by global_frozing » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:00 am

makc wrote:

Aleksey.
yeah, pay those patent application fees and sell to these guys.
Thanks, I sent to Caterpillar and NU Energy :-)

global_frozing
Asternaut

Post by global_frozing » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:04 am

aristarchusinexile wrote:

Aleksey.
The Australians have a generator set into a glass tower which is open top and bottom .. the sun heating the air in the tower which powers the generator. This, however, contributes to global warming. The only immediate answer to the majority share of mankind's contribution to global warming is immediate economic collapse.
The peculiarity, Aristarch, peculiarity of the situation. The collapse will not help, you know. The greenhouse gases are already there. And they will be. Thousands years. Plus the feedback effects.

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:20 pm

global_frozing wrote:
aristarchusinexile wrote:

Aleksey.
The peculiarity, Aristarch, peculiarity of the situation. The collapse will not help, you know. The greenhouse gases are already there. And they will be. Thousands years. Plus the feedback effects.
An economic collapse would result in tens of millions of internal combusion engines sitting in driveways unused, unpolluting. It would result in a drastic reduction in electricity demand, possibly leading to shutting down of coal fired stations. The big electricity collapse in northeastern North America a few years ago revealed how nature can cleanse the atmosphere in a matter of hours if the sources are eliminated. I've also seen that same effect in rivers here in Canada over the past two years due to unusually large amounts of snow and rain. Yes, the gasses are in the atmosphere already, but a collapse would begin reduction. Environmental 'catastrophe' does seem an unavoidable occurence, though, those catastrophes being catastrophic for the human population, but a blessing for all other life forms because the human population's penchant for greed guarantees elimination of all other life forms before our own if it were to continue unchecked.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:50 am

I came across this paper, I thought it maybe worth sharing. I don't remember posting it before.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.3919
The evidence for and against astronomical impacts on climate change and mass extinctions: A review

Authors: C.A.L. Bailer-Jones (Max Planck Institute for Astronomy, Heidelberg)
(Submitted on 24 May 2009 (v1), last revised 23 Jun 2009 (this version, v2))
Abstract: Numerous studies over the past 30 years have suggested there is a causal connection between the motion of the Sun through the Galaxy and terrestrial mass extinctions or climate change. Proposed mechanisms include comet impacts (via perturbation of the Oort cloud), cosmic rays and supernovae, the effects of which are modulated by the passage of the Sun through the Galactic midplane or spiral arms. Supposed periodicities in the fossil record, impact cratering dates or climate proxies over the Phanerozoic (past 545 Myr) are frequently cited as evidence in support of these hypotheses. This remains a controversial subject, with many refutations and replies having been published. Here I review both the mechanisms and the evidence for and against the relevance of astronomical phenomena to climate change and evolution. This necessarily includes a critical assessment of time series analysis techniques and hypothesis testing. Some of the studies have suffered from flaws in methodology, in particular drawing incorrect conclusions based on ruling out a null hypothesis. I conclude that there is little evidence for intrinsic periodicities in biodiversity, impact cratering or climate on timescales of tens to hundreds of Myr. Furthermore, Galactic midplane and spiral arm crossings seem to have little or no impact on biological or climate variation above background level. (truncated)